Preview JLT 2: vs Lions @ Casey Fields Saturday 9th March 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn't he now been reprimanded 10 times? And knocked out the SME with a dog hit? Hardly unreasonable.
Brad Miller was charged 10 times. Is he a dog? The Martin hit was pretty poor but it hardly defines his character. It's good having players play on the edge. s**t you must think Bernie Vince is a s**t bloke too

Regardless of how many times May has been rubbed out, from my memory, the majority of them have been "football incidents" ... big bumps that have been late and/or high, they've been reckless, not malicious. I don't recall him ever pulling a Gaff or a Bugg and punching a bloke in the face ... or even a Rance when he elbowed Watts in the back of the head ... but he's the "dirty player"

Jeez lions fans casting some fair assertions on May's character due to some white line fever and on field incidents.

Big from a club whose captain cheats on his partner and breaks up his young family.

I know who I'd rather at my club

huh? how is having an opinion on May denied because a totally different player is on our list? Especially when that player was widely criticised on our board for that.

FWIW i think calls like dog act and the like are a bit wide of the mark, however May does have an extensive history of stepping over the line during games, especially against the lions. His first instinct is to always bump even when there are alternatives. It doesn't make him a bad guy but he does have a preference to play the person and not the ball in a lot of instances and with that comes consequences when he gets it wrong.

oh and while we're on the topic of casting assertions on character where its not warranted, the criticism of Berry is massively wide of the mark. Sure he's only a third year player but he'd be one of the toughest guys going around, is as hard at it and fair as anyone in the comp. Intimating that he went down unwarranted or as a result of him being small or timid is so far wide of the mark its not even funny.

Last edited:
I don’t think May is a dog, anything but. Bernie, Buggy and Lewy are (were) way more thug’ish!!

The hit on SME was not good, albeit I reckon Ablett pushed him into May. Not taking anything away from the fact May massively transgressed!!

I noticed the Melbourne fans' day.
It was held out in the open, I guess.
Melbourne deserves its own dedicated oval and training ground, in the city area.
AFL is a multi-billion dollar industry and should provide seed funding.

Melbourne deserves its own dedicated oval and training ground, in the city area.

Club is working on it. Challenging though when there are very few spaces that could accommodate a new football training facility and oval. Making significant changes to any of the parks around the city is incredibly difficult.

We deserve more, but organisations holding events in open spaces should be celebrated IMO. Nothing wrong with it, play on

I was not just referring to fans' day, but a dedicated oval and training facility in the city.
I know space is a premium, but AFL is a multi-billion industry, Melbourne deserves better.
Carlton receives $30 million, Collingwood demands $100 million for a new stadium.

Last edited:
huh? how is having an opinion on May denied because a totally different player is on our list? Especially when that player was widely criticised on our board for that.

FWIW i think calls like dog act and the like are a bit wide of the mark, however May does have an extensive history of stepping over the line during games, especially against the lions. His first instinct is to always bump even when there are alternatives. It doesn't make him a bad guy but he does have a preference to play the person and not the ball in a lot of instances and with that comes consequences when he gets it wrong.

oh and while we're on the topic of casting assertions on character where its not warranted, the criticism of Berry is massively wide of the mark. Sure he's only a third year player but he'd be one of the toughest guys going around, is as hard at it and fair as anyone in the comp. Intimating that he went down unwarranted or as a result of him being small or timid is so far wide of the mark its not even funny.

I don't think berry is soft, but he should know better than to not protect himself especially considering it was may.

I think there's a worrying trend in the game of players not protecting themselves anymore because they expect the rules to do it.

It's not like Berry was jogging to the bench an got Concad from behind. All he needs to do is turn his shoulder an nothing happens.

I don't think berry is soft, but he should know better than to not protect himself especially considering it was may.

I think there's a worrying trend in the game of players not protecting themselves anymore because they expect the rules to do it.

