Autopsy JLT 2017 - Wk2 - What have you liked, learnt or hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
- Richmond looks better than they were last year, which is a positive. One concern though is how short we appeared against Adelaide all over the ground (especially in our forward line), so I was glad that they found a way to work around it as the game went on to score 92 points.

- I know that it is only a preseason game, but West Coast were very good. I don't think you display that level of skill if you are a bad team, so I see them having a crack at the top 4.

- Adelaide have deficiencies in the midfield, but they are still good. Although Richmond beat them in the midfield, their potent forward line and solid defence kept up with us. See them making the 8.

- Melbourne look good. I think they are the most likely to make the 8 this year out of the teams that didn't make the 8 last year. Petracca is showing very good signs!

- St Kilda players look much bigger than they did last year. They still have their speed which is good.

I haven't learnt much from Port Adelaide, Fremantle and Carlton. It was their first hitout for the preseason so we should get more of an idea as the other preseason games come around.

Liked - No injuries (for Richmond anyway)

Learnt - People still read too much into pre season game results. (I know it's to be expected, but I can hope people will smarten up, can't I?)

Hated - People reading too much into pre season game results. (especially fun is the annual event of non Richmond fans saying how Richmond fans are being
wildly optimistic, without being able to point to such posts)

George Costanza needs to play every game for Richmond this season. He's good in the midfield and can win his fair share of contested possessions and he can kick goals when playing as a half forward.

Curtly Hampton could be an x-factor for Adelaide this year.

St Kilda are building a decent forward half with McCartin, Bruce, Membrey, Billings, Lonie etc.

Melbourne are building a strong line-up that could push towards a top 8 spot in 2017. The only weakness they have in the team is the small forward spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
George Costanza needs to play every game for Richmond this season. He's good in the midfield and can win his fair share of contested possessions and he can kick goals when playing as a half forward.

Curtly Hampton could be an x-factor for Adelaide this year.

St Kilda are building a decent forward half with McCartin, Bruce, Membrey, Billings, Lonie etc.

Melbourne are building a strong line-up that could push towards a top 8 spot in 2017. The only weakness they have in the team is the small forward spots.
Jeff Garlett gives them a very good option. And I think Brayshaw and petracca will spend a bit of time down there too.
Kennedy is hot and cold but still young enough to work on the consistency.
Dees line up would be top of the list for a 2016 non-finalist to make the 8.

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Carlton are in for a long winter, probably several long winters. The damage done to their list by Malthouse is beyond repair, plugging gaps with GWS cast offs only reduces how far you slide down the ladder not help you build into a finals contender.

Eh, some of the GWS castoffs can play. Marchbank looks good, Pickett could be something. Not sure about the likes of Plowman, Palmer, Lamb, Phillips, Sumner, Jacksch and Whiley though.

Carlton's problem is they don't have a forwardline, Fevola has been their last decent forward and that was a while ago.

Eh, some of the GWS castoffs can play. Marchbank looks good, Pickett could be something. Not sure about the likes of Plowman, Palmer, Lamb, Phillips, Sumner, Jacksch and Whiley though.

Carlton's problem is they don't have a forwardline, Fevola has been their last decent forward and that was a while ago.
So you are saying 2 out of 9 could be ok?
Yeah good trading from them

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back