Game Day JLT Community Series - Carlton v Melbourne Game Day Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Really wanking each other off over there on the Melbourne board in their post match reveiw. No consideration for time on ground, rotations, 9 new players at Carlton or players out of position v the near best they can put on the park in their preferred positions plus 8 rotations. They might get a little too ahead of themselves just like when they beat hawthorn last year, found a mathematical chance to finals and then got belted by Cripps and Gibbs he following week. Lol.

Going off previous experience, you know you're in for an underwhelming year when you're getting talked up from pre season wins. I'm more than happy for us to fly under the radar and away from the noise of the media.

I don't wanna seem overly negative but

images
Snap out of it

Really wanking each other off over there on the Melbourne board in their post match reveiw. No consideration for time on ground, rotations, 9 new players at Carlton or players out of position v the near best they can put on the park in their preferred positions plus 8 rotations. They might get a little too ahead of themselves just like when they beat hawthorn last year, found a mathematical chance to finals and then got belted by Cripps and Gibbs he following week. Lol.

We will be the worst oppo they'll play before round one.

They still have weaknesses and I'm not convinced they'll make the 8.

Really don't get the negativity. So many good signs from our youth. Fisher impressed me the most, his intensity and attack of the footy is already A grade. That's a solid foundation to work on. I seem to be the only one who was hoping for a spanking. Woudnt want bolts to reveal his cards that he has desperately been hiding for months now on the first practice match.

We are in the exact position we want to be heading into round 1... underrated by all. Tiges won't know what will hit them round one ;)
i wouldn't say negativity is the right word, but i'd certainy say it was sobering.

The bulldogs last year changed the game to where now midfield depth is king. We have some nice pieces but the good sides bat 8-10 deep in there. melbourne have built a nice deep midfield and it shows us where we need to be and most of the sides looking to do so have done the same (richmond, st kilda, west coast, melbourne). we look at our list and our midfielders 1-3 are good, but 4-10 are despicably bad right now. when murphy gibbs and cripps are in there we'll go toe toe with sides for a distance but the second they're resting, our midfield will get annihilated. our defense will keep games close but realistically we're looking at <5 wins this year. We were all expecting it, but it's pretty deflating to see hard evidence of it in february. it's like working your ass off climbing up everest and you find a place to stop a catch your breath to realize you're only at base camp.

i wouldn't say negativity is the right word, but i'd certainy say it was sobering.

The bulldogs last year changed the game to where now midfield depth is king. We have some nice pieces but the good sides bat 8-10 deep in there. melbourne have built a nice deep midfield and it shows us where we need to be and most of the sides looking to do so have done the same (richmond, st kilda, west coast, melbourne). we look at our list and our midfielders 1-3 are good, but 4-10 are despicably bad right now. when murphy gibbs and cripps are in there we'll go toe toe with sides for a distance but the second they're resting, our midfield will get annihilated. our defense will keep games close but realistically we're looking at <5 wins this year. We were all expecting it, but it's pretty deflating to see hard evidence of it in february. it's like working your ass off climbing up everest and you find a place to stop a catch your breath to realize you're only at base camp.

How do you know?

We will be the worst oppo they'll play before round one.

They still have weaknesses and I'm not convinced they'll make the 8.
They can be defensively lax as a team, but they have quality defenders and a lot of firepower to play with. If they're psychologically up for the full-season grind, they should be in the bottom half of the 8 at the end of the year.

i think little fish might quickly become a big fish...
great combination of decision making, speed of disposal and hustle!

Dont agree with the decision making part here. Still have a lot of dumb footballers running around for us. To boltons credit and Mick a little bit they have tried to refine our list and get rid of these guys (cachia, ellard, Joseph, Robinson, bootsma, bower,) to name a few.
Even now thou I see Buckley, kerridge, Rowe, curnow, white, casboult as guys who make shocking decisions with the footy. Ed has and is continuing to improve on this thou.
What elite kicks/decision makers do we have do you think?

This is the same Melbourne midfield Gibbs Cripps and Kruz, have ripped apart the last two home and away games we've played against them.
Melbourne had many advantages on the day and they were clearly taking the hit out pretty seriously, we looked like we were playing a warm up game and just giving players a run.
For all Melbournes elite inside midfield talent, they still only just beat us in the clearances 35-30 and the contested ball was pretty close too 129-119, add Cripps and I dare say we would of had them covered in those departments.

Cripps Gibbs and Murphy are a pretty awesome combo, really hoping SPS can step up and become that other young A grade midfield talent.
I watched the Crows midfield really struggle against the tigers, take out Sloane and Brad Crouch and there midfield is pretty light on to.
Most AFL midfields will struggle if you take out 1-2 of the absolute stars.

