Preview JLT 2: vs Lions @ Casey Fields Saturday 9th March 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

huh? how is having an opinion on May denied because a totally different player is on our list? Especially when that player was widely criticised on our board for that.

FWIW i think calls like dog act and the like are a bit wide of the mark, however May does have an extensive history of stepping over the line during games, especially against the lions. His first instinct is to always bump even when there are alternatives. It doesn't make him a bad guy but he does have a preference to play the person and not the ball in a lot of instances and with that comes consequences when he gets it wrong.

oh and while we're on the topic of casting assertions on character where its not warranted, the criticism of Berry is massively wide of the mark. Sure he's only a third year player but he'd be one of the toughest guys going around, is as hard at it and fair as anyone in the comp. Intimating that he went down unwarranted or as a result of him being small or timid is so far wide of the mark its not even funny.

I think it's pretty rich calling someone a dog for how they play the game on the field, and highlighted a better example of actual character. You guys had the Scott brothers, Chris Johnson, Mal Michael etc, all who played in a similar vein to May so I don't know why you all get up in arms about that style given it delivered one of the most successful club periods in AFL history.

I agree all of your post actually, and have said as much to the people on this board who have called Berry soft.

The only thing that concerns me is that alot of people seem to think we can ignore pre season results completely and just switch it on for Round 1. However let's not forget we have only had 1 good season in 13 years.. not sure we can be so bla...say

How the **** do you spell that word
blase

Yeah I felt the family day might have been a bit lacklustre for small children - who are basically the audience that it is designed for. Needed some more rides and diversions, otherwise it becomes a three hour event comprised virtually entirely of standing in long queues for a photo with a player punctuated by standing in long queues at limited food trucks. For some weird reason, only one truck was ‘permitted’ to sell coffee - so buying a coffee and then a ham cheese jaffle took the best part of 45 minutes.

However mission accomplished - I got Jack Viney cups for harry000 and Gysberts2Bate

For some reason it wont let me DM you.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
When I played footy < 10 years ago (i.e. not the 70s 80s or 90s) if you weren't paying attention in the warm up you would get put on your ass by a more senior player.

ALWAYS expect contact. **** people are a bunch of soft utensils now days.

Yep when we were doing our run throughs the coaches would kick footys at us randomly to make sure we were switched on.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
The only thing that concerns me is that alot of people seem to think we can ignore pre season results completely and just switch it on for Round 1. However let's not forget we have only had 1 good season in 13 years.. not sure we can be so bla...say

How the **** do you spell that word
Blasé

(Did have to double-check)

If you think toxic masculinity is a sentence that should ever be used you are a ******* moron.
Presumably you'll back this up with scholarly analysis?

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Presumably you'll back this up with scholarly analysis?

Associating masculinity
(qualities or attributes regarded as characteristic of men.) As evil or negative is the same closed minded behaviour people complain about in other parts of society

Imagine the phrase toxic aboriginality
"Not all aboriginals just the bad ones"

The progressive generation teaching equality by preaching hatred of a gender.. That's 2019

It's a ******* moronic phrase invented by male hating feminists. Probably right up your ally.

Last edited:
Bears/Lions supporters, unless you have something of value to offer, go away please.

And we reserve the right to decide what constitutes 'value.'

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
"He argued based on the footage alone, the impact "must be more than low", and that the act had potential to cause injury."

Another year, another post from me saying that taking injury or potential injury into account is stupid and opens up way too much grey area, which has been the case here.

Here's a case where the player who was bumped wasn't actually injured in any way, but the rules which take injury into account still suspended the bloke anyway?

I'd argue 'how can it NOT be low-impact if the player wasn't injured?' What is low-impact anyway? Isn't it different for different players? Just seems a crazy way to do it to me.

They even admitted that he was kept off to make sure he had enough legs for round one, so there goes the argument that 'he didn't come back on'. It's bizarre to me even these years later that 'coming back on' or not comes into the equation. If we were playing Brisbane in Round One, it would have been in Brisbane's interest to keep him off and put an ice pack on his head just to make it look worse, wouldn't it?

