Preview JLT 2: Fremantle vs West Coast. Sunday 4:10pm @ Rushton Park.

estibador

purple haze
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Right. Two blokes who don't play and a dude who was dropped to Peel.

You're not helping restore my faith in the List Manager.
That's wasn't the argument I was replying to though. It was whether the penny had dropped at Freo that small forwards were important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simmofreo

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
I'm not normally a pessimist with Freo but I feel like I have turned a blind eye for too long regarding the rotten support staff, skills, and team structure. We do well for the first quarter, hiding poor skills with immense pressure, but as soon as the opposition begins to mount that pressure back onto us or our players tire, everything goes to ****. It's like a bloody rotten shed, kick in the door and the whole thing collapses.
100% agree

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFL Club
Fremantle
If I was Ross Lyon I would be considering not playing Wilson RD1. The new kick in rules were meant to make it easier for players to escape the forward 50 zones. Yet, Wilson turned it over twice from kick outs inside 50, giving West Coast two shots at goal. Wilson's disposal around the ground was also very average, not at the level we need and expect of him.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Right. Two blokes who don't play and a dude who was dropped to Peel.

You're not helping restore my faith in the List Manager.
Should I list who WC and the Tigers have got in the same time?

Seriously, our club doesn’t get it. Schultz and Swita. With late picks. That’s it! Matera ain’t too bad a trade but he’s like treacle. Do we ever wonder why WC weren’t interested in him? Being a family name there and a son of one of their past players.

AFL Club
Fremantle
No worries bro. Save this chat for round 18. Let's have the same chat then when we are solid bottom of the ladder.

Talk then.

I am an inaugural member. I know how this season will turn out. I admire your confidence

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nah mate, I think you should keep the flexing and save it for next years JLT series.

JLT > Premiership Season

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's wasn't the argument I was replying to though. It was whether the penny had dropped at Freo that small forwards were important.
You think it has? 2 picks in 2 years. Both mature age, both late picks. Clearly a high priority. Have a look who the good clubs are targeting. Speed, skill and smarts.

rgauci

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
I love the “sack the fitness staff” comments. Makes me giggle. I’m sure if Cox didn’t hurt his hand last week, he certainly wouldn’t have done a hammy today. Hahaha.
Rubbish it was his hand. He. Got knocked on the inside of the leg. He would of been favoring one side. Leads to hamstring injuries.

estibador

purple haze
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
You think it has? 2 picks in 2 years. Both mature age, both late picks. Clearly a high priority. Have a look who the good clubs are targeting. Speed, skill and smarts.
C'mon, one of the guys you were melting over the eagles picking up was a mature age mid-range pick too. One many laughed at on here due to the way one of our fringe players would blanket him in the WAFL every time they met. And the other one was pick 52 - clearly a high priority.

Drafting using the benefit of hindsight is easy though isn't it?

Small forwards aren't traditionally a position that clubs spend high draft picks on.

Last edited:

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
AFL Club
Fremantle
About what you'd expect with the premiers playing a bottom 4 team, which I suspect we will be again.

Really highlighted again the difference between a well coached team with a gameplan and our effort based hit it and hope method.
WC have classy, dangerous small forwards and we have Ballantyne and Matera who do not much of anything.
They hit up leads in the forward half and we hack it forward at any opportunity.

I doubt we'll see much of Sandi & Hill and nothing of Bennell this year so there isn't a lot to look forward to.
Just so many poorly skilled players out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
C'mon, one of the guys you were melting over the eagles picking up was a mature age mid-range pick too. One many laughed at on here due to the way one of our fringe players would blanket him in the WAFL every time they met. Judging using the benefit of hindsight is easy though isn't it?

Small forwards aren't traditionally a position that clubs spend high draft picks on.
One shouldn’t judge a draft pick by the opinions of Freo Bigfooty posters. WC obviously saw a need for speed and natural forward flair and went at him, with an earlyish pick. Took the risk on Rioli too. Because he had what they wanted, again, speed and natural forward flair. Both are working out just fine.

Venables is a medium forward that they went early on. Pettrucelle, the quickest of the lot, even though they had a few by then, went not much later. Waterman was a lucky father son.

And even after having all of those, they went and took Cameron.

The Tigers took Rioli and Higgins with first round picks. Shea Bolton with a second. Then have since stockpiled Butler, Graham, Baker, Castagna, based a game plan around it and won a flag.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
AFL Club
Fremantle
One shouldn’t judge a draft pick by the opinions of Freo Bigfooty posters. WC obviously saw a need for speed and natural forward flair and went at him, with an earlyish pick. Took the risk on Rioli too. Because he had what they wanted, again, speed and natural forward flair. Both are working out just fine.

Venables is a medium forward that they went early on. Pettrucelle, the quickest of the lot, even though they had a few by then, went not much later. Waterman was a lucky father son.

