Game Day JLT Community Series - Carlton v Melbourne Game Day Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

This keeps being said, yet so many are all gloom & doom after one practice match. Perhaps it would be best if scores weren't keep for these games.
we lost a practice match - we are now at least 5 years away from getting anywhere. I don't think SPS will be any good now - just the way Melbourne moved the ball. I am having doubts about SOS and bolts cause WE LOST A PRACKIE AT CASEY!!!!!!!!

Not worried by Saturday's result in the slightest, as realistically I did not expect any different.

I am, however, pleased that we were able to give some significant game time to a few of the younger players. That's what these matches are all about - they will be better for the run and I look forward to seeing them again next weekend against St Kilda.

The only negative for mine is the injury to Gorringe. Injuries are the one thing we don't want to come from these practice matches, it's a shame to see him go down and I hope the injury is not too serious. He had a fight on his hands to remain on the list beyond 2017, hopefully he gets to fight the fight and not have his papers stamped by injury.

i can understand the logic with only having a 4 man rotation for the game instead of 8, but if we were experimenting so much, why didnt we just run 8 off the bench for the whole game??

i understand match fitness etc, but if these boys are getting experience in the wrong positions, why not get more game time into the boys?

I think the worst part for me about the weekend was there's a hype train for a lot of "rebuilding" teams now - Melbourne, St. Kilda, North, Essendon some what. We aren't apart of that discussion. It's like the whole world doesn't think we have a decent kid besides Cripps. I really wanted a few to SHINE...didn't really see that. Besides Marchbank.

We have traditionally done well in the pre season, for the simple fact that we have taken it more seriously than much of the competition. Teams like Hawthorn and Sydney have typically not done well in pre season because they haven't been concerned with the result. I know it's frustrating to see us lose by 50+ points but you only have to look at the difference in intensity when the season proper starts, how can you draw conclusions from a game that is played at about 50% less intensity?

The big positive for me was the fact that the kids I wanted to show something all showed something. Marchbank was terrific, Fisher will play quite a bit this year, Pickett was good with very little opportunity, and Charlie is coming along very nicely.

Unfortunately our midfield is paper thin at the moment, no Cripps and murphy not playing in the midfield meant that we only had Gibbs as our only genuine quality in there and he was just coasting along (which doesn't concern me in pre season). I think we will play very competitively in our final pre season game and hit the ground running in round 1 to hopefully get a win against the Tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the worst part for me about the weekend was there's a hype train for a lot of "rebuilding" teams now - Melbourne, St. Kilda, North, Essendon some what. We aren't apart of that discussion. It's like the whole world doesn't think we have a decent kid besides Cripps. I really wanted a few to SHINE...didn't really see that. Besides Marchbank.

Those teams are 3-4 years ahead of us at least. We are not even close to being in the same category in terms of our rebuild compared to st kilda and Melbourne. Take Melbourne for instance kids like Petracca, hogan, brayshaw Viney, harmes, stretch, hunt, vandenberg, Tyson and Salem are all 21+ so have had numerous pre-seasons under there belt with a stable coaching system(Roos & Goodwin).
Carlton on the other changed our whole club and coaching structure before last season and our bracket of kids we are banking on are mostly 18-21. We largely missed kids in that 21-24 window through pethetic drafting. Its through maybe clever trading that we have picked up guys in this bracket(marchbank, plowman, pickett, kerridge, docherty and Phillips). So don't panic mate, expectations arnt too high this year.

We are behind Melbourne & Stkilda in development, probably 2-3 years behind them. Essendon i am still not convinced are any good.

Bolton has stated the last game will be a strong team in preparation for round 1.

We've actually had a pretty horrible pre-season draw.

Firstly, we were only 1 of 2 teams (with Freo) not to play in week 1, but then had to play in week 2 against a team that did, meaning Melbourne and WC had noticeably more run and took the game more seriously.

Melbourne, under a new coach, seemed determined to win and were basically playing the way they plan to in the season proper...they didn't really experiment a whole lot, more just put their gameplan into practice...again contributing to the large margin.

Then we have to travel in the last game to Freo where we want to field a strong team, which isn't ideal.

We're about 5 midfielders short of a midfield.
6 once Gibbs leaves at the end of season

While I was in favour of a Gibbs trade during the recent trade period, I didn't think this was still an option anymore. Or are some still pushing it?

My brother just called me from on the road saying that Dermie was on SEN. Said he hadn't seen the game but heard from a dees player that played against us on the weekend that we were the most disorganised team this player had ever seen.

Now I didn't hear Dermie, but I watched the game and counted around 9 players that hadn't played or had played very little for the navy blues. That's over a 3rd of the team! We rotated players differently and, from Bolton himself after the game, we tried new things and played players out of position. Why is 1 loss in a scratch match becoming an issue? It's always disappointing losing a game no matter when we play, but Cunningham, C.Curnow, McKay, Marchbank, Smedts, LeBois, Pickett, Fisher, Palmer etc have (mostly) never played a game with us!

I also heard myself this morning Garry Lyon and Tim Watson talking about our season ahead. Watson thinks we will be ok recruiting kids for the future but we will finish 17th. Garry on the other hand had nothing nice to say. He thinks our bookends aren't great (doesn't think Plowman will play 200 games and doesn't seem sold on Marchbank) and thinks we are well behind the dees (which really we are considering they've been rebuilding for about 7 years)! Just amazed at all the negativity. Yes, our list is young but it isn't poor. It's going to take time to get the kids where we need them. Also, it was funny to hear Lyon saying that SOS recruited Jacksh to the blues! If you want to hear a true perspective on our list, listen to the Carlton Club podcast. Lyon has hated the blues for a while. We are on the right track and have some great bookends for once! And yes plowman will play 200 games. As will Marchbank and weitering. And that backline will keep us in good stead for the next 10 years.
C.Curnow, McKay, Silvagni and co will be fine for the next 10 years up forward. We just need another 5 Cripps' and 5 Judd's!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back