The ball was within 5m, which means you're 'allowed' to bump. Could May not have argued that it was a shephard? What were May's alternatives? Let him go to receive the ball from the give and go? I guess he could have tried to stop the collision and just got in his way a bit? But that might be hard to do given May's size. It would also look really weird and pretty much against the fabric of the game. Just my opinion though.

Seems to me like they have just confused people even more with this ruling given the other bumps shown above.

Associating masculinity
(qualities or attributes regarded as characteristic of men.) As evil or negative is the same closed minded behaviour people complain about in other parts of society

Imagine the phrase toxic aboriginality
"Not all aboriginals just the bad ones"

The progressive generation teaching equality by preaching hatred of a gender.. That's 2019

It's a ******* moronic phrase invented by male hating feminists. Probably right up your ally.

Easy mistake to make, TK. Toxic masculinity does not mean 'masculinity is toxic', it means 'certain normative masculine behaviours are toxic in the construction of an equal society'. Ie. Tones, Howard and the bois getting behind George Pell because he's a powerful bloke with powerful mates and oh it was just a bit of vanilla paedophilia but he's so important to an institution that we like. It's a provocative term, sure, but we can state with almost exact certainty that it's valid.

And yeah, it is right up my ally. Feel free to read my thesis on toxic masculinity - I'll send it to you if you like :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Easy mistake to make, TK. Toxic masculinity does not mean 'masculinity is toxic', it means 'certain normative masculine behaviours are toxic in the construction of an equal society'. Ie. Tones, Howard and the bois getting behind George Pell because he's a powerful bloke with powerful mates and oh it was just a bit of vanilla paedophilia but he's so important to an institution that we like. It's a provocative term, sure, but we can state with almost exact certainty that it's valid.

And yeah, it is right up my ally. Feel free to read my thesis on toxic masculinity - I'll send it to you if you like :thumbsu:
I agree about the definition and the example you've provided. Well explained, actually.

However I think these days the term has actually morphed in meaning a bit and does sometimes verge on 'masculinity is toxic' with the way it is used. Sort of like how 'misogyny' has been almost equated to 'sexism'. So I can see where TK is coming from in this particular discussion, not that I necessarily agree.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Have you seen the American razor commercial about it? It's used far more in the bigoted way than the way you describe.

Not across that pedo story at all so I can't really continue this.

Also that Brisbane bloke certainly wasn't using it in the context you used.

Happy to say I'm unaware of its origins or original purpose but I've never heard it used in your context an heard it used hundreds of times in mine.

Have you seen the American razor commercial about it? It's used far more in the bigoted way than the way you describe.

I liked the Gillette advert, which in my eyes was more of a guide to how not to be a campaigner because your kids are watching than a genuine analysis of what toxic masc is. Anyway, not the place for it, but its important to not entirely dismiss a term because some militants use it in a negative way.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I liked the Gillette advert, which in my eyes was more of a guide to how not to be a campaigner because your kids are watching than a genuine analysis of what toxic masc is. Anyway, not the place for it, but its important to not entirely dismiss a term because some militants use it in a negative way.

Yes a company who's labour is most likely exclusively done by underpaid Asian workers in poor conditions is giving out moral lessons.
Like most things the term itself might have originally been created for an important topic but it's definently not used for that anymore.

The promotion of women an women being supportive of each other an strong an independent whilst simultaneously running a campaign on everything that's wrong with men is a shithouse way to reach equality.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

More importantly though, Topkent is right in saying that anyone who thinks Toxic Masculinity is a sentence that can be used is a ******* moron - he’s not wrong. Toxic Masculinity isn’t a sentence. Doesn’t have any verb action going there at all.

Happy to say I'm unaware of its origins or original purpose but I've never heard it used in your context an heard it used hundreds of times in mine.
That ad is 'Torches of Freedom' manipulative rubbish designed purely to stir up as much controversy as possible. Gillette don't give a s**t about gender issues or masculinity, they care about selling razors and that is all that ad is designed to do. Buy more shaving gear and stick it to the chauvinist bastards on the internet.

It's like Disney co-opting feminism to sell tickets to their latest by-the-numbers superhero movie in Captain Marvel. One of the most bland movies ever with a message that was about as deep as yelling "girl power!" But you're not a good feminist if you don't go and buy a ticket.

Causes have become corporate products.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back