Unofficial Preview JLT 2: Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

What are your thoughts, expectations and wants going into our second and final JLT match?

I'm hoping we test our gameplan with a full team bar Beams who will likely not play and once again win the conested football. If we can win the ball and kick at minimum 65% DE as a team we should see a much better Lions outfit on the weekend.

I get the feeling the suns will pip us but not concerned about the result.

I think we need to play Bailey with Zorks to curtail their quickies and Dizzie to knock Martin out of the game and we are certs.

What is an expectation again? Oh that's right - something that allows for disappointment when it is not met!

I *hope* we get no injuries and some small sign that when we meet St Kilda on the field of honour place-of-scoring-at-all-costs that we will be, at the very least, competitive.

I haven't that foggiest what to actually expect :(

We were competitive in some parts of the game though. So there was a semblance of competitiveness. It was just ruined by the bit where we were completely sub-standard.

Our major issue was really our disposal efficiency. Had we converted our shots and kicked at an AFL level standard we'd have looked a much better side. Would have still lost but would have been discussing a competitive 20-30 point loss.

Hoping to see Payne and Rayner keep their spots. I am actually looking more forward to seeing Payne as l didn't see the 1st game. Body and size to have an immediate impact and to take the monster forwards. We have had problems in the past with those types of forwards and would allow Andrews to be the interceptor

What are your thoughts, expectations and wants going into our second and final JLT match?

I'm hoping we test our gameplan with a full team bar Beams who will likely not play and once again win the conested football. If we can win the ball and kick at minimum 65% DE as a team we should see a much better Lions outfit on the weekend.

I get the feeling the suns will pip us but not concerned about the result.

Thoughts
  • I agree that it's wise to take preseason results with a grain of salt. On the other hand, wouldn't mind a win.

Expectations

• I think we’ll see a much sharper effort from Mitch and Christensen. Mitch especially looked like he was pacing himself for the first game back.

• I reckon Rayner will get a little more involved and is going to develop nicely as he gets the pace of the game. He looks an archetype of the high impact-per-possession player (I started to think this around the 55m flying shot off his non-preferred). It felt to me like a good five touch outing, if such a thing exists.

Wants

• Everyone stays healthy

• McStay to play predominantly in the backline. I get what the coaches are doing, but I think he’s better back there and could do with some continuity.

• McCluggage didn't have a great game 1, but he did show substantial improvement in the area he most needed to improve. I'd like to see the same from Mathieson (decision-making), Robertson (decision-making) and Keays (calmness/cleanness) this week. Improvement from the older guys (Bastinac and Bell especially) would be a bonus, but I’d like to see us turn one or two more younger prospects into deserving locks in the 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have been crap at contested possession for so long - essentially equalling the swans would have been a big confidence booster.

So the players are confident in what they can do well from last year, and now they know the can hold their own in contested possessions.

Managing all at once will be very challenging. I expect them to veer widely between their strengths during game and frustrate the bejesus out of us as they learn to integrate it all. But at least they have shown they can learn.

Gold Coast looked good last week, and I was impressed with their stoppage structures particularly. They don't really like defending one on one though and will cheat a bit in defence, which is something they've always done, even under McKenna. So if we can hit targets with our disposal this weekend we should be able to nullify a lot of what they want to do defensively.

JLT 2 Squad:

Backs 32. Sam Mayes 25. Dan McStay 27. Darcy Gardiner
Half-backs 2. Luke Hodge 31. Harris Andrews 29. Alex Witherden
Centreline 10. Daniel Rich 15. Dayne Zorko (C) 19. Jacob Allison
Half-forwards 28. Lewy Taylor 14. Josh Walker 6. Hugh McCluggage
Forwards 5. Mitch Robinson 30. Eric Hipwood 23. Charlie Cameron
Followers 12. Stef Martin 13. Jarrod Berry 36. Rhys Mathieson
Interchange 1. Ben Keays 3. Allen Christensen 4. Ryan Bastinac
7. Tom Bell 8. Rohan Bewick 16. Cam Rayner
18. Nick Robertson 20. Cedric Cox 35. Ryan Lester
40. Jack Payne 43. Jake Barrett 46. Oscar McInerney

Gold Coast looked good last week, and I was impressed with their stoppage structures particularly. They don't really like defending one on one though and will cheat a bit in defence, which is something they've always done, even under McKenna. So if we can hit targets with our disposal this weekend we should be able to nullify a lot of what they want to do defensively.

Nine nine.

Hoping for no injuries more than anything. Sticking to a game plan will always be difficult with the amt of subs running on and off so probably looking for individual improvement in the areas asked by coaches. Really hoping jack payne gets a good run, more game time into him the better. Playing on franklin and lynch in his first two runs is a real challenge. Not overly worried about the score but a bit more accuracy around goal would be good to see. Also hoping hipwood can hold on to a few more marks.

Yeah no Cutler what's the story ? Seems to be a message being sent.
Has he really ever shown anything substantial? Yes he could get 20 odd touches and score a goal but the way he plays he's more an athlete than a footballer IMO. Would really like for him to improve his loose ball gets and desire to go in and under though... I think once that part of his game comes along he will be a decent option on the flanks or even the wings.

Has he really ever shown anything substantial? Yes he could get 20 odd touches and score a goal but the way he plays he's more an athlete than a footballer IMO. Would really like for him to improve his loose ball gets and desire to go in and under though... I think once that part of his game comes along he will be a decent option on the flanks or even the wings.
He already has a new role on the wing, doesn't he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back