Review JLT Community NAB Ansett Wizard Cup Series Game 1: Essendon v Collingwood, 16/2, 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not tall enough and the umpires hate him... But beyond Luey there's nothing. Smack is better as a second string ruck than Stewart, who should be seen as a 3rd/tall flanker more than anything else. A fit Bellchambers reclaiming his 1912 (sic) form would be ideal but you just can't rely on that happening.
Maybe he should get more chummy with them between now and season proper.
Takem for mocha latte, get them something nice while shopping and get pedicures with red and black nail polished pinkies.

Wow, just wow.
That is a massive rant and a whole lot of nonsense. All I said was, Ambrose gave away a couple of very simple frees (which he did) leading to shots on goal, therefore was not excellent. Given his only role is as a stopper and nothing else, that is not excellent.
You're inferring that I'm suggesting we move Ambrose on!?... get a grip mate, I only said he wasn't excellent, but not a big deal because it's only February.
You've gone on a big tangent about me apparently overlooking Brown's errors in comparison !? I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion given the only comment I've made about Brown's game is that he was poor?
It's obviously been a long week, perhaps have yourself a hot bath.

Hardly a rant, just pointing out you were wrong about Ambrose.

Cant rely on getting goals from turn overs need goals from stoppages too.
If you set up for turnovers, stoppages become irrelevant. If u rely on the turnover from a stoppage and mids get separation from that clearance then turning defence into attack is a good approach. It's more reliable than the uncertainty of winning a clearance and hoping u can stop scoring from a stoppage.

Last edited:
Went along. A couple of thoughts:
- how are these fish and chips 12.50?
- As I mentioned somewhere, McGrath was fine. Showed composure most of the time, did a job defensively, and used the ball when he got it. Good start, but please start looking to kick more brah.
- Ambrose did keep Moore quiet, but I can't recall feeling relaxed when the pair were one-on-one. Looked a bit rusty early with 3 dropped/poorly judged intercept mark opportunities, but improved.
- Mckernan's game was more indicative of both his usual improved performance when he gets to roam around at stoppages, and of what is apparently called Collingwood's defence. He may be a putrid ruckman, but he loves to be in the midfield more.
- there's sun in my eyes and I'm wearing sunglasses. This is exactly what you're supposed to protect me from.
- Jobe, you magnificent bastard. Call me John Hamburg, because I'm directing an "I love you, man" right your way.
- Parish was really good, but I'm noticing over the last couple of weeks that he is slowly becoming the king of the clearance kick to no one on a flank. Nit-picking though.
- When we were able to run through the middle we looked good, but I think the Pies did a reasonable job of getting extra numbers through and pushing us wider.
- Forward pressure looks like it'll be a thing this year. That's pretty cool.
- 90-odd points without JDan and Old Hook is nice.
- I'm tired.

Hardly a rant, just pointing out you were wrong about Ambrose.

Actually he was not. Ambrose did a super job but he still has to get the simple mistakes out of his game and it was not just the free kicks. Dropped marks and poor kicks that result in turn overs. I have stood up for him a lot and early last year i was almost the lone poster that thought he was going ok in defense but he still makes basic mistakes that cost us.

Another thing, I know it's Mickey mouse but it's training for the real thing.

We were around 5 goals up then that was eroded in a small time (granted super goals) same last night with Hawks giving up 7 straight.

Isn't the JLT a perfect chance to train and or enact code slow practices for stemming bleeding once an opponent gets a run on?

No one wants to see chip chip or players behind the ball in JLT , everyone wants flow and goals but I'd like to see us maybe prsctice triggering some kind of game plan tweak say if an opponent kicks a couple in a row and gets moving.

It's been an issue for us for ages, letting score against haemorrhage in small bursts of time.

One of our officials from the coaches box came out and spoke to us during the game. He said collingwood had been playing 2 behind the ball the whole game. did anyone else notice this?

I did and it s**t me no end as a Pies fan. Absolutely no need for it in a pre-season match!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually he was not. Ambrose did a super job but he still has to get the simple mistakes out of his game and it was not just the free kicks. Dropped marks and poor kicks that result in turn overs. I have stood up for him a lot and early last year i was almost the lone poster that thought he was going ok in defense but he still makes basic mistakes that cost us.

Opinion....

