Review JLT 2 vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Some pretty harsh comments on Ebert. Last week and after internal trial, everyone singing his praises (rightly so) and saying how the new position suits him.

His fwd line pressure was great yesterday. I remember 2 great tackles that led to scoring shots.

He's still adjusting to the new role, but he's a lock for rd1 and is far from cooked

North - as they do with all things concerning umpiring - seemed to cotton on to this very quickly, so there was a bit of high-fiving when they got their 100m penalty. As if they had succeeded in their attempt to deliberately milk the extra 50m by Campbell (or whoever it was) running towards Westhoff's path.

This is a situation where a problem created by a lack of common-sense will be made worse by the application of a law. How many rounds will it last before it gets exploited so much by the cunning coaches (whose name usually contains the word "Scott") that it's scrapped?

Player cannot run TOWARDS an opposing player. It would be "playing on." He must follow the path taken by the umpire.

Westhoff was stading on that path. The North player speeded up to put him in the zone.

The rule is being called exactly like the regular free-kick infringement. At least, there have been consistency.

Steven Motlop looks more like Daniel every time I see him.
When Motlop first moved to Adelaide last year, he was my Neighbour for 6 months or so in Grange. Daniel would come over his house almost daily, was basically just his fatter twin lol. They look so much alike.
Daniel would park over half my driveway all the time. If it was anyone else I would have been mad lol.

Do you think that’s because he’s fitter this year or playing a different role?

Looks much fitter to me. You don't lose your ability overnight. We're seeing it with Boak too. Both of these guys are All Australians, B&F winners and former club captains. They are high quality players and neither of them are old enough yet to be incapable of getting back to somewhere near their best footy.

Player cannot run TOWARDS an opposing player. It would be "playing on." He must follow the path taken by the umpire.

Westhoff was stading on that path. The North player speeded up to put him in the zone.

The rule is being called exactly like the regular free-kick infringement. At least, there have been consistency.
And Higgins started behind DBJ, then sped up to run past him and ran into DBJ's path, enough to make him have to change direction slightly. I thought that was exactly what the extra 50m was designed to stop.
Campbell started behind Westhoff, then as you say sped up and ran towards Westhoff, banking on the fact that the umpire would be stupid enough to not take notice and just mindlessly enforce the rule. Which he did.

So if the rule is to be enforced mindlessly, it's going to be exploited. And Brad Scott is the master at knowing when to bank on the mindlessness of umpires.

When do North next play one of the big Vic clubs? That's the round it'll be scrapped.

From what I've seen and assuming some players will be unavailable I don't see anyone replacing Butters, Rozee or Duursma. The latter looks ok to me. Comparisons to O'Shea? No.

A lot of people saying Boak seems to be over any injuries and looking fitter etc. I just think this improved form is simply a case of a x2 AA midfielder being played in the midfield. On the odd occasion he was thrown in there the past 2 years he looked just like he did yesterday, just not cut out for whatever forward role we were trying to mould him into. I feel a bit bad we wasted 2 years of his prime.

Ball movement was a big improvement yesterday although so many kicks into the 50 were low darts that fell 10m short of the fwd. Could easily had a lot more marks I50 if that was cleaner.

Defence in 1on1 situations a concern.

My preseason prediction is that we will finish just outside the 8 however I think we will feel a lot more positive looking forward to future seasons and will be an exciting team to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any rule change that encourages players to milk extra penalties is a failure and needs to be scrapped
We all know they won't scrap it ... They will adjust it. Simple .. If the player taking the 50m free takes one step off his direct line to the goal it is play on. That will def happen IMO. Yesterday the Hoff still ran too close to the penalty talker ... Dumb!

Not sure what went on but Robbie took a bit of dislike towards Jasper, edit it was Polly, at one stage. Gave away a free and Jasper (Polly) patted him on the backside. At the next contest Robbie had another go.
It began at 3 quarter time. Polly had a bit of a laugh and a joke with Hinkley as he walked off the ground, then a few seconds later Ryder came across and gave him an elbow to the chest. It appeared Polec thought it was all in good spirits, until Ryder gave him another spray and the look on Polec's face showed it wasn't matey banter. Within 2 minutes Ryder and Gray collided and Polec said something to Ryder as he came off the ground. That was then followed by Gray getting into Polec.

I watched with interest at the end of the game. Pittard had plenty of blokes come up for a chat...Polec, not so much.

Most people don't like it when campaigners come to the club and swan around for four years doing * all and then pull their finger out every time there is a contract extension. Especially a professional like Robbie Gray, who would consider Polec's lack of application part of the reason why Port hadn't featured more heavily in finals.

Both Gray and Ryder know that Polec's contract demands would have meant that neither of them would have got the deals they deserve this year.

He played a couple of good games, but 2018 saw him return the worst numbers of his career (including his first full season of footy at the Lions in 2010) and he generally looked a shadow of himself by any measure.

Which given his age and the size and length of his contract was more than ominous.
Sure, it was a poor year by his standard and signs were poor in the past few games in particular. But people talk like he did nothing but stink it up last year, which just isn't true.

21 marks inside 50 to 8.

To score, they were simply going straight through our defence uncontested, or over them. We've got to improve big time in that space.

If a team took 21 marks to 8 i50 usually you would expect a 80-100 point killing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back