Preview JLT 2: Fremantle vs West Coast. Sunday 4:10pm @ Rushton Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant help feel a bit uneasy that the captain of the club wasn’t named again due to recovering from a surgery that just had to wait until after AFLX. Surely Freo should be trying to get their best 22 to gel during JLT and Fyfe is a pretty significant part of how they will play. Not so sure other clubs would have allowed this situation to arise.

In regards to Brayshaw and Gaff I think AB is showing incredible maturity and setting a fantastic example for kids and adults alike. The kid seems to be a class act on and off the field and we are really fortunate to have picked him up in my opinion.

Geez West Coast have named a strong squad. Every single one of their midfielders is fit and available currently. They only have 4 injuries total atm - and three of those they think might be available round 1, and they are talking about NN returning by round 9.

FFS how can we compete when our player availability is always miles behind the best teams? I know Spurr used to be held together mostly by strapping tape and bandages... it appears our whole team is these days.

Apparantly our S&C team aren't to blame... ever. It's never their fault... ever. They're great.
They’re ******* s**t and I’m so so sick of being cruelled by injuries to quality players every year before we ever get a run at it.

Come on people keep your nerve and have faith. As has been quoted ad nauseum JLT games mean diddly squat.

Let’s take the opportunity to see how some of the newbies handle more pressure than they’ve had to before.

Win or lose it will have no bearing on how we will perform during the real season, but it just may reveal some potential stars of the future.

We will have played the reigning Premiers and the other Grand Finalist, what better test of our mettle could there be.

Come on people keep your nerve and have faith. As has been quoted ad nauseum JLT games mean diddly squat.

Let’s take the opportunity to see how some of the newbies handle more pressure than they’ve had to before.

Win or lose it will have no bearing on how we will perform during the real season, but it just may reveal some potential stars of the future.

We will have played the reigning Premiers and the other Grand Finalist, what better test of our mettle could there be.
Fit. Available. On the same page.

Fit - seems ok. Nothing too outstanding, but not miles behind other teams.

Available - 5-6 of our B22 likely to miss early games (which are winnable, but possibly need all hands on deck).

On the same page - our forward line has barely practiced together. Our best midfield has yet to even play a scratchy together. Our defenders were quite poor in JLT1. The connection between the lines will obviously take time, but feels like it’ll be an untried lineup for round one.

Buckle yourselves in! Feels very much like another development year, and quite possibly another large list turnover at the end of the season.

Totally agree with what you said btw. It’s great development for our youngsters. And am expecting some urgency from fringe players pushing for selection - McCarthy in particular.

There is a scratch match between Peel and West Coast WAFL side starting at 12:30 so you will be able to catch a look at any of the non-selected players who are fit enough to suit up. I'm looking forward to that almost as much as the JLT game.[/QUOTE
Won't be able to get there for the curtain raiser but like you am looking forward to see how the fitness of the depth players is going.
Am yet to find any information on when and where remaining pre season hitouts for peel will take place

Cant help feel a bit uneasy that the captain of the club wasn’t named again due to recovering from a surgery that just had to wait until after AFLX. Surely Freo should be trying to get their best 22 to gel during JLT and Fyfe is a pretty significant part of how they will play. Not so sure other clubs would have allowed this situation to arise.

In regards to Brayshaw and Gaff I think AB is showing incredible maturity and setting a fantastic example for kids and adults alike. The kid seems to be a class act on and off the field and we are really fortunate to have picked him up in my opinion.

Have to agree.......this is a bit of a joke. Our injury management once again seems beyond poor.

Nat Fyfe, Stephen Hill, Connor Blakely are the only three guys missing from our known best 22 and everyone is jumping at shadows, i think we all need to simmer down a little bit.

Yeah it would be good to see more run from Logue and Switta, but i doubt Switta is a best 22 and i doubt as my live and breathe right now Logue is a huge upgrade on Hughes of Duman.

Sandi and Bennell you can't count as best 22 right now.

