Autopsy JLT 2 - Melbourne def Carlton by 54

Remove this Banner Ad

I've watched this replay 3 times now and it still shocks me with each viewing that Dale Thomas is still on an AFL list
He's gone downhill very quickly. I remember last year when he played a couple of decent games early the media jumped all over it and hailed the recruitment a success. Since he's had those injuries at the end at Collingwood he's fallen away big time.

It's forgotten how good he used to be, real shame he was a gun
His 2010 was brilliant, but that ankle injury just destroyed him. If he was at half decent club on half the money(still far more than what he's worth) then I'd suspect he'd have been pushed into retirement a few years back

His 2010 was brilliant, but that ankle injury just destroyed him. If he was at half decent club on half the money(still far more than what he's worth) then I'd suspect he'd have been pushed into retirement a few years back

It's painful watching him now, can't remember a midfielder so good at 23 who was so bad at 27
Brick McLean had a big fall from grace but he wasn't as good as Daisy

It's painful watching him now, can't remember a midfielder so good at 23 who was so bad at 27
Brick McLean had a big fall from grace but he wasn't as good as Daisy

I was watching us play the Tigers in 2005, the game where Brown broke his leg.

Crazy to see McLean actually have average pace rather than struggling to get out of a walk.

I know they are only Praccy matches but thank * that footy is back!!

A few thoughts:
- Glad we smashed Carlton - needed to be done. We've shown we're trying to make a statement and given we were coming off a good hit out against the Dogs and it was Carlton's first game in 5 months it needed to happen. We will lose in Rd 2.

- Hogan and Tracca looking sharp. Braysh and Salem are going to be like new recruits if they can stay fit. (Salem played 8 games last year, none between rounds 8-22, Gus played 10 games, including the last 7 so he has finally started to have a decent run at it). Really strengthens our depth as they are good bloody footballers!

- The Muss/Gawn combo will only work if we are playing a side with s**t rucks. Can't think of any whose rucks are that s**t though so we probably should have kept him delisted.

- Loved J Smith in JLT 1 and was raving about him (how good is his tackling!!) and was expecting him to solidify himself as a cheeky 1's player this season. He was s**t against Carlton. All he did was turn the ball over and jump really high once with no outcome. I still think he will be a gem for us but he is probably a season away from putting himself in the 1's. Having said that he's only played 2 praccy games I guess.

- Love the inclusion of Lewis. With he, Hibberd and Melskahm added then Jones and Vince plus the development of everyone else we look like a much more mature side than last year. Physically and mentally. Let's see how things play out in the season proper but my expectations on this season have increased.

Crazy to see McLean actually have average pace rather than struggling to get out of a walk.

True he went from AA and outside Brownlow chance to an average footballer but I still think Daisy has fallen even further
He shouldn't even be in the AFL anymore. His kicking lacks any penetration his marking is gone and he doesn't get the footy

To Brock and Thomas' defence they both had massive ankle injuries. Us and Collingwood did well dishing them off to Carlton......it's even more of a shame we didn't capitalise on the draft pick we got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To Brock and Thomas' defence they both had massive ankle injuries. Us and Collingwood did well dishing them off to Carlton......it's even more of a shame we didn't capitalise on the draft pick we got.
Remember Gysbert's two games in tho? Trade looked amazing.

I have a great Brock anecdote from a Foxtel Cup game when he was rotting in the twos after he'd dropped us in the s**t over the tanking ... satisfaction levels were high.

Retrospect is a great thing. All this gysbert talk got me watching 2011 highlights gee I overrated that side. I watched the vs Brisbane highlights and vs Sydney highlights. Watching the Sydney highlights I remember thinking we'd belt them only to be getting done all day and mustering up a draw. But looking at the side Sydney were far superior obviously won the premiership the next year where we were shambles. I also remember listening to Harford on sen1116 pre season, he didn't have us in his top 8. He didn't think we were quite there. I remember thinking come on we'll prove him wrong.

Was at that game. You could hear the crack from the stands.

Beamer was a prick the couple of times I met him.
I find this funny, Beamer is my best mates (from schools) Cousin.
I've never met the guy buy i found it Funny that Beamer was traded from Geelong ( Also coincidently the best mates Footy team) and into our team

A shame I never really used him to reach Brent for passes into the rooms.

Was at that game. You could hear the crack from the stands.
Yep. Was sitting so close to the incident as well. It's one of the few times I've sat on the second tier at Etihad and that view for me now is just synonymous with seeing Brown go down.

I was absolutely giving it to a few Carlton supporting mates. On those few weeks alone, the trade was worth it.

I was absolutely giving it to a few Carlton supporting mates. On those few weeks alone, the trade was worth it.
I reckon one of the matches must have been against Carlton because I remember getting into one of those weird arguments at the G with a Carlton woman who was sitting a bay away from me where you both yell stuff occasionally that could be directed at anyone but everyone knows is you having a go at each other. Carlton flogged us but she made the mistake of bringing up the Brock trade who was out injured I think (or maybe even dropped?) so I made a ridiculous show of cheering every time Gysberts touched the footy and he ended up having a day out. That combined with another Dees supporter nearby me who noticed she ate two pies at half time and spent the whole second half reminding her about it any time she said anything made it one of the better losses I've been to.

In hindsight though I wish I'd been the one with the pie jokes. They stood the test of time unlike hyping up Gysberts.

I find this funny, Beamer is my best mates (from schools) Cousin.
I've never met the guy buy i found it Funny that Beamer was traded from Geelong ( Also coincidently the best mates Footy team) and into our team

A shame I never really used him to reach Brent for passes into the rooms.
You wanted to make a pass at Beamer in the rooms?

I reckon one of the matches must have been against Carlton because I remember getting into one of those weird arguments at the G with a Carlton woman who was sitting a bay away from me where you both yell stuff occasionally that could be directed at anyone but everyone knows is you having a go at each other. Carlton flogged us but she made the mistake of bringing up the Brock trade who was out injured I think (or maybe even dropped?) so I made a ridiculous show of cheering every time Gysberts touched the footy and he ended up having a day out. That combined with another Dees supporter nearby me who noticed she ate two pies at half time and spent the whole second half reminding her about it any time she said anything made it one of the better losses I've been to.

In hindsight though I wish I'd been the one with the pie jokes. They stood the test of time unlike hyping up Gysberts.
Carlton and Geelong. The kid looked an absolute star in the making :(

Carlton and Geelong. The kid looked an absolute star in the making :(
Laziness ruined him

He's actually related to my missus. Plays out my way now from what I recall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back