They can be defensively lax as a team, but they have quality defenders and a lot of firepower to play with. If they're psychologically up for the full-season grind, they should be in the bottom half of the 8 at the end of the year.

Also need to see if the Dees brand of footy can stand up at Etihad, they have the worst record at that ground, something like 2-3 wins from last 25 games at that ground IIRC.
They really seem to struggle to play that ground.

Dont agree with the decision making part here. Still have a lot of dumb footballers running around for us. To boltons credit and Mick a little bit they have tried to refine our list and get rid of these guys (cachia, ellard, Joseph, Robinson, bootsma, bower,) to name a few.
Even now thou I see Buckley, kerridge, Rowe, curnow, white, casboult as guys who make shocking decisions with the footy. Ed has and is continuing to improve on this thou.
I think he was talking about Fisher.

I think you completely missed what he was saying in regards to "little fish", he wasn't talking about the entire list.

I agree we are still 3-4 years away from being a genuine challenger. Are people surprised at this?

The positive I see is that we WILL be a challenger in 3-4 years. The talent is there and there is more coming. It is just we are at the start of the development cycle.

Nothing has changed for me. The next two years I want to see the kids play and get experience. It will be a roller coaster but if we focus on the future we will be fine.

Look at this group. Weitering Cripps Marchbank Docherty Charlie SPS Fisher Silvagni Polson Cuningham McKay Plowman Macreadie Williamson Lebois Pickett and that is a very talented core to build on. Just need to keep building and adding talent. I am sure SOS & Bolton can do it

While I hope this to be true, we've seen close to nothing on 9 of the 16 listed above. That's a big IF.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seem to be the only one who was hoping for a spanking.
I think you may well have been. I know when I tuned in I wasn't thinking to myself "Gee, I really hope Carlton cop a 50+ point thumping today".

There were heaps of positives though when you look at some of the performances of the younger guys.

Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs, Fisher, SPS, C.Curnow, Cuningham...

Now that I've seen Charlie and fisher play on the ball, I'm pretty confident we have some pretty good talent in the middle, just up to the coaches to get them all playing close to their best ASAP.

Plus you throw in the extra rotations from Ed, Palmer and Smedts, depending on whether Bolton can get the best out of these guys, then we are going to be a lot better this year than last.

I really like Melbourne's list, they will be underachieving if they don't make finals this year (injuries permitting). They have a lot of quality coming through and lots to be excited about. They need a killer instinct, as you alluded to, if they are to go anywhere (as do we) but the talent is there.

They've spent 10 years building their list (it only took us 7 to get back in the finals after 2002 & that was with draft penalties to impede us). They should be the best team in the competition, yet, as we saw late last season, they are still mentally soft.

Really don't get the negativity. So many good signs from our youth. Fisher impressed me the most, his intensity and attack of the footy is already A grade. That's a solid foundation to work on. I seem to be the only one who was hoping for a spanking. Woudnt want bolts to reveal his cards that he has desperately been hiding for months now on the first practice match.

We are in the exact position we want to be heading into round 1... underrated by all. Tiges won't know what will hit them round one
Cue "Only The Lonely" by Roy Orbison...

They will never be a contender whilst the McDonald boys butcher the ball everytime they have it in there hands.

Yep. They might have a good list but they are the Melbourne football club so they are a bit pathetic too.
Lol so true!

I just don't see any dominant player in the middle for them. They have really good players in Viney, Tyson, Oliver, Jones, Brayshaw and Lewis, but tell me which one of these players is unstoppable like a Cripps, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Kennedy, Pendlebury, Ablett, Bont, and I believe in 2017 C.Curnow..

Melbourne's only dominant players are Gawn, Petracca and Hogan but for some reason Gawn can't dominate against Kruezer so I think we will monster their midfield.

Lol so true!

I just don't see any dominant player in the middle for them. They have really good players in Viney, Tyson, Oliver, Jones, Brayshaw and Lewis, but tell me which one of these players is unstoppable like a Cripps, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Kennedy, Pendlebury, Ablett, Bont, and I believe in 2017 C.Curnow..

Melbourne's only dominant players are Gawn, Petracca and Hogan but for some reason Gawn can't dominate against Kruezer so I think we will monster their midfield.

Petracca will be that player. Also Viney and Oliver could become as good as any of Hawthorns midfielders were.
They were very organised and although it was only a practice match it was hard not to be impressed. I think they'll end up 7 or 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back