It's not like Berry was jogging to the bench an got Concad from behind. All he needs to do is turn his shoulder an nothing happens.
Got rid of the ball a fair way before he got bumped. He didn't assume that he would get bumped as the ball wasn't in his vicinity and he shouldn't have. Lot of victim blaming going on here... In any case, lets just hope that the next time we play each other, hope for no injuries/reports. Apart from that incident, looked like a good game and was a great test for the real games coming up. Win or loss it didn't matter

Got rid of the ball a fair way before he got bumped. He didn't assume that he would get bumped as the ball wasn't in his vicinity and he shouldn't have. Lot of victim blaming going on here... In any case, lets just hope that the next time we play each other, hope for no injuries/reports. Apart from that incident, looked like a good game and was a great test for the real games coming up. Win or loss it didn't matter

Victim blaming lmao.
What's with all these puss bags watching footy?
Get off the dees board, I hope he smashes another 5 blokes an you guys keep having a whinge about it.

If I was coaching Berry id tell him to keep his head up an remember he's on an AFL field at the highest level, not some pissant children's league where no one's allowed to get hurt.

You should always be expecting contact I don't care who you play for.

Victim blaming lmao.
What's with all these puss bags watching footy?
Get off the dees board, I hope he smashes another 5 blokes an you guys keep having a whinge about it.

If I was coaching Berry id tell him to keep his head up an remember he's on an AFL field at the highest level, not some pissant children's league where no one's allowed to get hurt.

You should always be expecting contact I don't care who you play for.

So you hope that May gets suspended so often that he rarely plays a game? That’s good by me. Logic/10.

Love how you were concerned about players not protecting themselves, then read the term “victim blaming”, then go argo and tell someone to get off the board when they contest your points. Great turn around there.

You should always be expecting contact? No, this isn’t the 70s/80s/90s mate, pepople don’t expect contact because there are rules in place that stop contact at certain points so that potentially career ending injuries don’t occur. According to your statement, players should expect bloody contact during the warm up.

The rules are very clear now, the player needs to have the ball to make the bump that May did and even then it was still high contact as it hit the chin.

The fact that you’ve said you hope that May smashes 5 more players is proof of how far Melbourne supporters have fallen into a toxic pit if you and others are anything to go by.

Now I’m going to go on my own accord, mainly because I don’t want to inflate your ego by leaving after you say the same to me.

To the Melbourne supporters who haven’t been toxic during this debacle, I wish you the best with your season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the ball was in the immediate area, May had every right to bump, because it happened in direct play. he was 2 to 3 metres away from May when he handballed, saying the ball wasn't in his vicinity is complete rubbish.
what else is May to do, step out of his way, let him have the give n get so he can run into goal? Berry showed poor awareness, that's a fact. he should definitely be expecting contact in that situation.

So you hope that May gets suspended so often that he rarely plays a game? That’s good by me. Logic/10.

Love how you were concerned about players not protecting themselves, then read the term “victim blaming”, then go argo and tell someone to get off the board when they contest your points. Great turn around there.

You should always be expecting contact? No, this isn’t the 70s/80s/90s mate, pepople don’t expect contact because there are rules in place that stop contact at certain points so that potentially career ending injuries don’t occur. According to your statement, players should expect bloody contact during the warm up.

The rules are very clear now, the player needs to have the ball to make the bump that May did and even then it was still high contact as it hit the chin.

The fact that you’ve said you hope that May smashes 5 more players is proof of how far Melbourne supporters have fallen into a toxic pit if you and others are anything to go by.

Now I’m going to go on my own accord, mainly because I don’t want to inflate your ego by leaving after you say the same to me.

To the Melbourne supporters who haven’t been toxic during this debacle, I wish you the best with your season.

Didn't read this because no doubt it was a bunch of whining an nonsense about all Melbourne supporters.

On ya bike

Petition for the Dees to change their theme song to this!!!

More like toxic masculinity. Agree with the last sentence

More like toxic masculinity. Agree with the last sentence
Thanks for your input guys, but you can move along now.

