Game Day JLT 2 Saints v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

St Pauls

All Australian
Jul 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
We have a nine day break until round 2 of the JLT. The coaches have flagged a younger team to play Carlton, Kingsley mentioned Acres, Webster, Sincs and Long to get a chance. A few of the older guys will probably get a rest as a result.

I'm picking:

Roberton Brown Geary
DMac Carlisle Webster
Newnes Ross Long
Gresh Membrey Billings
Sincs McCartin Battle
Longer Dunston Acres

Stevens Steele Hickey White Freeman Rice

Hard to pick because it will depend who gets a rest. Coughlan might get a run as we might rest Dempster.

Roberton Brown Geary
DMac Carlisle Webster
Newnes Ross Long
Membrey Marshall Billings
Sincs McCartin Gresh
Holmes Dunston Acres

Stevens Steele Hickey White Rice Minch Coughlan and Freeman for about 1/8th of 1/4 max - just so we can say he's played.

I would think up to 10 changes for this game. Results doesn't even slightly matter. Ball movement , skills and what certain players are working on really matters.

No idea what we will see, but I know what I'd like to see;

FB: Webster - Brown - Coughlan
HB: White - Carlisle - Connellan
RK: Longer - Gresham - Steele
CR: Billings - Dunstan - McKenzie
HF: Long - Marshall - Sinclair
FF: Lonie - McCartin - Battle
IC: Holmes Rice Newnes Stevens Freeman Weller

Recruits, depth types and kids; no sense risking the seniors and stars on the Paperbaggers.

Last edited:
No idea what we will see, but I know what I'd like to see;

FB: Webster - Brown - Coughlan
HB: White - Carlisle - McKenzie
RK: Longer - Gresham - Steele
CR: Billings - Dunstan - Newnes
HF: Long - Marshall - Sinclair
FF: Lonie - McCartin - Battle
IC: Holmes Ross Newnes Stevens Freeman Weller

Recruits, depth types and kids; no sense risking the seniors and stars on the Paperbaggers.
Gresh OUT, Long IN! ;)

Gresh OUT, Long IN! ;)
*cough* look at the HFF *******... *cough*

:D

Although I did have Newnes in twice... thanks for the inadvertent heads up...

*cough* look at the HFF *******... *cough*

:D

Although I did have Newnes in twice... thanks for the inadvertent heads up...
Good man. Longy looks good there

8 on the bench for the first two rounds of the JLT - go wild with the rookies - give them a sense of the intensity required.

B: Acres - Acres - Acres
HB: Acres - Acres - Acres
C: Acres - Acres - Acres
HF: Long - Acres - Acres
F: Acres - Acres - Acres
R: Acres - Gresham - Acres
I: Acres - Acres - Acres - Acres
Double EFA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me it'll be one eye on Acres and the other on Sinclair. Sinclair in particular I reckon there's a spot in the forward line up for grabs and I'd love to see him take it.

big game for acres. going to make or break his round 1 chances IMO

Ive got to admit I am a bit peeved at the couches about this! Something that is very rare for me!

Disclaimer: Im not in the inner circle, so I don't know what is going on, and I understand that somebody had to miss out last week.

This "Acres is out because of his disposal" thing is just a load of Horse&^%$!

If that was the case, Wright and Gilbert would be missing from our team every week, and Geary would only have started getting a game last year.

I think this is the "we have two new shiney big bodied mids now and you have competition" line, but while I like Koby and think the world of Steele, nothing they have done makes me think they have the upside of Acres. Koby Stevens is not going to win us a premiership, Acres just may! And neither of them has made themselves must picks, were as Acres did last season.

They set such high standards for this lad, but yet are will let others skate into the team on reputation.

Ill be pissed if Wright, Stevens or Gilbert gets a gig and Acres doesnt (I'm not saying there competing for the same position here), because there not applying the same standards!

This is why the media asked about Acres specifically in the post game interview, its a bit of a shock that the club is taking this line considering who is in our side and how he went at the end of last year!

I thought that's a big reason why they recruited Stevens to add some depth and push acres et al to a higher level with some competition.

They are just sending him a message IMHO.

I dont disagree, competition is good, but why is just Acres under the pump?

If better disposal was in the couches minds, why was Gilbert playing over Webster or Wright playing over Sincs. Both have far better disposal, get as much of the ball and have the hardheadedness required. I just thought it was a week excuse considering others in the side.

All I can come up with is that the coaches believe Acres has a fairly high ceiling but isn't currently doing the things sufficiently that they feel will get him as close to that ceiling as possible. If that makes sense.

So they are trying to send him a message early in the year.

Last edited:
All I can come up with is that the coaches believe Acres has a fairly high ceiling but isn't currently doing the things sufficiently that they feel with get him as close to that ceiling as possible. If that makes sense.

So they are trying to send him a message early in the year.

I hope your right mate... I suppose that this sort of tactic has worked with him so far.

I'm picking Carlton to also wear teal to confuse us that Port showed up again, then emulate Geelongs jumper with a primary white base with the picture of a unicorn holding a c on it and stabbing it with their horn for the logo.

Meanwhile we'll rotate the team a bit, manage loads and refine gameplans and overreactions will occur.

The best thing is this is not on a Thursday, must be because of Carlton though, still a s**t place to drive through.

Sorry to any vertically challenged peeps on here but i find it a little hard to take Brendan Bolton seriously. He seems too tiny to be an AFL coach.
downloadfile.jpg images-10.jpg
All he needs is a school bag and a cap with a propeller on it to complete the picture.

But maybe ive just been put off small coaches since Mr Juggernaut.

Sorry to any vertically challenged peeps on here but i find it a little hard to take Brendan Bolton seriously. He seems too tiny to be an AFL coach.
View attachment 339906 View attachment 339908
All he needs is a school bag and a cap with a propeller on it to complete the picture.

But maybe ive just been put off small coaches since Mr Juggernaut.
To be fair the two best coaches of this era are both on the shorter side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back