JLT 2017 - Wk3 - WEstern Bulldogs v Brisbane, Etihad Stadium, 7.30pm, Foxfooty

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe. I just know if you look through history, you'll find teams who perform well in the pre-season tend to follow up with a very good season.

Except Carlton, they are an anomaly.

We topped the preseason 'ladder' last year and then...

fgBS2pg.gif

Its not a sprint, its a marathon and all in perspective. It was good to see a little spring back into the Lions again and some improvement this year is on the cards

Dermie, give it up, find a beach on the peninsula and just sit there for the rest of time.
Hey Derm, you were one of the greatest forwards I have ever seen play the game, but as a commentator, seriously get the basics right, like the player's names.
LIAM Picken not long ago kicked 3 in a GF and has played over 100 games
Lazy commentating
F***wit

Far too young, however, I feel like we are building a quality, talented young list and I am confident Fagan will set us on the right path. My main positive from tonight is Eric Hipwood continuing to show the exciting signs that he showed last year.
Andrews goes alright too.

It's just for the "pre-season form means nothing" crowd. History shows that's not the case.

It would definitely mean something for us if the guys playing now are all in the same team in the season proper.

Of course Tim English, Mitch honeychurch, bailey williams, Lewis young, Nathan mullenger-McHugh etc are going to offer us different levels of play than Bont, Libba, Murphy, Roughead etc

It would definitely mean something for us if the guys playing now are all in the same team in the season proper.

Of course Tim English, Mitch honeychurch, bailey williams, Lewis young, Nathan mullenger-McHugh etc are going to offer us different levels of play than Bont, Libba, Murphy, Roughead etc

Although it's posted on this game day thread, my conclusion that good pre-season form leads to good regular season from has absolutely nothing to do with the game just played. I'm just basing it on facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...l_League_pre-season_and_night_series_premiers

Since the introduction of the final 8 in 1994 21 Pre-Season Grand Finalists performed better than the previous season, and 8 performed at the same level. I think that's a significant enough Sample size. Also 28 of 40 teams played finals that year.

My point is simply, don't ignore good pre-season from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although it's posted on this game day thread, my conclusion that good pre-season form leads to good regular season from has absolutely nothing to do with the game just played. I'm just basing it on facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...l_League_pre-season_and_night_series_premiers

Since the introduction of the final 8 in 1994 21 Pre-Season Grand Finalists performed better than the previous season, and 8 performed at the same level. I think that's a significant enough Sample size. Also 28 of 40 teams played finals that year.

My point is simply, don't ignore good pre-season from.
That's a pretty simplistic correlation though. 15 years ago it would have been hard to argue. But the pre season comp these days is nothing compared to what it used to be. The 90s in particular with the Ansett cup was something all teams did their best to win. They went full tilt. Even the wizard cup had a bit of that feel so it made sense teams who won the pre season performed well in the season proper. But these days the pre season is simply practice matches. Teams are using it as a warm up. It's not reflective of round 1 onwards at all.

So if Melbourne are superstars according to the Media because of their JLT form then the Dogs are in free fall and Beveridge is a one trick pony.

Yep, according to Dermie and the media - sack Beveridge

That's a pretty simplistic correlation though. 15 years ago it would have been hard to argue. But the pre season comp these days is nothing compared to what it used to be. The 90s in particular with the Ansett cup was something all teams did their best to win. They went full tilt. Even the wizard cup had a bit of that feel so it made sense teams who won the pre season performed well in the season proper. But these days the pre season is simply practice matches. Teams are using it as a warm up. It's not reflective of round 1 onwards at all.

You might be right. Although the winning teams from the 90's didn't do as well as the winning teams from the 2000's.

Since the re-brand 6 teams have won each game (3 in 2014 and 3 in 2016). 3 performed better than the previous year (Adelaide & West Coast 2014, Melbourne 2016) 1 performed the same (Hawthorn 2014) and 2 Worse (Collingwood and Fremantle in 2016). Although, only 1 of those teams made finals.