My thoughts

#1 McGrath - Looked scrappy, seemed to try and sprint instead of conserving energy. Combined with sloppy disposal think he's a bust guys.
#3 Parish - Dunno what happened in the off-season but seems to have lost his mongrel. Only 2 tackles? WTF
#4 Watson - Bloke looks way to slow for the AFL now, we need midfielders that can use their speed to burn through packs. Not even sure he can go forward because I have no idea who he beats on the lead
#7 Merrett - Does this bloke have a right foot? Also 13 handballs to 12 kicks is simply unforgivable. Screams of the Cotchin style stat padding one two plays.
#8 Gleeson - Hasn't put on any size, might have the courage but when you weigh 35kg soaking wet with 20kg dumbells in your pocket you're gonna have issues.
#9 Goddard - Lack of captaincy seems to have hit him hard, instead of his normal happy self out there he seemed angry when the umpires pinged him. Could have serious discipline issues.
#11 Zaharakis - Only 17 touches. Seems like losing the inside role he was playing last year has hurt him, not sure he's suited to being an outside mid.
#13 Fantasia - Selfish. At least 2 of his goals he had players in better positions to give it to, sure he kicked them last night but he wont always.
#15 Green - An absurd handball to kick rate for a small forward, will also cost us crowd size as mothers wont let their children come for fear of being scarred.
#17 Stewart - Great a KPF that can't take marks, GWS got rid of him for a reason guys.
#18 Hurley - Got outmarked at least once that I saw, maybe time to swing him forward.
#20 Jerrett - Its the other one. Sums it up I think.
#21 Heppell - Captaincy weighs heavily on him, looked like a deer caught in the headlights. Could be VFL captain by years end.
#22 Leunberger - Lost the hit out count at the end of the night. Where oh where is Bellchambers?
#23 Myers - Like Watson appears to have lost his explosive pace, also no right foot.
#24 Bird - Did everything right, looked solid with the ball and plenty of work done when he didn't have possession. How he's not in the leadership group astounds me.
#28 Brown - Hopeless. Didn't score at all.
#29 Ambrose - Undersized KPB that doesn't get enough of the ball, the modern game is all about the rebound and I don't see a future for defenders who's primary objective is to defend.
#30 Langford - I've been told this blokes a midfielder but he spent the vast majority of the game around the forward 50. Needs to learn his role.
#32 Colyer - Runs to fast, needs to slow down so his teamamtes can keep up.
#40 Howlett - Zero intensity around the ball and took a lucky mark is what I took from this game.
#43 Walla - Similar to Colyer, moves to quick needs to slow down and assess his options. Also worst diver since Leroy Jetta
#44 McKernan - Got killed in the ruck, god help us is we need him during the season. Was ok-ish at times up forward.
#47 Kelly - Told old, should've been delisted last year and a more youthful player picked.
#49 Dea - Vanilla. You don't win flags with vanillia, just like you don't make friends with salad.
How did we score at all

Another thing, I know it's Mickey mouse but it's training for the real thing.

We were around 5 goals up then that was eroded in a small time (granted super goals) same last night with Hawks giving up 7 straight.

Isn't the JLT a perfect chance to train and or enact code slow practices for stemming bleeding once an opponent gets a run on?

No one wants to see chip chip or players behind the ball in JLT , everyone wants flow and goals but I'd like to see us maybe prsctice triggering some kind of game plan tweak say if an opponent kicks a couple in a row and gets moving.

It's been an issue for us for ages, letting score against haemorrhage in small bursts of time.

We rested most of our midfield in the final quarter, I'd have been shocked if we'd been able to hold on.

after the camera cut Watson said - id like to single out Ambrose for being terrible and having no attacking ability from full back. But it didnt suit our comeback story so was edited out

Seriously, why even mention McGrath? He did absolutely nothing.

Colyer zip in the first quarter? Either Worsfold was taking the piss or he was eating an enormous sandwich for dinner.

Seriously, why even mention McGrath? He did absolutely nothing.

Colyer zip in the first quarter? Either Worsfold was taking the piss or he was eating an enormous sandwich for dinner.
A little encouragement doesn't go astray Bruno.

after the camera cut Watson said - id like to single out Ambrose for being terrible and having no attacking ability from full back. But it didnt suit our comeback story so was edited out
Lol. Then he asked Ambrose how he managed to drop that mark and they all lost their s**t :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back