Preview JLT 2 Geelong V Essendon Sun Mar 11 2018 1:05pm - Colac

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins was on their 2nd tall defender most of the game and Menzel was good but we know what we are getting from them.

Those 2 are more likely to get exposed on bigger grounds so I wouldn't get too excited by their JLT form although kicking straight is a positive.
exposed on bigger grounds? there form is usually better on bigger grounds where they have some space to move in.

Anyone at the VFL game?

Five men and a dog left here at the ground. Essendon too fast. A speedy little bloke for us TSTAR (or something like that) caught the eye,. Wylie & Abbott okay, otherwise not much. Standing beside the players box and can't get over the stressful level of agitation seeping from players trying to get on changeovers. Screaming their guts out for ages, trying to catch the attention of the player coming off, and only one runner to help them out in the end. Tough world VFL.

I said to a mate the other day that Ablett's hammy was convenient given he had hammy probs last year at the end. Then Danger's today. Not sure what to make of it but maybe a bit of ducks and drakes going on. Both of them are as fit as ... you know.

Nice conspiracy theory effort but Danger clearly pulled up short on his kick today. He’s done a minor hamstring for sure.

defensively
Call me old fashioned but having my two spearheads kicking goals far outwieghs this new fad of "pressure".
So don't give a flying * about defensively for those two. They are there to kick goals.

Not sure what to make of it. I’m not confident we will be any better than last year. I can’t really see any definitive changes in system or improvements in forward entries. I do think though that when we bring it in quickly we look much better - who would have thought....????!!!
I think this is it for me, although I only watched the first half and snatches of the GC game. Obviously there were stretches were players were in different positions, you had a midfield mainly made of younger players, and where the intensity just wasn't there, but overall we looked a very similar team with similar strengths and weaknesses to last year. Unless Ablett miraculously lifts the skill level of the entire team when they're under frontal pressure, or can consistently transition the ball from defence quickly, or motivates the front half to play with greater intensity, we're going to be roughly the same team. Which is still pretty good, but maybe not good enough.

The results don’t matter but you look for signs. A few things that I thought might be a problem:

- Defensive organisation in both games wasn’t great, especially moving the ball. Are we missing Mackie’s clean skills and link up? Henderson will make a big difference in terms of the organisation but I worry about ball movement.

Outside pace looked concerning. We won a lot of possession but struggled to move the ball. Kelly is a bit more inside than I had hoped, we don’t have that Gaff/S.Hill type player.

CHF looked a problem again. Esava has progressed but is still a ways off, Buzza looked average. Seems like a hole.

On the positive side:

- Blitz seems to be doing a better job marking in the forward line. Could be a new string to his bow.

- Kelly looks ready made and already one of the better users of the ball.

-Zuthrie to Cuthrie combo was regularly seen...I liked it, especially the goal. Zuthrie is an exceptional decision maker.

- Miers looks ready made to be a Milne type goal sneak.

- Constable looks Joel Corey esk. Finds plenty of the ball, works hard and in a year or two could be a hell of a player.

We should dominate inside this season, how we spread and deliver inside 50 will define our season though.

Just a few thoughts.
Road work, congestion, little parking, difficult viewing positions made the day a bigger one than I expected.

My best: Duncan (tried to do do a little too much at times ) but "lead" the team well- showed real urgency today. Selwood, Guth snr. and Blicavs.

Of the kids: none shone but Kelly can play, Constable knows the game and can accumulate and multiply possessions. Parsons played higher but was in and out. Jones didn't look out of place but needs to be cleaner - you only get 10 or 12 goes at it as a small. O'Connor was safe and looked comfortable but i don't as yet see an upside. Cunico ditto. Miers very raw but gets to contests - VFL will show more about his future in coming weeks. Zuthrie is solid and will play quite a few games (ahead of O'Connor for instance). Parfitt showed his class once or twice but not his best outing.

Savrat I watched closely. His best work was done once the ball hit the ground which surprised me. Last year it was mark or nothing. He is mobile and quick in bursts. In one on one contests in the air he had trouble with judgement of ball flight, and didn't look like getting his hands on it. He lacks confidence in his own ability and when he was clear, one on one, with his teammate streaming forward, he didn't demand the ball. He should, and even if he doesn't mark he looks a good chance to win the ball on the ground now. Back to VFL for a bit now but lots to work with.

Hawkins was on their 2nd tall defender most of the game and Menzel was good but we know what we are getting from them.

Those 2 are more likely to get exposed on bigger grounds so I wouldn't get too excited by their JLT form although kicking straight is a positive.

The Dons usually play Ambrose on the #1 KPF to free up Hurley to run off. The fact they were forced to change the match up and make Hurley accountable was a big win.

Just a few thoughts.
Road work, congestion, little parking, difficult viewing positions made the day a bigger one than I expected.

