Game Day JLT 2 Saints v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess I'm just not in the mood to be taking any crap and if I see someone writing it, especially if they're saying it directly to me, then I'm probably going to call them out on it.

This also wasn't a "football opinion" that I was arguing against, it was someone being misrepresented. In this case, Brereton.

I've seen it 3 different times since the game now where what he said on various topics during the game has either been twisted, misrepresented, or straight out lied about and I know it's the in thing to do on here to get stuck into him, but I reckon if anyone wants to be taking shots at him, or anyone else, they at least ought to do it about things they've actually said.

This place has an unhealthy obsession with the guy!
Yep it's a little like the journalists and Trump. He and his administration do say some awful things, but often even the mundane things they say get misrepresented by the media. Far from serving the media's cause it damages it, because people start questioning their credibility with the actual tripe Trump DOES day!

Lonie probably isn't helped by the fact we don't really set him up well when we go forward. The ball is constantly on his head.

Really looking forward to a very youthful side this week. Big chance for Paddy to be the man this weekend
his biggest problem is his t rex arms.

Will be a much different team this week, a few boys are resting and hopefully all of Acres, Webster and Sinclair in. I'd love a look at Rice and White amongst others too.
If you're not in the last JLT team vs Swans then you're not playing Round 1 it seems.
Just realised we're playing Sydney THREE TIMES this year.

Agreed he cant compete in the air when required and is too small and not quick enough to impact his opponents defensively. He is behind a number of players on the selection table, but may have some trade value at years end.
That wasn't the point I was making. Players like Schneider and Milne made a career because they used their tools effectively. We and this is only my opinion do not use our players forward of the ball effectively.

For example:

I can understand using Paddy as a big pack breaker ala Johnathon Brown. However I feel we should use him more like Kennedy at West coast. Hit him up on short leads as well as the big pack mark type kicks.

Lonie, we need to take away this kick that sits on him and either hit him up or get him to play half forward and run back onto the kick landing on the forward. Allows him to crumb and snap or wheel on the left and hit a target with his great disposal.

Billings we should allow for him to run and leap at balls more often. Great set of hands etc

Small tweaks would make us a much more efficient effective and dangerous side.

We should wear our old yellow jumpers as a homage to the last time we played Carlton at their old stomping ground and we spanked em.
Hurt em on the scoreboard and hurt their eyes at the same time.
ABD0A2C4-9BA2-47A9-BFD3-D9C9D4E7AF1A.jpg

That wasn't the point I was making. Players like Schneider and Milne made a career because they used their tools effectively. We and this is only my opinion do not use our players forward of the ball effectively.

For example:

I can understand using Paddy as a big pack breaker ala Johnathon Brown. However I feel we should use him more like Kennedy at West coast. Hit him up on short leads as well as the big pack mark type kicks.

Lonie, we need to take away this kick that sits on him and either hit him up or get him to play half forward and run back onto the kick landing on the forward. Allows him to crumb and snap or wheel on the left and hit a target with his great disposal.

Billings we should allow for him to run and leap at balls more often. Great set of hands etc

Small tweaks would make us a much more efficient effective and dangerous side.
I see where you are coming from and I agree but having said that I don't think lonie has the tools to make it

Milne was a very good mark for his size and he could at a minimum hold his ground 1 on 1 if need be to lock the ball in. Likewise for players like walters Cyril poppy Thomas etc.

Lonie just can't do that and I don't think he ever will be able to due to his size

I see where you are coming from and I agree but having said that I don't think lonie has the tools to make it

Milne was a very good mark for his size and he could at a minimum hold his ground 1 on 1 if need be to lock the ball in. Likewise for players like walters Cyril poppy Thomas etc.

Lonie just can't do that and I don't think he ever will be able to due to his size
Completely get where you are coming from. However in his first year he was killing it and Caleb Daniel's has done it and won himself a flag.
Lonie and the team need to be smarter or it won't work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel's a better player than Lonie. Daniel is a midfielder. Can't see Lonie spending too much time in the midfield.

We still lack a goalkicking crumbing forward. If Lonie can develop into a 30-40 goal per season player then that would be great, but he isn't there yet.

Milne was older than Lonie is now when he got his first game, and he was by no means "bulked up". Milne 2cm taller.
He'd already been looked at and rejected by other clubs, and had plenty of "Noble Park" experience.

Milne vs Lonie

Season 1 27 goals from 17 games. vs 12 goals from 17 games. 14 tackles vs 50 tackles. 9 clearances vs 18 clearances.
Season 2 50 goals from 21 games. vs 10 goals from 10 games. 28 tackles vs 22. 17 clearances vs 8

Milne did have more freakish talent , but he was also older when we got a look at him.

At the draft we reached for Long, who plays in Lonie's very position - Trout did that upon Richo's request to find him a better option for that role. I think that says something about how confident the coaches are of Lonie making it long term.

High press defence and run and gun game should suit the way lonie plays.
He's just not good enough at the moment.
Thats not to say he cant get better but i fail to see the problem. We have replacements for part time small forwards. And some coming through.
Lonie's not a problem.
Our coaching department need to figure out how to implement a very taxing handball high ground pressure game without destroying the players in a half of football.

Completely get where you are coming from. However in his first year he was killing it and Caleb Daniel's has done it and won himself a flag.
Lonie and the team need to be smarter or it won't work

i agree the ball use inside 50 and the decision making is an on going concern and is more important than lonie making it as the issue will be there if lonie is or isnt in the side. i think because of lonies flaws it becomes more obvious as to what the problem is

having said i think the difference between caleb daniel and lonie is that caleb daniel was a genuine midfield prospect. he was very good as an inside mid in his championships and was drafted as one. since going to the dogs he doesnt face the issues lonie does as he's used as a link up/outside midfielder, where as lonie is a small fwd. caleb daniel although small also has some size about him, he's basically a small brick shithouse, where as lonie doesnt have that size or the natural midfield ability of caleb

i hope i am wrong but my opinion last year changed on lonie and i started to question if he will make it

Lonie was half a step a few times away from having a decent jlt1. If we forgive Hickey, Bruce and co for a rusty start give Lonie a break too. Comparing him to Milne is like comparing Okeefe to Warnie. Oops! Loved the T Rex comment though, will be hard to shake from my mind when watching next. Speaking of arms, geez did Gresh manage to hold on to players tight in that last game!

Lonie needs Diesel William's legs. Absolute f...... tree trunks and man could he drag an opponent down.

Kosi was saying on radio today that that was Milnes strength- his low centre of gravity. Reckons he would struggle to make a single chin up but could do leg weights like G Train could do them with his arms. Was talking Petracca with his core strength and low centre of gravity. Poor old Christian had better become Chris Judd mixed with Rischutto now, the hopes of 40000 Dees fans are counting on him.

Daniel was basically far and away the best young mid at the champs, but didn't get selected due to height.

Kind of makes you wonder why we picked Lonie ahead of him, but ah well you can't win em all.

Battle is kind of looking like our Daniel right now but its very early days.

Agreed he cant compete in the air when required and is too small and not quick enough to impact his opponents defensively. He is behind a number of players on the selection table, but may have some trade value at years end.

If he struggles this year he has as much trade value as Curren, Ledger and so on. I like Lonie. I think he can become a GOP which you need in every GF side.

At the draft we reached for Long, who plays in Lonie's very position - Trout did that upon Richo's request to find him a better option for that role. I think that says something about how confident the coaches are of Lonie making it long term.

Long plays mainly as a Half back and that is where I expect him to play in the VFL with stints up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back