Unofficial Preview JLT 2 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

It's basically the setup we rolled with against GWS in R4 last year when everyone lost their minds about how we needed to play another tall

If you wanted to argue for the merits of a two-KPD defensive structure, you could not possibly have picked a worse example if you tried.

Not this again.

PORT ADELAIDE

B: R.Bonner 26, T.Jonas 42, D.Houston 43
HB: D.Byrne-Jones 33, T.Clurey 17, H.Hartlett 8
C: D.Barry 41, O.Wines 16, J.Polec 21
HF: T.Boak 1, J.Watts 23, C.Wingard 20
F: J.Westhoff 39, C.Dixon 22, S.Motlop 6
Foll: P.Ryder 4, B.Ebert 7, R.Gray 9
I/C: K.Amon 15, T.McKenzie 12, D.Howard 32, J.Atley 30, T.Marshall 13, J.Pittard 29, S.Gray 46, A.Johnson 31

Emerg: J.Hombsch 36, J.Trengove 19, J.Neade 3, L.Thomas 48

In: J.Polec, C.Wingard, T.Marshall, T.McKenzie, S.Gray, A.Johnson
Out: S.Powell-Pepper (injured), P.Ladhams (omitted), J.Trengove, J.Hombsch, L.Thomas, J.Neade

Notable absentees: T.Rockliff, M.Broadbent

ADELAIDE

B: T.Doedee 39, D.Talia 12, R.Laird 29
HB: L.Brown 16, A.Keath 42, B.Gibbs 6
C: D.Mackay 14, M.Crouch 5, R.Atkins 21
HF: R.Douglas 26, M.McGovern 41, H.Greenwood 1
F: E.Betts 18, J.Jenkins 4, D.Fogarty 32
Foll: S.Jacobs 24, R.Sloane 9, C.Hampton 17
I/C: J.Kelly 8, P.Seedsman 11, K.Hartigan 15, S.Gibson 20, T.Lynch 27, C.Ellis-Yolmen 28, H.Dear 38, L.Murphy 44, A.Otten 22, K.Cheney 25, M.Signorello 35, P.Hunter 37

In: R.Douglas, H.Greenwood, E.Betts, R.Sloane, K.Hartigan, D.Talia
Out: A.Otten, R.O’Brien, M.Poholke, M.Signorello, K.Cheney, P.Hunter

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-08/jlt-squads-cats-superstar-misses-the-cut
SPP Injured? And Ladhams omitted but no indication if any of the other outs are injured, rested or omitted?

We really haven't gone with a 2 key back structure without being forced to that I can remember. Austin was barely back from injury last year and was struggling and wasn't picked for that reason, whilst Dougal was still working his way back from the knee. And other times it was through necessity as all our other key backs were injured.

A structure of Howard for the tallest forwards, Clurey for the 2nd/3rd key and Jonas the lockdown small/tall role, just makes sense.

Apart from that we'd be seriously stupid not to take advantage of Howard's height, speed and amazing spoiling ability. He also needs to play the whole year so that he is as confident and experienced ahead of a finals campagin as possible.

Hence for me I think Howard is already considered internally a lock. The only reason I could see Howard not being selected, would be if Hombsch is still a chance and we are actually resting him this week from some sort of niggle, which is possible given the limited footy he has played recently.

Last edited:
Based on the Magpies lineup, it appears Trengove, Hombsch, Broadbent, Rockliff, Drew, SPP, Thomas and Hewett are sitting this weekend out.

So Neade was dropped. That is a relief.

So Neade was dropped. That is a relief.
I'm a Neade fan, I haven't just written him off like a lot of others, but by geez last week he was so poor and so rusty they had zero choice but to drop him. When you also add in the fact AJ must've recovered from his mystery injury and Hinkley absolutely loves him then it was a lock.

Port Adelaide skipper Travis Boak unlikely to play tomorrow, has minor hamstring soreness. Not training this morning @AFLcomau

Edit: J. Neade comes back into the squad

Lol

Port Adelaide skipper Travis Boak unlikely to play tomorrow, has minor hamstring soreness. Not training this morning @AFLcomau

Edit: J. Neade comes back into the squad

latest

Woohoo!! Jake Neade in to replace Travis!

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-03-09/boak-out-of-jlt-clash

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Power star to miss pre-season Showdown
Lee Gaskin
Mar 9, 2018 10:49AM

571376-tlslargelandscape.jpg

PORT Adelaide captain Travis Boak will miss Saturday's JLT Community Series clash with Adelaide.

Boak reported minor hamstring soreness and didn't train with the team at Alberton Oval on Friday morning.

Vice-captain Ollie Wines will lead the Power in Boak's absence.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-09/power-star-to-miss-preseason

Yeah, well, I actually watch our defensive setup, and it looks like this:

4BD691AB-9FD8-4EEB-8621-FDB104A6040C.png

I count five players in defensive 50 - two key backs and three general defenders, with our sixth defender pushing up to provide support to the midfield.

The players were Howard, Clurey, Byrne-Jones, Pittard (who is pushing up), Hartlett and Houston. No Jonas.

If most aren’t rolling with third tall forwards anymore because they want the extra small for defensive pressure...why would we bother with a third tall defender?

It makes zero sense. Too wedded to archaic defensive structures, that’s the problem :)

View attachment 467684

I count five players in defensive 50 - two key backs and three general defenders, with our sixth defender pushing up to provide support to the midfield.

The players were Howard, Clurey, Byrne-Jones, Pittard (who is pushing up), Hartlett and Houston. No Jonas.

If most aren’t rolling with third tall forwards anymore because they want the extra small for defensive pressure...why would we bother with a third tall defender?

Because Jonas can play on medium forwards and/or a loose third man up role if he needs to, but none of our half backs can play tall?

So a screenshot of a moment in a JLT game, where players are barely playing 60% game time, is the definitive justification of the fact we're moving to a 2 key back structure that we've never used, outside of neccessity, before. Not a elimination final where we held a team to 5 goals over 3 and a half quarters?

And where does this no tall forward crap come from. The Crows basically run 4, we expect to run a minimum of 3.

Having 2 tall backs and 1 versatile back is a perfect setu

View attachment 467684

It makes zero sense. Too wedded to archaic defensive structures, that’s the problem :)
I count 4 tall forwards that Adelaide are playing

Jenkins, Lynch, McGovern, Dear (presuming they'll go dear you forward and Otten down back as they did in JLT 1)
let's say between the 4 of them they're burning one spot on the bench

I can only see two talls in the pictured WCE structure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back