hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
i dont think they should wear it against freo or carlton at all. thats where it ends for me
That's great but it doesn't answer my question.
Given they DO wear it against Freo, shouldn't they also wear it against Carlton?
IDGAF about your opinion of whether you think it should be worn at all. Would you prefer the rule (s**t or good) be applied consistently or in the current shambolic way?

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
That's great but it doesn't answer my question.
Given they DO wear it against Freo, shouldn't they also wear it against Carlton?
IDGAF about your opinion of whether you think it should be worn at all. Would you prefer the rule (s**t or good) be applied consistently or in the current shambolic way?
not answering the question as they shouldnt be wearing it against freo . clash jumpers should be worn where there is a real clash

essendon dont clash with freo or carlton

TysonMoneybags

Debutant
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
The clash itself isn't too bad, I can deal with that. but it's just the lack of consistency which is the worst part of it. If a=b and b=c, therefore c=a. If Essendon v Freo clash and Freo v Blues clash, therefore Essendon v Blues clash. Sorry for the math lesson but the AFL badly need one.
This isn't entirely true; I don't think transitive properties apply to football game clashes.

Imagine jumper A is entirely red, jumper B is half red and half blue, and jumper C is entirely blue. A would be similar to B, B would be similar to C, but A and C would be fine together.

That said, Essendon wearing a mostly red jumper against Carlton makes sense to me; it's definitely easier to see the difference between red and navy than navy and black. Teams should just design their clash jumpers so they're happy to wear them in any away game and the AFL should just pick which jumper would provide the greatest contrast.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
not answering the question as they shouldnt be wearing it against freo . clash jumpers should be worn where there is a real clash

essendon dont clash with freo or carlton
They ARE wearing it against Freo. So to be consistent they should wear it against Carlton, as their jumper is even darker. Yes/No.

It's not about IF they do, it's about should the rule be applied consistently. Whether the rule is s**t or not. It's not that hard of a question but you're sure as hell making it one. Please participate in the discussion instead of stonewalling it.

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
They ARE wearing it against Freo. So to be consistent they should wear it against Carlton, as their jumper is even darker. Yes/No.

It's not about IF they do, it's about should the rule be applied consistently. Whether the rule is s**t or not. It's not that hard of a question but you're sure as hell making it one. Please participate in the discussion instead of stonewalling it.
the answer to your question is no they should not wear a clash against carlton because they do against freo, and they should not wear one against freo either. but even if they are wearing it against freo they should still not wear it against carlton because it is wrong in both cases

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
the answer to your question is no they should not wear a clash against carlton because they do against freo, and they should not wear one against freo either. but even if they are wearing it against freo they should still not wear it against carlton because it is wrong in both cases
Given the reasoning I have previously put forward, why (apart from "coz they shouldn't") should the clash jumper NOT be used against Carlton?

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Given the reasoning I have previously put forward, why (apart from "coz they shouldn't") should the clash jumper NOT be used against Carlton?

I think his stance is pretty obvious and there is no point in this discussion continuing to go around in circles.

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
because there is no clash

if you cannot see the big red sash that goes all around the jumper then you are colourblind and shouldn't be playing footy

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
because there is no clash

if you cannot see the big red sash that goes all around the jumper then you are colourblind and shouldn't be playing footy
Crow is right, this is going round in circles. Which is s**t because this is a place to have a discussion but when one party is trying to stonewall and refuse to engage in the question being posed, it goes nowhere.
All I asked was a reasonable justification for WHY. It's frustrating to put a logical case forward and be shut down by someone saying no, essentially "just because".
Please in future consider putting personal opinions aside and working within the parameters of the scenario being posed. I did that - I acknowledged that you don't believe the clash jumper is necessary in either case and to some degree I agree. But when I asked if the rule should be applied consistently even if it's a s**t rule you wouldn't budge. It makes this whole thing frustrating as hell.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
This isn't entirely true; I don't think transitive properties apply to football game clashes.

Imagine jumper A is entirely red, jumper B is half red and half blue, and jumper C is entirely blue. A would be similar to B, B would be similar to C, but A and C would be fine together.

That said, Essendon wearing a mostly red jumper against Carlton makes sense to me; it's definitely easier to see the difference between red and navy than navy and black. Teams should just design their clash jumpers so they're happy to wear them in any away game and the AFL should just pick which jumper would provide the greatest contrast.
I was mainly talking about that specific clash but yeah there are some cases where this rules doesn't minimise clash as much as it can. The a=b=c rule shouldn't be a hard and fast rule, but it works for more cases than not.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like how people's opinions (re: Essendon being allowed to wear the home with white shorts against Carlton) are being completely shut down, muted, and discouraged like it's fact.

Kind of feels a bit 2 and 2 is 5?

People should be allowed to hypothesise and have opinions. There's no hard fast, black and white, navy and black to it. To some people it clashes and to others it doesn't.

Heat-pressed GFG is not looking too flash on the Power's jumper this arvo. Port are wearing the clash today (sign of things to come maybe?) and the GFG box is a different shade of white to the jumper.

Not sure whether I read somewhere on here or around the planet that eventually they'll have sublimated logos

Heat-pressed GFG is not looking too flash on the Power's jumper this arvo. Port are wearing the clash today (sign of things to come maybe?) and the GFG box is a different shade of white to the jumper.

Not sure whether I read somewhere on here or around the planet that eventually they'll have sublimated logos

Edit: just noticed the Optus logo is heat-pressed onto the Crows jumpers too. Looks better than the GFG, but still average. Same deal as Port, not sure whether they'll end up sublimated at some point or not

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory

The white jumper is Port’s pre-season jumper now. The silver will be their clash this year.

The white jumper is Port’s pre-season jumper now. The silver will be their clash this year.

Ah it is too, my bad. Forget they made the change, they've had that jumper as a clash jumper for so long I forgot it was demoted this season

It's a bad decision to change the clash jumper though, the silver looks very average, especially when compared to the white jumper (which is clean, keeps the key design element of the jumper and solves all clashes effectively) Wonder if it will get panned as much as Carlton's 'wolf grey' from last year was, especially given that they're essentially the same colour jumper

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
There was a close up of a crows dude in the crowd wearing a 2013 Puma Adelaide guernsey just then with an Adelaide player infront of him on the fence. The Puma colours looked way more vibrant and ISC looked washed out in comparison

ISC is currently the most washed out looking manufacturer in the league

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Clash strips aren't worn in Carlton v Essendon due to its status as a traditional match-up between 2 foundation clubs.
I'm not even going to bother. This whole discussion was done and ended, and even when it was going, it was clearly spelled out as looking at the use of clash jumpers away from cries of "TRADISHUN!".

thequarry

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is it just me or does the Giants orange look really pale and washed out, almost like a pastel orange. The lighting in Blacktown may make it appear lighter, but not that much I wouldn't have thought

Just talking about this - it does seem a little paler, and the charcoal numbers seem to stand out more against it?

Back