My best: Duncan (tried to do do a little too much at times ) but "lead" the team well- showed real urgency today. Selwood, Guth snr. and Blicavs.

Of the kids: none shone but Kelly can play, Constable knows the game and can accumulate and multiply possessions. Parsons played higher but was in and out. Jones didn't look out of place but needs to be cleaner - you only get 10 or 12 goes at it as a small. O'Connor was safe and looked comfortable but i don't as yet see an upside. Cunico ditto. Miers very raw but gets to contests - VFL will show more about his future in coming weeks. Zuthrie is solid and will play quite a few games (ahead of O'Connor for instance). Parfitt showed his class once or twice but not his best outing.

Savrat I watched closely. His best work was done once the ball hit the ground which surprised me. Last year it was mark or nothing. He is mobile and quick in bursts. In one on one contests in the air he had trouble with judgement of ball flight, and didn't look like getting his hands on it. He lacks confidence in his own ability and when he was clear, one on one, with his teammate streaming forward, he didn't demand the ball. He should, and even if he doesn't mark he looks a good chance to win the ball on the ground now. Back to VFL for a bit now but lots to work with.

Disagree re your comments on O’Connor, from what I saw today he has serious upside, might be a year or so away but the kid has great potential. Give him time to get a feel for the game.

some posters need to calm down and dampen their trigger responses. it was just a practise game.

Is that really you Seeds?

Anyone can do it.....Richmond are proof positive. Their small forwards worked hard going both ways last year, and reaped some pretty good rewards
In fact, if you look at all of the very very good sides, the common theme is their small forwards work hard to A: get to the ball offensively B: Apply pressure and work hard to keep the ball inside their forward 50 defensively

I dont think we do........but thats just my observation
Most of our team shirk the issue defensively.

Our system needs an entire overhaul. Handball is our first instinct and it often puts players under more pressure. We struggle against the wind as well, it's becoming an issue.

We're not direct enough and have too many players who aren't prepared to do the hard yards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree re your comments on O’Connor, from what I saw today he has serious upside, might be a year or so away but the kid has great potential. Give him time to get a feel for the game.

Yep. He looks like he could basically be Murdoch but with great foot skills and composure. He looks like the perfect wingman and he's locked in to my round 1 side right now. In terms of wingers and our side mids we've lost Motlop, Kolo is now playing back and Blics will play more ruck and perhaps more forward and back than wing. He's got miles more upside than Murdoch and is cleaner with his hands and a better kick than Thurlow (his kicks can look good at times but he shanks plenty). I've got him ahead of those 2 and we have to pick 1 or maybe even 2 of them.

O'Connor looked good from the small glimpses that I saw of the match, a big improvement from last year... My opinion has changed majorly on him, I had him in the bottom 5 on the list, now no longer...

Surprised with the positivity of O’Connor. I’m sure he was responsible for two basic skill errors (one a dropped mark and another a shanked kick) in the last that either resulted in goals or a failure of us to run the ball out of defence. It was on the opposite side of the ground to where I was standing but I’m pretty certain it was him.

Surprised with the positivity of O’Connor. I’m sure he was responsible for two basic skill errors (one a dropped mark and another a shanked kick) in the last that either resulted in goals or a failure of us to run the ball out of defence. It was on the opposite side of the ground to where I was standing but I’m pretty certain it was him.

Correct on both counts but I’m prepared to overlook these at this stage, his work in qtr2 was extremely encouraging IMO.

O'Connor looked good from the small glimpses that I saw of the match, a big improvement from last year... My opinion has changed majorly on him, I had him in the bottom 5 on the list, now no longer...
I agree. Last year he looked dramatically out of his depth and this year he looks much better around the contest.

I was pretty surprised at the ruck set up in the last qtr? Where Sav just grabbed the ball and run through the middle evading multiple players to kick it into the F50...for a big player he is very quick and mobile ...he really does have the attributes to make it just needs to work on his confidence and football knowledge imo it’ll come together

It was. To make matters worse, he had limited game time. Still,to be positive, can and will play.

I still thin Kelly can give us some outside run and class... I do see what most see, in that he's an inside mid, but I think he can play the outside role too, just needs a few games. Tbh, I think the recruitment got it right with Stewart, Menegola and Kelly; they add a bit of grunt and are the right age profile for the current team.

You mean like people suggesting Danger will be out for a certain number of weeks? ;)
He's certainly out next week, bank on it.

Last year (I think), Collingwood smashed us in a JLT game (the last preseason game before the season) and where did both our teams finish up at the end of the H&A season? This JLT stuff means nothing, see how the ladder looks after round 5 of the H&A season and then make up your mind as to how you think the Cats will go this year. One year Brisbane won the NAB Cup preseason GF, then finished bottom 4 in the H&A season. People who read too much into these games really show a lack of football knowledge, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back