Richmond, Vic.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
SMOSH/Celtics
Highlights.
Crouchx2 69 touches, but 14 tackles as well. Elite
Our Fab Four mids (+Gibbs/Sloane) are as good as any 4 in the comp
Jacobs improved significantly from last week.
Milera 29 @ 100% (though I reckon he missed a handball target)
Smith, Seedsman, laird across half back. Elite skills, elite decision makers. Smith particularly.
Jones tackling and kicking 😍
Liked knights game, but I always do. Not the most talented on the list but brings the right intensity at all times.
Talia/Doedee both set for AA standard years.

Not so good:
Atkins into Man on the mark twice. Carn.
Same old Kelly and Hartigan. Great one minute, shambles the next.
Dougie looked off the pace in the first quarter. I think he’ll still play rd 1 but there’s plenty of pressure behind him. I see galluci as a like for like for him, so he’s probably lucky the gooch is underdone. Experienced though when the pressure goes up in the real stuff.

Jenkins/lynch perhaps adapting to new roles in 6-6-6 - they’re probably the two players most negatively affected.

I’d say ROB/CEY/FOG TO drop out
Keath or hartigan.
And then Maybe greenwood for Douglas/Murphy/jones.
Super side!

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has a lot to do with the type Hately is I reckon, one of those industrious ball winners who does a lot of good, but doesn't tend to do much which stands out.

I was totally unaware of him during the match. However, when they were reading out the names of the players of both teams at the start, there was very loud cheering from behind for only one player: Hately! Perhaps his family was there?

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
The most significant factor tonight was our change in structure. Basically we have replaced a tall in the forward line with a small. Sadly The FOG may have to be patient.

So.... Keath is not in our best 22? Why did we play him on the oppositions best forward for much of the night?

Luke Brown is a big loss but we might play Hartigan on the oppositions best medium/small forward rather than Kelly.

Unless there are injuries, it looks like it comes down to tonights squad minus ROB, CEY and FOG plus Greenwood.

Assuming THE MIGHTY THOR comes in, who are the last two to miss out.
Murphy, Douglas, Jones, Kelly, Hartigan or Keath?

My choice is Kelly and Douglas (not gunna happen).
Keath has a lot of upside imo and will play around 20 games this year barring injury. Keath also showed tonight that he has a good leap and is the better option going forward. Don needs to say to Keath if he is the preferred option, "Where backing you in for the first 10 matches, show us what you can do". I feel he will play better knowing 1 mistake will not cost him selection. Kyle has peaked and unfortunately lacks composure and kicking efficiency. There will be games he is played but I don't see him as first choice 22.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He will get in for Dougy about round 3-5
Watch round 23 against Carlton last year anyone who thinks Gallucci is not best 22. I know Carlto are s**t but Gallucci is easily best 22 when fit. The question is though whether Mcadam's aerial ability (once fit) is a greater asset to the team as our contested marking can be suspect in the forward line.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
And went at half pace for a fair bit too.

We don't seem to be showing our full hand at kickouts for some reason.

I had exactly the same thought about the kickouts. This was another area where we didn't look too good. There was not too much running clear and playing on, although Smith clearly wanted to on occasion. Part of the reason was that GWS had all their players down there as well, really clogging it up.

In fact, the 666 did very little in this match. Much of the time, all 36 players were in a quarter of the playing area! There was a lot of flooding.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jenkins had a typical lazy pre-season game early, but I was very pleased with his effort in the third when he chased a very fast oppo player all the way to the wing, and then chased another, just restraining himself from clipping him around the ear, contributing to a breakdown of their attack at half-forward. He also threw his body around in the ruck more than usual.

Captain Morgan

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I haven’t felt this confident since we smashed the pies in a game in Dubai many years ago.

Observations:

1. Sailor jerry is a nice alternative to captain morgan. Same pirate clan so it’s all above board right ?

2. The exuberance of youth made the young players perform. Douglas is a veteran, we will need his experience when the pressure is on

3. Only 2 weeks to go right ?

I haven’t felt this confident since we smashed the pies in a game in Dubai many years ago.

Observations:

1. Sailor jerry is a nice alternative to captain morgan. Same pirate clan so it’s all above board right ?

2. The exuberance of youth made the young players perform. Douglas is a veteran, we will need his experience when the pressure is on

3. Only 2 weeks to go right ?

14 days today now.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Jenkins had a typical lazy pre-season game early, but I was very pleased with his effort in the third when he chased a very fast oppo player all the way to the wing, and then chased another, just restraining himself from clipping him around the ear, contributing to a breakdown of their attack at half-forward. He also threw his body around in the ruck more than usual.
I thought he was gonna he absolute horrendous in 2018 based on his preseason form. Could not have given less of a crap in those JLT games.

