JLT-2 Crows v GWS on Friday 8 March at 6.40 p.m. ACDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you notice he makes s**t up to suit a certain narrative when he analyses play?

He does!

Sometimes - sometimes - he sees little things that are quite insightful

But then he also sees things that aren’t there. Like when he said a GWS player did a shimmy to the inside before turning outside, “he took half a step to his right...”. Replay shows he did no such thing

And overall it’s the whiny detailed way he says everything. Keep it simple Dermie

The only thing that'll work is by getting coaches to change their mind on tactics. I remember last year Collingwood and Brisbane had a free flowing shootout that they won 121-114. Everyone raved what a great match it was and in the after match presser Buckley was beyond pissed they'd run the score up so high and weren't controlling the ball more. All Buckley does in a 6-6-6 formation is have the winger immediately push pack and sends a forward straight up and within 10 seconds of the ball being thrown up its like the rule doesn't exist anyway.

It's what Phil Walsh had said when questioned why he let Fyfe and Danger run head to head instead of tagging them. Sometimes you just gotta make the game enjoyable for the fans, but it seems few coaches share that sentiment.

I can't blame Buckley being ropable there, seeing all of the fundamentals just didn't happen. Good chance for a statement too.

It's not a coaches job to make it enjoyable for the fans, just to win.

Forward line sputtered a little tonight all except for Walker who really looked good. the midfield and defence were very good. Milera huge numbers and a great game. Chayce..... his tackling was nuts. Something we have lacked since Charlie was around.
We generated plenty of scoring opportunities, the players just failed to kick the ball between the big sticks. Goal kicking accuracy was deplorable from both teams, particularly considering how good the playing conditions were. No wind, no dew, yet both sides were barely at 40% when kicking for goal. How many set shots did we miss, and how many fell just short from easily kickable ranges?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

We generated plenty of scoring opportunities, the players just failed to kick the ball between the big sticks. Goal kicking accuracy was deplorable from both teams, particularly considering how good the playing conditions were. No wind, no dew, yet both sides were barely at 60% when kicking for goal. How many set shots did we miss, and how many fell just short from easily kickable ranges?

I think with the new kick out rule we may want to limit our misses.
Up to now haven’t seen too much damage done offensively from the kick out but perhaps come round 1 the new tactics may be more evident.
It could be that a shot for goal could decide the game in the last few plays. More so than before.

Up to now haven’t seen too much damage done offensively from the kick out but perhaps come round 1 the new tactics may be more evident.
It could be that a shot for goal could decide the game in the last few plays. More so than before.
If we're trying to limit our misses, then last night was an epic failure for both teams.

A lot of GWS shots were from general play, but Adelaide missed a lot of very gettable set shots.

Very good point

It’ll be interesting. The new rule means every team will have a player eg Smith capable of roosting it to about the wing. The down side of that is that the longer the ball is in the air over distance the easier it is to get to, so it’ll be to a contest

Will be interesting to see various tactics develop and be countered

I can't blame Buckley being ropable there, seeing all of the fundamentals just didn't happen. Good chance for a statement too.

It's not a coaches job to make it enjoyable for the fans, just to win.
No, but that's the game the AFL want and the coaches are going to do everything in their power to stop it from happening.

Fashion police to Alberton please !

White top black shorts black Sox

What a dog’s breakfast !

If we're trying to limit our misses, then last night was an epic failure for both teams.

A lot of GWS shots were from general play, but Adelaide missed a lot of very gettable set shots.

I counted one walker miss that was deliberate, took a step then kicked, gets a point, carefactor zero. I reckon he might have deliberately missed another too.

Questioning if Milera was best 22 in the first quarter, then we had "Milera has answered that question" in the last quarter.

Come on, anyone that just follow footy even a little bit would know Milera is starting 18 for us, a paid commentator certainly should.

Sorry if your post was being sarcastic not serious.
I don't think the wider footy community would know if he was definite starting 18. But seriously, one comment you disagree with and the guy can't commentate? Might as well say you can't do your job if you make one mistake.

Highlights.
Crouchx2 69 touches, but 14 tackles as well. Elite
Our Fab Four mids (+Gibbs/Sloane) are as good as any 4 in the comp
Jacobs improved significantly from last week.
Milera 29 @ 100% (though I reckon he missed a handball target)
Smith, Seedsman, laird across half back. Elite skills, elite decision makers. Smith particularly.
Jones tackling and kicking 😍
Liked knights game, but I always do. Not the most talented on the list but brings the right intensity at all times.
Talia/Doedee both set for AA standard years.

Not so good:
Atkins into Man on the mark twice. Carn.
Same old Kelly and Hartigan. Great one minute, shambles the next.
Dougie looked off the pace in the first quarter. I think he’ll still play rd 1 but there’s plenty of pressure behind him. I see galluci as a like for like for him, so he’s probably lucky the gooch is underdone. Experienced though when the pressure goes up in the real stuff.

Jenkins/lynch perhaps adapting to new roles in 6-6-6 - they’re probably the two players most negatively affected.

I’d say ROB/CEY/FOG TO drop out
Keath or hartigan.
And then Maybe greenwood for Douglas/Murphy/jones.
Super side!
Can’t see Greenwood round 1 , we will give him 3 games sanfl for fitness , missed big chunk of pre season and his fitness is his only real weakness

No need to rush him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do have history of playing Greenwood in round 1 of limited preparation

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And Hawks don’t really have anyone that can go with him. But that might also be a reason not to pick him. If it was Sydney for example we might be more tempted.

But R1 you can play well and still lose if the other team can run over the top of you in the last quarter. Its a long season, I don’t see the need to rush him back in.

Watch round 23 against Carlton last year anyone who thinks Gallucci is not best 22. I know Carlto are s**t but Gallucci is easily best 22 when fit. The question is though whether Mcadam's aerial ability (once fit) is a greater asset to the team as our contested marking can be suspect in the forward line.

Shoulda traded Gallucci last year after bringing in so many smalls . Get something while you can considering he was a first rounder and it was a super draft . Jones, Stengle , McAdam and McHenry will all be in front of him next year and Gooch’s trajectory isn’t looking great .

Yes Gallucci improved last year I agree and that’s why I said get something while you can but aside from that Carlton game and one other in the back half he didn’t do anything exciting that makes me say he’s gonna be a gun . Milera for eg was always gonna get bigger which was gonna help whereas Gooch is already big and probably biggest he will get and he still doesn’t know how to use his strength in a game , he’s a little flaky. Anyway just my opinion .

Fox Footy used to have an option to mute the commentary and just play sound from the effects mics.

I guess that got too popular and the in air "talent" didnt like it.

You could also pick a ca.era angle. I quite often watched the games from the long and high view.

Let's start a petition! Seriously though a response from Foxtel in regards to why they ditched this would be nice. Probably say costs $$$.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watching the womans team and the quicker ball movement they have shown and then seeing a similar style in the men's team is promising in this regard.

It is good to win games in a grind. Even better to do it and be entertained.

In those middle 2 quarters when we pulled away I noticed quite a few of those heart in mouth passes which were a thing in 2017.
It’s something we’ve gotten better at over the last few years the accurate kick through traffic (Hawthorn like) coupled with fast ball movement.

Dermie has done some coaching at GWS. Still mentors their forwards.

He knows his stuff when he is interested.

He ain't interested in us. Only sees us when paid to talk at our games. It shows when he has our games.

He is a poor commentator. But pretty good on League Teams. Apart from our games lol.
He used to really love Roo and Macca back in the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back