For mine, good pre-season form generally indicates a good team. Most who completely dismiss it generally have a bias (either their own side didn't do well, or they don't like/rate the sides who did). Those who embrace pre-season form get accused of getting carried away, so it's easier to just claim it all means nothing.

There's 5 (I think) undefeated teams so far this pre-season. Melbourne, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, St. Kilda and GWS.

If these teams can win all their games, my advice would be to keep an eye on them, as they'll probably improve from 2016, and quite possibly make the 8 (in the case of GC, Melb and Stk.)

Far too young, however, I feel like we are building a quality, talented young list and I am confident Fagan will set us on the right path. My main positive from tonight is Eric Hipwood continuing to show the exciting signs that he showed last year.

Your current best 22 looks about the same age as our premiership side so I don't think that's going to hold you back from pushing top 10 at least.

Nothing much to read in to the match but the Lions structure out of defence was much better.
Also the players would have been happy to hold on for a win after Dogs mounted half a challenge after half time.
Will be interested to see if Blues look better this week.

Your current best 22 looks about the same age as our premiership side so I don't think that's going to hold you back from pushing top 10 at least.
If you mean top 10 this year, then you're probably not looking at the right predicted Lions 22 side. From a quick glance, this team looks far more experienced than anything we've fielded since 2011 or 2012.
upload_2017-3-3_13-18-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-3_13-18-0.png
    upload_2017-3-3_13-18-0.png
    7 KB · Views: 4
You might be right. Although the winning teams from the 90's didn't do as well as the winning teams from the 2000's.

Since the re-brand 6 teams have won each game (3 in 2014 and 3 in 2016). 3 performed better than the previous year (Adelaide & West Coast 2014, Melbourne 2016) 1 performed the same (Hawthorn 2014) and 2 Worse (Collingwood and Fremantle in 2016). Although, only 1 of those teams made finals.

For mine, good pre-season form generally indicates a good team. Most who completely dismiss it generally have a bias (either their own side didn't do well, or they don't like/rate the sides who did). Those who embrace pre-season form get accused of getting carried away, so it's easier to just claim it all means nothing.

There's 5 (I think) undefeated teams so far this pre-season. Melbourne, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, St. Kilda and GWS.

If these teams can win all their games, my advice would be to keep an eye on them, as they'll probably improve from 2016, and quite possibly make the 8 (in the case of GC, Melb and Stk.)
Will you re-assess Geelong's prospects for 2017 if they go 0 and 3 during these games?

If you mean top 10 this year, then you're probably not looking at the right predicted Lions 22 side. From a quick glance, this team looks far more experienced than anything we've fielded since 2011 or 2012.
View attachment 341977

That side was 24.5 years old on average with an average of 82 games played. Now take 5 months and ~17 games off that as that's what they were at round 1 2016. Now compare it to the Lions best 22 now and it's not too different unless I've got your best 22 completely wrong. I don't really subscribe to the time tables clubs have put on their premiership tilts such as the "5 year plan" you sometimes hear. If the dogs can do it in 2 years, and about 4 years before their peak age, then I believe any club can make the 8 with the right draw and the right injury luck. The Lions look talented enough, so I just don't see why not. You've got these 200+cm young guns at both ends of the ground, and you probably have a good enough midfield to make the 8 in 2017 or 2018. Every time I take a closer look at another clubs list I see it's better than what I thought it was, so I'm not going to underrate what teams are capable of, especially if they have a good tactical coach at the helm.

The previous two seasons the dogs pre season form was excellent and that rolled over into the season proper.
We can make excuses and say the pre season means nothing,and those thoughts would have merit. There's no escaping the fact though the dogs look very flat and ordinary so far during the preseason. Might mean nothing,might mean something.

Also,not sure what's going on with Bont. He's obviously not 100%. Don't think he has an acillies like was said in the rumours thread,but locking that thread while he's yet to play a JLT game was extremely precious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back