Game Day JLT Community Series - Carlton v Melbourne Game Day Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Coming back to earth after all the hype of our young draftees and steering the club back on track gave supporters hope.
We need to remember that our side is very young and without the necessary experience.
The list has lots of talent and members and supporters need to be patient.
We are in the second year of a rebuild and we need to embrace the growth along this journey as we are still a long way back and have lots of work to do.
Nonetheless it was our first hit out and we will only get better.
Melbourne has a strong list with lots of talent and we are where they were about 3 years ago.
Look for the little sprouts as Bolts always alludes to, and enjoy watching our side grow.
It was not that long ago that posters on BF were predicting that we would not win many games and the growth and positives were going to be judged in other areas other than win/loss record.
GET ON BOARD..... GO BLUES!!!!

I was patient, for a half. Surely thats long enough...

What? It's not? Well crap.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't think we are anywhere near clear out bad, we've already turned over 30 in two years, if we turn over 40 on three to be honest that's when it becomes a joke.

Can't wait for the punchline to the joke then because we have at least another 10 players who will be flung soon enough.

Can't read much into this game at all. Given the difference in numbers of players and rotations. Period. I wouldn't like to go to war(or play footy for that matter) with some on here.

Mitchell or Dion Prestia...for A grade depth.We are still suffering in all areas while the kids improve...Unfortunately we cant do another Judd deal etc it will have to be a genuine makeover....the ship has turned or began to and its a big ship and its slow and the seas of competition are cruel.
SOS knows this-look at his body language when he talks list...look.plus he is giving up his sons.This is Carlton.
Glad Gibbs wont go now....no spoon this year.

We will go to next year's draft with a Top 10 pick which will net us another A Grade midfielder if we choose to go for that player type.

If you keep adding 2-3 ripper players every year for 3-4 years then you end up with a great list of budding talent just like Melbourne have now.

It all takes time and we are well down the path, just have to be patient whilst all theses young newbies develop physically & mentally.

Forget Gibbs, he won't be around when we next salute, the team will be chock-full of the young guys we picked up over the past two years and this year - dem's da facts !!!

Two things I did like from yesterday that I think will really devlop over the next 2 seasons

1. Our defence will be very very good and has options. Also, is very flexible in that we have players that can match up on several options and can go forward when needed.

2. Our midfield has some depth now (not A grade but developing) and has some real talent coming through. Murphy, Gibbs were good, Curnow worked hard and Palmer started to find his way. Smedts I'm not sure yet but importantly Charlie & Fisher won a lot of there own ball and are creative. Cuningham is a work in progress but won't die wondering. They also work hard both ways. Add Cripps, SPS and maybe Polson and it has some depth. Wright is a handy back up. Also, thought Kruezer looked the most agile I have seen him in a long while.

I also think that those that can take the extra training/conditioning have been hit hard by BB and co this preseason- like last year they were given a run for the runs sake but were not completely off their training loads. So if Gibbs, Murphy, Palmer, Smedts, Weitering etc were a bit down , it could be attributed to this. The youngsters were given less of a hammering in preseason and so players like fisher looked ok for the half that they played.

I also think that those that can take the extra training/conditioning have been hit hard by BB and co this preseason- like last year they were given a run for the runs sake but were not completely off their training loads. So if Gibbs, Murphy, Palmer, Smedts, Weitering etc were a bit down , it could be attributed to this. The youngsters were given less of a hammering in preseason and so players like fisher looked ok for the half that they played.

So the reason for yesterday's performance was the training & conditioning they have endured ??

Spare me ........ :rolleyes:

They are elite athletes, not suburban weekend warriors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did not like seeing the captain lying on the ground appealing to the umpire for a free kick when the ball was still in dispute and within reach.

Please Murphy, get that crap out of your game.
That's Fevola level garbage.

Did not like seeing the captain lying on the ground appealing to the umpire for a free kick when the ball was still in dispute and within reach.

Please Murphy, get that crap out of your game.

What was the free kick count?

This. Does anyone have the final interchange numbers?

We did this last year as well, emulating real games by only playing 22 each half and keeping our interchanges below the cap.
Melbourne on the other hand used all 26 players at all times and used unlimited cap changes.

Add this to the fact Melbourne have already had 1 hitout so have miles in the legs, PLUS it means they would treat the game more seriously since they only have 1 more JLT match before the real stuff, and it's easy to see why they ran all over us.
The particular concern was the lack of defensive structure when the ball was turned over. Melbourne clearly had heaps of free players forward of centre. This will happen when you play regular games under regular conditions but not the the enxtent that Melbourne looked fitter then us every time. Melbourne are a better side than us 2-3 years in advance BUT we were without our best structure, our best midfielder, we didn't tag or defend through the middle. We all tried to run and break the lines. Leaving players out to dry when we missed a target. This won't happen round 1. Adelaide said that was nearly there best side they will put on the park round 1.