I was totally unaware of him during the match. However, when they were reading out the names of the players of both teams at the start, there was very loud cheering from behind for only one player: Hately! Perhaps his family was there?

The only time I remember him was Tex crunching him.

Though his draft profile really seemed like one of those will be an industrious piece in the midfield, but one of those types that just won't be noticed

I had exactly the same thought about the kickouts. This was another area where we didn't look too good. There was not too much running clear and playing on, although Smith clearly wanted to on occasion. Part of the reason was that GWS had all their players down there as well, really clogging it up.

In fact, the 666 did very little in this match. Much of the time, all 36 players were in a quarter of the playing area! There was a lot of flooding.

Don't expect 666 to do much at all in matches with good quality sides just because the changes are either temporary, or defensive structures will just adjust to the change (something we saw tonight with zonal set ups from kick ins). It may however have the unintended consequence of causing a few more beltings seeing it'll stop bad teams from stemming the bleeding.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't expect 666 to do much at all in matches with good quality sides. It may however have the unintended consequence of causing more beltings.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out. It certainly is looking that way initially, but it's still early. If the AFL don't get what they are after do they double down and enforce 6-6-6 at all stoppages ?? I highly doubt they scrap the starting positions now that they are in.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. It certainly is looking that way initially, but it's still early. If the AFL don't get what they are after do they double down and enforce 6-6-6 at all stoppages ?? I highly doubt they scrap the starting positions now that they are in.

You'd be thinking the AFL would give it a few years to let the dust settle, however, your main problem with any of these ideas is that fundamentally, ides like pressure and defensive set up are much easier to replicate methods to win games then just going for the shootout.

That said, it may end up being inevitable that we end up having a netball set up of positions being enforced. It'd be and utterly stupid, but the AFL is chasing an utterly stupid goal of trying to make this game more reminiscent to the '80s instead of accepting that era is dead, buried and won't ever come back.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
What’s wrong with him? Thought he was very knowledgeable and actually just calls the play.

Questioning if Milera was best 22 in the first quarter, then we had "Milera has answered that question" in the last quarter.

Come on, anyone that just follow footy even a little bit would know Milera is starting 18 for us, a paid commentator certainly should.

Sorry if your post was being sarcastic not serious.

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
Questioning if Milera was best 22 in the first quarter, then we had "Milera has answered that question" in the last quarter.

Come on, anyone that just follow footy even a little bit would know Milera is starting 18 for us, a paid commentator certainly should.

Sorry if your post was being sarcastic not serious.
I could not believe my ears when I heard this.

It will be looked back as one of the most ridiculous calls from a commentator ever!

Seriously?! The kid is a freaking jet.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers

There's not a snowballs chance in hell that coaches are going to cave to the AFLs misguided efforts to force "one on one footy". The game is about controlling the ball. There's nothing to be gained from a long bomb that can be turned over with everyone caught forward of the play. Zones have pushed back a little, but it's basically the same set up as it always has been.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
It was always the thin edge of the wedge. In two years time it will be netball with forced zones. Good times... not

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
You'd be thinking the AFL would give it a few years to let the dust settle, however, your main problem with any of these ideas is that fundamentally, ides like pressure and defensive set up are much easier to replicate methods to win games then just going for the shootout.

That said, it may end up being inevitable that we end up having a netball set up of positions being enforced. It'd be and utterly stupid, but the AFL is chasing an utterly stupid goal of trying to make this game more reminiscent to the '80s instead of accepting that era is dead, buried and won't ever come back.
The only thing that'll work is by getting coaches to change their mind on tactics. I remember last year Collingwood and Brisbane had a free flowing shootout that they won 121-114. Everyone raved what a great match it was and in the after match presser Buckley was beyond pissed they'd run the score up so high and weren't controlling the ball more. All Buckley does in a 6-6-6 formation is have the winger immediately push pack and sends a forward straight up and within 10 seconds of the ball being thrown up its like the rule doesn't exist anyway.

It's what Phil Walsh had said when questioned why he let Fyfe and Danger run head to head instead of tagging them. Sometimes you just gotta make the game enjoyable for the fans, but it seems few coaches share that sentiment.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Teams know thats a massive strength for us I guess.

The rule won't make much difference from set shots IMO, teams will be organised to setup.

Back