Review JLT Community NAB Ansett Wizard Cup Series Game 1: Essendon v Collingwood, 16/2, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that did happen which rates a mention. Hocking did not play. Now it does not matter if you think he is best 22 or best 24 or whatever every other fit player out of the suspended group played. The only others to miss apart from Hocking had injuries. Given it was a pretty big moment for them to get back on the field it was a bit of a kick in the guts for a loyal club man who the first to sign, did not get a huge deal and has generally put the club first at all times.
In the scheme of things as far as big picture goes it may well not amount to much but he should have played along side the others. All bets are off for round 1 but it was not the right decision this week IMO.

Page 29...

PADDYYY AMBROSEEEE!!

Will play every week this season and concede less than 25 goals.

But give up 40 due to dropped marks, careless free kicks and turnovers by hand or foot.

But give up 40 due to dropped marks, careless free kicks and turnovers by hand or foot.
Not sure that's valid.
78.64 disposal efficiency last year (6th on our list), and he tended to try and kill the ball rather than mark a lot more as he got more comfortable in the backline. Averaged fewer frees against than Hartley and Pops for example.
Look, he's never going to be a sublime user, but these days he's ugly but reasonably reliable by foot and really quite decent with the short handball (imo).
Also, he's my boy this year so I got to stand up for him...

Not sure that's valid.
78.64 disposal efficiency last year (6th on our list), and he tended to try and kill the ball rather than mark a lot more as he got more comfortable in the backline. Averaged fewer frees against than Hartley and Pops for example.
Look, he's never going to be a sublime user, but these days he's ugly but reasonably reliable by foot and really quite decent with the short handball (imo).
I wouldn't put much into the disposal efficiency all defenders have higher efficiency than other positions, he is not a good kick at all but not just that but a poor decision maker with ball in hand, he is a tough stopper with good fitness and that is it, every club needs a dedicated negater but would like him to eliminate clumsy free kicks and to release the ball to better players a lot quicker if I'm to be confident of his spot in the side

Not sure that's valid.

I have pumped him up heaps. Last year plenty wanted to give him the chop. After the first game i commented he did well on Lynch as a defender and copped a little flak.
Simply highlighting where he has to improve . IMO at this stage i have Hartley and Brown in front of him but i have been a fan of his defense and his all out team efforts.

I have pumped him up heaps. Last year plenty wanted to give him the chop. After the first game i commented he did well on Lynch as a defender and copped a little flak.
Simply highlighting where he has to improve . IMO at this stage i have Hartley and Brown in front of him but i have been a fan of his defense and his all out team efforts.

Assuming that Hartley, Brown, Hurley and Ambrose are all "at their best" which three do you go with?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First three at this stage.
How do you rate Brown so far? I feel like i've been a voice in the wilderness supporting him... Seems to be off most peoples radar, but i just like the way he goes about it. Hasn't set the world on fire as yet, but seems to have time and poise...

How do you rate Brown so far? I feel like i've been a voice in the wilderness supporting him... Seems to be off most peoples radar, but i just like the way he goes about it. Hasn't set the world on fire as yet, but seems to have time and poise...

I don't mind Brown I just wish he wold shows a bit of mongrel when he plays.

Like him in defense. Good intercept mark, strong defender. Good for the second/third KPF or medium forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back