Preview JLT Community Series - Carlton v St Kilda Gameday Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really looking forward to a midfield of inexperience and seeing how they handle themselves. Who stands. Because only in the face of great adversity will these special players show fight and stand up and be noticed. Players like cuningham, graham, boekhurst, Charlie, summer, lamb, smedts, fisher, polson, Williamson will probably be the starters + rotations for Saturday. I'm aware we will get smashed if saints play near their best team. BUT, it'll be entertaining watching the ball movement and speed out of the contest. They might surprise everyone.

Going into this one behind enemy lines with a bunch of saint supporting mates. I have managed, however, to convince my essndope friend to sport the Carlton scarf I bought to initiate my unenthused partner as a blue girl. Also thanks ShanDog for the help with last week I managed to catch the game on an iPhone. What an age !... of integrity killing entitlement....

Going into this one behind enemy lines with a bunch of saint supporting mates. I have managed, however, to convince my essndope friend to sport the Carlton scarf I bought to initiate my unenthused partner as a blue girl. Also thanks ShanDog for the help with last week I managed to catch the game on an iPhone. What an age !... of integrity killing entitlement....
Get a few early rounds off your Saints mates and dont pay them back when they roll us...!

A lot of people have indicated the result wont matter re:JLT V Saints and i tend to agree.
Would be good to see a few more 1st year draftees in that case ,especially Williamson,Polson,Mc Creadie....a lot of hope and speculation on these.Should see return of Lebois,Fisher etc....so it will be a show day in that regard.
I would though play our best players with them for two reasons.eg.Murphy needs game time,Gibbs ok to play.
-make the game more competitive boosting memberships and general interest.
-give the youngsters a better example and lift them up high early,generating better play by example.....if we play our B graders and rest the best players it will be a joke.

Could defs use Murphy in the midfield for this one. The young'uns need an on-field coach out there, let's see how much his leadership has really grown.

While i trust Bolts and can see that the obvious benefit in loading up with kids is giving them all some exposure and also seeing who can rise to the occasion, i personally would prefer we didn't.

You see it all the time with the stronger teams, where they inject young kids into the team in relatively low number at a time, meaning they have got a lot of experienced players and a strong structure around them...this in turn makes the kids job so much easier in just 'playing their role' in a clear, defined structure and just getting some disposals.

The way we're going against St Kilda, it's really going to be a sink or swim environment. With so many new faces the structure will likely get lost and being unorganised will make it harder on every player, which is super tough for a young kid. I can see us doing a lot of chasing and running around like headless chooks unfortunately.

Speaking of the 'stronger' teams, Sydney put out a team in week 1 with 19 players who have played less than 40 AFL games...including 9 who are yet to make their senior debut.

They have always treated the preseason matches as an opportunity to give the younger players a run - often resulting in massive losses - but it's had no negative effect on their preparation for or performance during the real stuff.

Obviously fielding such a young and inexperienced side can be a disaster short-term if it's done in the H&A season - see GWS in their first year or two - but there's virtually no downside to fielding an inexperienced side in a practice match.

I'm really looking forward to a midfield of inexperience and seeing how they handle themselves. Who stands. Because only in the face of great adversity will these special players show fight and stand up and be noticed. Players like cuningham, graham, boekhurst, Charlie, summer, lamb, smedts, fisher, polson, Williamson will probably be the starters + rotations for Saturday. I'm aware we will get smashed if saints play near their best team. BUT, it'll be entertaining watching the ball movement and speed out of the contest. They might surprise everyone.

Agreed

I particularly want to see Fisher, Polson and SPS together, have a feeling this might be a resilient little group for us.
Cuningham too.

Can anyone explain about tickets for this game on Saturday,the club is saying it's free for members,but you have to get a ticket to prevent getting locked out?
Gone on to ticketmaster entered my barcode and they want to charge me $7.95 for general admission????
It;s not the money that's bothering me,why do members have to pay???

A lot of people have indicated the result wont matter re:JLT V Saints and i tend to agree.
Would be good to see a few more 1st year draftees in that case ,especially Williamson,Polson,Mc Creadie....a lot of hope and speculation on these.Should see return of Lebois,Fisher etc....so it will be a show day in that regard.
I would though play our best players with them for two reasons.eg.Murphy needs game time,Gibbs ok to play.
-make the game more competitive boosting memberships and general interest.
-give the youngsters a better example and lift them up high early,generating better play by example.....if we play our B graders and rest the best players it will be a joke.
Agreed. I think there would be a good balance to find in regards to the mix of young bloods and seniors. Part of me thinks that the youngens need seniors to get a bit dirty to feed them the ball and get them into the game to build confidence. The other part thinks maybe a centre square lineup of only youth would force them into winning their own ball, potentially fast tracking their confidence/development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone explain about tickets for this game on Saturday,the club is saying it's free for members,but you have to get a ticket to prevent getting locked out?
Gone on to ticketmaster entered my barcode and they want to charge me $7.95 for general admission????
It;s not the money that's bothering me,why do members have to pay???

It is free for members.

Seeing as it's going to be a nice day against Melbourne-based opposition, they're simply saying that if you want to ensure entry (remember the women's opener?) then purchase a $5 GA ticket.

Speaking of the 'stronger' teams, Sydney put out a team in week 1 with 19 players who have played less than 40 AFL games...including 9 who are yet to make their senior debut.

They have always treated the preseason matches as an opportunity to give the younger players a run - often resulting in massive losses - but it's had no negative effect on their preparation for or performance during the real stuff.

Obviously fielding such a young and inexperienced side can be a disaster short-term if it's done in the H&A season - see GWS in their first year or two - but there's virtually no downside to fielding an inexperienced side in a practice match.

Kids just need to be played and that will cost us a few wins. We are where the Bulldogs were 6-7 years ago, where St Kilda & Demons were 3-5 years ago. We need patience and we need to play and develop the kids. Every player will be different. At worst we need to see if they are up to it. Some will thrive on more games, some will benefit from 8-10 games this year. Be up to Bolts and Co to get it right

If Marchbank, Charlie and Fish can build on what they showed last week, and one or both of SPS/Polson get a run then it'll be worth attending for me.

Also to see Weiters kick a bag...

If Marchbank, Charlie and Fish can build on what they showed last week, and one or both of SPS/Polson get a run then it'll be worth attending for me.

Also to see Weiters kick a bag...
Williamson ended up having the most promising preseason of the bunch....utterly mobile type with plenty of pace and a leap.A good athlete with limited football exposure.....if his skill set can boom he will be a lock in the future.ps SPS already a lock.

watch this space.

I think they are called Bolton figurines.
5328aa9182932aa03beb1e6073e6694c.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back