The Tigers took Rioli and Higgins with first round picks. Shea Bolton with a second. Then have since stockpiled Butler, Graham, Baker, Castagna, based a game plan around it and won a flag.
Great post. Highlights a big flaw in our drafting. We prefer forwards to chase and tackle than hit the scoreboard. The ones we have don't even do much of the latter past about 1/4 time. About the only exciting small to medium forward we've drafted Sturt is years away and will have to do a 3 year apprenticeship at half back by which time all the flair will have been knocked out of him.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
AFL Club
Fremantle
You boys never fail to disappoint hey!!
What do you guys plan on doing during September out of interest ??
I think you're still allowed to watch football if the team you support isn't playing finals.
And really? You're team won a flag, looks like having another good year and you feel the need to come here and be a smartarse?
The words, get a life, come to mind.

wayToGo_

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cameron was an academy player.

Credit to them that the Ryan gamble paid off. I don't think many realise how extremely close that all went pear shaped though. Knowing what I know I am very glad we did not go down that path... the media would have treated us completely differently and revealed a bunch of stuff they haven't given he is at WCE.

Wally Walpamur

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Celtics
Just looked at the summary and my God we got belted in key areas:

Clearances (27-55)
Centre clearances (5-18)
Inside 50’s (46-60)
Marks Inside 50 (6-19)

Those tell me our midfield got belted, which put so much pressure on our defenders who also played like shite. I don’t think Fyfe coming back fixes all of those issues.

wayToGo_

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree wholeheartedly on many of the criticisms (mostly it was a bit of a dog of a game by us after quarter time - everyone knows the 'issues' we don't need to list them) but...

Darcy is a 20yo coming in fresh for his first semi-competitive hit out of the pre-season. He was understandably rusty but he also did a couple of sublime taps. He'll be better for the run - like all players, and specially young ones, just needs to blow out the cobwebs. Hopefully he'll be ready by round 1 :) But if not Lobb can carry a bit more ruck load to help ease him in.

Hogan was a heap better. Equal top of our score involvements with 8 (Walters the other) and 20 disposals. It's his 2nd game in our side - he'll build and our players will learn to use him better. Was on the ground for 87% - so he's ticking a few boxes.

Lobb wasn't great but he at least presented time and time again. Poor guy was playing forward in the intraclub, then main ruck last week, and now back to forward again this week. He'll settle, just needs time.

Cox going down sucked. Thought our structure was starting to take shape well when he was out there.

Conca was good imo. It's his 1st game coming back from injury and 1st ever game with this team. He worked hard, did some good things, like one of his kicks i50 was bang on but also made a far few mistakes. Is he rusty or just crap? I think we should wait for a few regular season games before judging.

Hughes looked the goods and so much better when he is given freedom to attack. Most intercepts on the ground with 11. Is a lock for Round 1. Got criticised on here for some poor kicks but often there was nobody for him to kick to at those times. 5 i50s was a good sign but like all our players, our forward line needs to move better, and the ball carrier not just bomb long. For a guy most people expect us to delist, he was one of our best.

Tucker started strong and faded but he's settling into the new role still - we have to expect a bit of inconsistency within games. Overall the signs look better though. Most people had pencilled him to delist a couple of weeks back. 8 tackles - tick.

Brayshaw was good again - just a solid all rounder.

Did anyone really expect an underdone Darcy, Tucker, Brayshaw and Mundy/Conca with Langdon and Giro on the outside to match it with West Coast's first choice midfield that was stronger than the one that won a premiership last year? Sandi, Fyfe and Blakely and BHill not going off injured would have completely changed that clearance differential around and made a massive difference to the whole game. I think some on here are expecting miracles from our youngsters...

There is still plenty we can do to bolster the midfield before round 1 - adding the best player in the AFL should help for a start. He'll take a lot of attention away from others whilst still impacting, so everyone else gets a bit more space to work in. Midfield doesn't get smashed, defence isn't under the pump as much, forwards don't need to help out as much, whole team holds better structure, with the right people stay in the right places, the ball moves a lot faster and more efficiently, and the i50s are cleaner. West Coast are a good example of that, you don't have to be amazing in the midfield but you've got to have everyone run both ways and be disciplined, and the same on every line.

WC put an identical team on the field last week to this week, they are an experienced and well drilled side, they had an 8 day break, their injury list is less than a third the size of ours and they are full of confidence coming off a premiership year. They are as primed as a team can be at this time of the year. I was hoping we'd be a bit more competitive and show more examples of good ball movement etc but given the facts the result shouldn't have been unexpected.

I'm thinking the playing group and coaches are all on notice to do a lot better come round 1 but I don't think we need to burn down HQ over a JLT game. Plenty of time for either North or us to do that depending on who wins Round 1.

Top Bottom