AFL Autopsy JLT 2: 28 point loss to Geelong

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Hopefully we can bounce back from a slow start to the year, but there were great signs in the last quarter against the Blues.
For this game against the Cats on their home turf we are going to have to be switched on from the start.
I'd like to see a few changes - and would have them line up something like;-

Ambrose Hartley McKenna
Gleeson Hooker Saad
Heppell Myers McGrath
Tippa Brown Smith
Stringer Daniher Fantasia

Z.Clarke Shiel Z.Merrett

Bench from:
Parish Langford Laverde Guelfi
Begley Dea Margaret McKernan

Not sure we can win this, but as long as we are competitive and have a good hit out with no injuries before the real stuff starts I will be happy! Go Dons :)

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Hopefully our senior mids can play more of a full game. Want to see us take something approximating our best 22 + the next 4 players. At least as much as is practical.

Looking forward to seeing Fantasia. With Tippa and Stringer looking in great nick and Daniher making his way back I'm super excited by this forward line.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Without the benefit of seeing the Carlton JLT game, and knowing Bags didn't play, there must be greater expectations on McGrath and Smith to provide defensive pressure when they go forward. Is Bags superceded? I hope not. He got shiny in 2017 and 2018.

Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Without the benefit of seeing the Carlton JLT game, and knowing Bags didn't play, there must be greater expectations on McGrath and Smith to provide defensive pressure when they go forward. Is Bags superceded? I hope not. He got shiny in 2017 and 2018.
Baguley did play, kicked 1 goal

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Want to see the team that won 10-4 against the Cats.

No more experimenting,no more "need to gel" stuff we want to hit rd 1 full of steam cant afford another 2-6 start.
How would you feel if we went all out to win at all costs and someone like Fantasia pulled a hammy? I just want us to get through with no injuries

vass44

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Bellcho, Hooker and Fanta the 3 definite best 22 that missed the first JLT - hopefully Myers plays also. Think we will keep Hartley in to play on Hawkins maybe. Hoping for a more consistent 4 quarter performance by our guys than what we put up against Carlton. A win against the Cats on their home turf would be good

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe because we feel like we area contender this year we didn’t want to go in too hard and increase the risk of injury before the season starts

Who knows just didn't like what I saw that's all. Carlton were able to move the ball and score far too easily when all summer we were supposedly improving the defensive part of our game. Lets hope we see a much better performance against the Cats because if we dish up the same thing I will have real concerns for the season.

ChampTurboBucko

All Australian
Jul 17, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Who knows just didn't like what I saw that's all. Carlton were able to move the ball and score far too easily when all summer we were supposedly improving the defensive part of our game. Lets hope we see a much better performance against the Cats because if we dish up the same thing I will have real concerns for the season.
Doesn't take much for you to have real concerns matey.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Would like to see 2 of Clarke (D), Mynott or Mutch get some time in this game. Need to have some exposure for our depth, particularly our inside-ish depth. Be nice to see Draper too, if TBell doesn't play full minutes.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Yeah I would be hoping we go a bit harder this game but its still not like the result matters

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Well the team has high expectations on them to deliver and they turn up with that performance against the wooden spooners in their first pratice game forgive me if I’m not a little disappointed.

Wooden spooners who are a game ahead in preparation & who played their starting midfield for most of the game while we fiddled around with ours. One change like Bellchambers in & I suspect we win that game comfortably despite our midfield rotations.

If we play poorly against the Cats, then some level of disappointment will be appropriate but after that? Yeah nah, I was more disappointed my pizza rocked up 10 minutes late on the night:p.

Last edited:
What’s the deal with Hooker will he even play this week?

Hmmm must have done a really bad hamstring (like a tear) that the club is not telling us about you don’t miss over a month with just hamstring tightness.
It’s a minor hamstring and he’s been on an alternate training program. It’s in his player thread. Like many other players he’s being managed into the season so we don’t wear ourselves out in round 2 and need to be rested.

Please stop catastrophising, the season hasn’t even started yet.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Back