JLT 1 - Tigers v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Will get another preseason game... So hopefully he can find more of the ball & make the most of his opportunities.

Wasn't a bust last night, but hardly a pick me performance. Hopefully blown away nerves playing for new club.

Our ball movement, disposal and decision making were crap. We have to get the ball to him before he can do anything with it.
Besides the easy miss from directly in front and the lack of talk+awareness that saw him get run down, he did some very nice things and chased/pressured well when not in possession. Dont think he will go too well in our forward line though.

Hard to judge considering that it was his first game at AFL since last seasons pre-season comp

Troy has now had a sighter and next week needs to step it up to give himself every opportunity

Yeah, a number of guys in that box I think. You can't tell that much from a practice match. Everybody was rusty. I think it was great to get rid of the cobwebs and the nerves for a few guys like Menzel, Wigg, Dear, Kelly. I thought those guys all had positive moments where you think, yeah if he can do that consistently then he will be a player. But other times they were probably poor if we are being honest. I didnt think CEY showed much to look forward to be honest. I was kind of watching and deliberately ignoring anything bad I saw, but hoping to see some positive things. I dont think I really saw anything from CEY. He looked a bit slow. Then there were guys that just killed it like Otten and Milera and I thought Hampton showed plenty.

It was also pleasing to see Douglas and everybody's favourite Mackay play relatively well. I think we will need those guys at least in the early part of the season while we get our players back from interrupted preseasons.

I thought Jacobs was disappointing even before injury. If he's out for a couple weeks I'd prefer to see how Dear and Jenkins go sharing ruck and forward line duties. Really liked Dear's leap and ability to win the ground ball in the ruck. Gave us another element in a midfield which needs more elements.

Think Troy took another step towards the "Bust" column rather than the "Boom" column last night..
One of the points he scored he should have gone over the top to a player free in close from memory?

IF....
If he had kicked the first goal, if he had handballed over instead of missing the second one, if he had got spoken to and not got caught in the tackle during the incisive forward thrust, ......then I would have been happy enough with his game. I think he's very rusty in the skills department: his effort looked OK.

I thought Jacobs was disappointing even before injury. If he's out for a couple weeks I'd prefer to see how Dear and Jenkins go sharing ruck and forward line duties. Really liked Dear's leap and ability to win the ground ball in the ruck. Gave us another element in a midfield which needs more elements.
I like the idea of that. Both Dear and JJ can kick goals in the forwars line and take 2nd ruck. Only problem is both are a bit undersized compared to some of the other rucks getting around like Gawn and Cox.
Both are around the size of Jackson Trengove.

Think Troy took another step towards the "Bust" column rather than the "Boom" column last night..
One of the points he scored he should have gone over the top to a player free in close from memory?
The club have to play him this year. To trade him in then not play him and then delist him would be a failure of list management of the highest order.

Dears recovery and ground work is what allows him to compete in the ruck.

He may lose the tap, but he has a hunger for the contest and is so quick to go after that loose ball.

Not saying he'll be a ruckman, but he can definitely pinch hit.

I prefer him as the chopout to Jenkins.

Jenkins is literally buying time for Jacobs and I never see him have any impact in the ruck.

The club have to play him this year. To trade him in then not play him and then delist him would be a failure of list management of the highest order.
we have better form there than Laird does on field

Dears recovery and ground work is what allows him to compete in the ruck.

He may lose the tap, but he has a hunger for the contest and is so quick to go after that loose ball.

Not saying he'll be a ruckman, but he can definitely pinch hit.

I prefer him as the chopout to Jenkins.

Jenkins is literally buying time for Jacobs and I never see him have any impact in the ruck.

To be honest I would prefer Jenkins be a full time forward. Arguably our best Key Forward.

Hmmm....I do agree with fool/preseason bit...:thumbsu:

I think you can extrapolate bad or very bad form in the pre season into the main one. We showed that under Sando.

On the flipside, you can take very little about good form in the pre-season into the main season - as evidenced by former pre-season champs who were main season chumps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep JJ was waiting there. earlier Eddie should have gone back and kicked the goal himself instead of trying to HB to Walker.

I thought Menzel's work rate was good last night, even if he didn't get the rewards. I liked seeing him in the D50 putting on tackling pressure, and then being involved in some transition plays when we got a fast break. If he keeps improving on that effort during the JLT he'll be there round 1 I reckon.

Look again, he was crap!

Seriously though, how good was it to see the 5 indigenous boys all play together last night!
Hampton, Betts, Cameron, Ellis-Yolmen and Milera. Hopefully we'll be having all 5 of those blokes play some decent footy together this season

Watching Milera he reminds me a lot of Peter Matera. And no disrespect to the great Peter Matera, but I reckon Milera may be able reach those lofty heights. Massive early call, but I'm making it.

It was great to see some Milera Magic again - hopefully we get many years of him tricking it up for us. And we have He Who Must Not Be Named to thank for having him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back