I love how Dwayne in the commentary box tries to get the balance right between illustrating how bad Carlton are and how good Melbourne are.

In one passage of play he pumps up Melbourne's finals chances and how it's great that they are going to field full strength teams in the JLT leading into round one.

Then in other passages of play he comments on how ominous it is that Carlton is losing comfortably to a side that finished 11th last year and have a number of players missing.

Didn't Dwayne also say Carlton was fielding their best team except for Cripps? (As in he was deliberately trying to make it out as if Carlton was fielding their best team in their set positions and weren't experimenting)

So apparently Petrevski-Seton, Lamb, Armfield, Nick Graham, Andrew Phillips & Ciaran Byrne wouldn't be in contention for our best 22 according to Dwayne.

FAKE NEWS= DWAYNE.

Dwayne, if you were a real reporter, you would have given ideas on what Carlton needs to do to fix their forward line. Instead that was left to a real reporter in Jason Dunstall, from memory?, who stated that Weitering may be needed in the forward line.

Were we lining up with 4 KPDs, or was it three with one on the bench?
Either way we looked pretty slow down back.

Considering he's back from a long term injury/surgery I liked Pickett's few moments. Could show some quick improvement. I wonder how his preseason compares to Sumner's last year (Sumner wasn't in full training during the NAB challenge from memory).

Fisher looks like he'll be a gem particularly when his body catches up with the rest of his game. Quick hands, quick legs and a smart kick.

Byrne, Sumner, Sheehan, SPS, Cripps and maybe Boek and Army would be starters for me.

If Fisher can back up yesterday's game (10 touches in a half - Cuningham had 9 in a full game) we'll have no choice but to play him despite his small frame.

I really hope we see more Weitering forward. Was our best forward of the day and if not for the wind would've had two goals to his name...or three if his running shot was on target.

my vibes from watching the game:

Was about to say Murphy is too anonymous during some games to be captian, then he Bitch slapped Viney and all was well.

Kruezer played like a first round draft pick. Was the first time I've watched him play that I can remember not having any concern over his durability. If he kicked his set shot he would have got full marks.

After watching Fisher I feel our midfield has improved already. Kruezer, Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs, Fisher, SPS, Cuningham, C.Curnow could match up well against Melbourne's midfield in the season proper. Showed more than McGrath which I enjoyed. Plays with conviction.

Pickett: 5 touches, 2 goals and a couple of solid chase downs in a shortened half by a small forward who's been out for a year and didn't do a heap during pre-season and doing it in a losing side. Looks good.

Marchbank will be our Rance. 10 marks, 3 tackles and 18 disposals as a KPD in a shortened game. Zach Whouey?

All of our forwards over 190cm can chase and tackle. This is a huge positive. It is being underestimated how significant Harry McKay's chase down tackles were. A guy over 200cm who as well as being a good target, nails defenders in tackles.

Wright is a good player. Could play for any side.

Plowman looked solid in defence as did Docherty and Simpson.

Melbourne out worked us, which I think can be expected given this was our first hit out, but other the Petracca and Hogan I didn't see a whole lot that we wouldn't have answers for.

I seriously was not disappointed with the game. I felt we could compete with Melbourne in most areas if we brought the same heat as they did and if we threw Cripps and SPS into the middle.

Not saying we would win, but didn't see them dominate in a way which suggests that they would beat us convincingly in the season proper.

We will go to next year's draft with a Top 10 pick which will net us another A Grade midfielder if we choose to go for that player type.

If you keep adding 2-3 ripper players every year for 3-4 years then you end up with a great list of budding talent just like Melbourne have now.

It all takes time and we are well down the path, just have to be patient whilst all theses young newbies develop physically & mentally.

Forget Gibbs, he won't be around when we next salute, the team will be chock-full of the young guys we picked up over the past two years and this year - dem's da facts !!!

Not easy to add 3 quality players for 3-4 years in a row though. I reckon we have done it for the last 2

2015 - Wietering, Curnow, Plowman, McKay, Cunningham, SOSOS. I'm hopeful on all becoming 200 gamers but expect we have at very least 3

2016 - Marchbank, SPS, Fisher, Pickett, Polson, Mcreadie, Lebios. Should get another 3 from this lot

Going forward though its not going to be so straight forward. We gave up Menzel, Yaz, Hendo, Bell, 2017 second rounder and 2E for the above

Nailing a top 5-6 pick is pretty easy, but where do the other 2 quiality players come from, big ask to nail a second and 3rd rounder every year for 3 more years.

That's why I reckon we trade Gibbs so keep the talent coming through the door, he's our only valuable piece worth trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back