According to your statement, players should expect bloody contact during the warm up.

When I played footy < 10 years ago (i.e. not the 70s 80s or 90s) if you weren't paying attention in the warm up you would get put on your ass by a more senior player.

ALWAYS expect contact. * people are a bunch of soft utensils now days.

Last edited:
Obviously just a JLT game and all, so I’m not fussed by the result. The bit I found concerning was that I was frustrated watching because we were pretty much playing like arseholes. I trust that during the 14 day break between that and round 1 we have moved to our non-a-hole setting.

Now this is really confusing. Berry was pretty much at a medium jog at the point he handballed and took 4 steps at what was no more than a mild jog and in that time while he was still looking at the where he handballed to to make sure he didn't have to follow up again, he should have thought that hey the guy in front of me won't turn and chase the player its gone to, he'll probably bump me in the head because that person who i'm not looking at is steven may and he's got a history of playing the man and not the ball? I mean is he really expected to think that way? That he needs to protect himself against an action that has been banned from the game and severely cracked down upon (bumping someone high) for the best part of 4-5 years?

As for the second bit, berry's focus was on looking where the ball had gone and ensuring that it went to the player and he didn't have to go follow up with another effort to assist. His focus was on the ball, which is where most players focus is most of the time. May however tends to shift focus to the man more often, hence why he finds himself suspended so often. If he was more concerned about where the ball was and how he could have helped out in defence, rather than putting a player who isn't part of the play again on the ground then he wouldn't be in this situation time and time again.

None of that makes him a grub or a dog, the use of those words get thrown around far too liberally these days and are up there with the word Elite for the most inappropriately overused terms in our game. But he does have a preference to play the man rather than the ball, and in pretty much his whole time in football it has been pretty clear that if you decide to do that, the consequences are all on you.

Certainly hope I never get anywhere near him on the road, his lack of spatial awareness is a major worry.

Now this is really confusing. Berry was pretty much at a medium jog at the point he handballed and took 4 steps at what was no more than a mild jog and in that time while he was still looking at the where he handballed to to make sure he didn't have to follow up again, he should have thought that hey the guy in front of me won't turn and chase the player its gone to, he'll probably bump me in the head because that person who i'm not looking at is steven may and he's got a history of playing the man and not the ball? I mean is he really expected to think that way? That he needs to protect himself against an action that has been banned from the game and severely cracked down upon (bumping someone high) for the best part of 4-5 years?

As for the second bit, berry's focus was on looking where the ball had gone and ensuring that it went to the player and he didn't have to go follow up with another effort to assist. His focus was on the ball, which is where most players focus is most of the time. May however tends to shift focus to the man more often, hence why he finds himself suspended so often. If he was more concerned about where the ball was and how he could have helped out in defence, rather than putting a player who isn't part of the play again on the ground then he wouldn't be in this situation time and time again.

None of that makes him a grub or a dog, the use of those words get thrown around far too liberally these days and are up there with the word Elite for the most inappropriately overused terms in our game. But he does have a preference to play the man rather than the ball, and in pretty much his whole time in football it has been pretty clear that if you decide to do that, the consequences are all on you.

Look mate this has been done to death a million times on here but seeing as your response was somewhat reasonable even though I disagree with it I'll bite.

If I was coaching May I Wouldnt tell him to stop using his body
If I was coaching Berry id tell him it's a good lesson in having awareness an that you can't switch off. Shepherding is still a legal part of footy an if he hadn't knicked his jaw it would have been completely legal. Berry needs to be more aware

Obviously just a JLT game and all, so I’m not fussed by the result. The bit I found concerning was that I was frustrated watching because we were pretty much playing like arseholes. I trust that during the 14 day break between that and round 1 we have moved to our non-a-hole setting.

The only thing that concerns me is that alot of people seem to think we can ignore pre season results completely and just switch it on for Round 1. However let's not forget we have only had 1 good season in 13 years.. not sure we can be so bla...say

How the * do you spell that word

Remove this Banner Ad

Back