Preview JLT 2: Fremantle vs West Coast. Sunday 4:10pm @ Rushton Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Y
I actually thought Sean acquitted himself pretty well considering it was his first hit out. He had 32 hit outs compared to Vardy and Hickey with 18 each. We still got smashed in the clearances, but I think that was more about a well rested premiership midfield versus a makeshift midfield coming of a short break.

Let's see how the connection is with the midfield in round 1, but at this stage Sean's one of our lesser issues I think.
Yeah me too. He took Masten down with a front on tackle mummy style early in the game then did a fierce tackle on someone on the far side wing and got the free. I cant say I noticed him much outside of that but its good to see him go in hard. Its good to see after years of watching Sandi stay away from the physical stuff and not be able to pick a ball up below his knees.

De Boer was delisted because he was no where near best 22 and was 26. You've got to be best 22 at 26 or your gone. He's useless outside his one decent role which relies on forwards around him that actually kick goals.

Contracts have meant some players have gone a year earlier or later than they should but bar perhaps Sam Collins and Menegola none would be in our top 30 heading into 2019.

and those two players only improved after being delisted and then pulled their finger out, so they might not have realised their potential if they had stayed on our list and just drifted along like they had

Would of rather of kept Sheridan over colyer that’s a down grade if anything. I’d bet he’ll play well at the giants with a different coach and a new system.
based on the limited vision of Colyer that I have seen I agree... it seems like most players who move on end up playing better footy for their new teams

If De Boer is in GWS’s best 22, he’s best 22 in our side. He’d be handy to have right now with the number of injuries we have.
It's not always that simple and I don't believe it is with De Boer.

I firmly believe he would've been delisted in 2017 if he wasn't in 2016. His role is useful in good teams but as soon as a team becomes average players like De Boer are the first to go - that's not a freo thing it's an AFL thing.

Well done to GWS for recognizing he would be useful in their side but De Boer was finished at Freo by the end of 2015 tbh.

If De Boer is in GWS’s best 22, he’s best 22 in our side. He’d be handy to have right now with the number of injuries we have.

De Boer was able to give GWS leadership. They had talent that beggars description, but not enough leadership - and you need leadership to tie all the talent together.

They could afford his "almost but not quite there" skills, given the abundance of skills around him. But if he had an A graders skills, he's in the leadership of most teams and possibly captain in a few.

De Boer was able to give GWS leadership. They had talent that beggars description, but not enough leadership - and you need leadership to tie all the talent together.

They could afford his "almost but not quite there" skills, given the abundance of skills around him. But if he had an A graders skills, he's in the leadership of most teams and possibly captain in a few.

Agree that he filled a need a couple of years ago but I can’t see what he offers them now that they haven’t already got. If they continue to play him in most games this year they’ll continue to go nowhere imo.

With both DeBoer (and Barlow) I think both were actually still B22 but simply weren't being played because (a) we felt that guys like Crozier and Sheridan need opportunity and (b) when 2016 went down the toilet we pumped games into guys like Langdon, Tucker, Weller, Blakely to fast track their development.

In 2016 (and even 2017 if they stayed on the list) I don't know how you wouldn't pick guys like DeBoer and Barlow ahead of any of the others I mentioned if you were truly picking a B22 side.

Look sometimes the nature of footy clubs is that you take a longer term view. I get that. I just think we took out some hardness that we needed, carried a couple of other guys merely because they had contracts, and punted on some younger players who didn't develop as we would have liked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barlow was dropped for a brief period only. He spent the second half of 2016 injured. We should’ve kept him.

De Boer had one foot out of our best 22 by the end of 2015. From memory absolutely no one on here wanted him in the side from the middle of 2015 onwards and it was only in the WAFL finals playing as a midfielder (a role he’s never played successfully at AFL level) that people decided he was a gun we should’ve played all year.

I’ve got no surprise that De Boer can play the same negative defensive forward role for GWS he payed for us up until the middle of 2015. GWS won’t win flags because they’ve got too many players like him in their best 22 like we did between 2013-2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back