Mods any chance of a reverse swear filter that immediately changes Andrew Gaff to Andrew GAGF

In the highly likely event this is not possible I would like to see some self editing by the rest of you guys

I will do my bit

Count on it

Funnily enough I was pretty much over it till his tribunal meeting , anyone who regrets what they did doesn't bring in 8 character witnesses including his f***ing u12 cricket coach

Toad

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Its Bizare that a convicted thug who is still suspended can line up against the team he transgressed against...doesn't seem right because it isn't and think thats why im getting fired up about..
Im thinking about inviting the burglar who stole my 60inch television back around for a couple of beers and ask him what he thinks about the new 80 inch one

It definitely doesn’t sit right with me. He’s still suspended so why does JLT not count? I know in previous years if a player got rubbed out during pre season they could still play pre season and just miss regular season game (Sandilands a few years back) but that was during pre season - not in the middle of a suspension

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckle yourselves in! Feels very much like another development year, and quite possibly another large list turnover at the end of the season.

Aye. I differ on one point in that I think we are done with the big list turnovers now. But it is a consolidation year, getting all those new parts to work together as a well oiled machine will take a while e.g. our shiny new toys in Hogan etc.

And as you say a development year too. 25 possessions in the midfield from Brayshaw is great, but 25 possessions will be better if it inched up to the 30 mark and beyond (he's not a meat and potatoes player, this man is one of our stars in the making) - we have a lot of young men on the list that need more time to develop. A couple of possessions and disposals each by the end of the year from those 20 and under adds up to a decent amount of extra oomph for us - and less oomph for the opposition, almost the difference in having an extra player on or off the field.

So 2019 a consolidation and development year and a hell of a team in the making, 2020 and beyond we will be one hell of a team.

From what I can see, we are pretty much testing any potential 22 player for 2019 between JLT1 and 2 and see how they go - as opposed to the usual get R1 team working together in JLT2. Looks like the first half of the year will be largely developmental as we work out the new game plan, synergy between all the new faces, and see who is actually going to be best 2 going forward.

Funnily enough I was pretty much over it till his tribunal meeting , anyone who regrets what they did doesn't bring in 8 character witnesses including his f***ing u12 cricket coach

he acted exactly as i would have expected a player from the Weagles to act. He was probably a nice humble guy before he arrived there.

Club has released actual team for Sunday...

HB: L.Ryan 38 J.Hamling 21 N.Wilson 14
HB: T.Colyer 33 A.Pearce 25 D.Tucker 18
HB: A.Cerra 5 D.Mundy - C 16 B.Hill 9
HB: E.Hughes 15 M.Walters 10 E.Langdon 26
HB: B.Banfield 41 J.Hogan 11 R.Lobb 37
HB: S.Darcy 4 R.Conca 6 A.Brayshaw 8

HB I/C: M.Taberner 20 B.Matera 3 H.Ballantyne 1 S.Giro 42 C.McCarthy 23 34 S.Jones 40 S.Sturt 27 R.Nyhuis 43

HB I/C: M.Taberner 20 B.Matera 3 H.Ballantyne 1 S.Giro 42 C.McCarthy 23 34 S.Jones 40 S.Sturt 27 R.Nyhuis 43

So who missed out? Bewley, Schultz, Jones and one other?

EDIT: And Duman. He was a little disappointing on the weekend. Also missed Jones is actually named, Cox is out, did he hurt himself late in the game?

EDIT: And Duman. He was a little disappointing on the weekend. Also missed Jones is actually named, Cox is out, did he hurt himself late in the game?
Sorry, this was not meant to be take seriously - I have no idea who is in and out. It was just about getting everyone into a half back position.

And of course Ballas and Matera getting a run come what may! ;)

Looks good, plenty of run off Half Back. Also rucking and goal kicking.

Yeah, reckon Cox is sore at the very least after that game (certainly looked it). Good idea to rest him (no way is he playing for Peel).

I also take from naming Jones and Darcy that Lobb will play the full game as an forward.

Not going to be many Freo players turning out for Peel I reckon!!!

From what I can see, we are pretty much testing any potential 22 player for 2019 between JLT1 and 2 and see how they go - as opposed to the usual get R1 team working together in JLT2. Looks like the first half of the year will be largely developmental as we work out the new game plan, synergy between all the new faces, and see who is actually going to be best 2 going forward.

Naming Sturt for the last practice game was the interesting one as I don't think he is AFL ready. Perhaps there actually has been a change in the coach and newbies will continue to get opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back