Game Day JLT Community Series - Game 1, 2019: GWS Giants v Sydney (Opposition welcome)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic 2 days of footy at Blacktown ahead with both Men and Women playing across both days

Exciting to see the draftees and a fantastic battle through the middle with Cogs, Whitfield against Heeney and Mills

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-03-01/match-preview-jlt-community-series-v-swans

Greater Western Sydney v Sydney at Blacktown, 7.10pm AEDT

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B: M.Buntine 21, S.Taylor 15, H.Perryman 36
HB: H.Shaw 23, J.Finlayson 31, L.Keeffe 25
C: S.Reid 50, C.Ward 8, M.de Boer 24
HF: H.Himmelberg 27, J.Cameron 18, A.Bonar 10
F: J.Caldwell 5, M.Flynn 30, D.Lloyd 38
Foll: D.Simpson 26, S.Coniglio 3, L.Whitfield 6
I/C: P.Davis 1, J.Hately 9, I.Cumming 13, B.Deledio 7, Z.Williams 29, A.Kennedy 40, B.Daniels 16, T.Taranto 14,

Emerg: J.Stein 42, Z.Sproule 28, N.Shipley 34, C.Idun 39

Notable absentees: Josh Kelly, Jacob Hopper, Toby Greene, Jonathon Patton, Adam Tomlinson, Nick Haynes

SYDNEY

B: D.Rampe 24, L.Melican 43, A.Aliir 36
HB: J.Thurlow 6, H.Grundy 39, J.Lloyd 44
C: H.Cunningham 7, J.Kennedy 12, J.Dawson 34
HF: L.Parker 26, S.Reid 20, G.Hewett 29
F: B.Ronke 25, W.Hayward 9, T.Papley 11
Foll: C.Sinclair 18, I.Heeney 5, C.Mills 14
I/C: C.O'Riordan 38, R.Fox 42, T.Pink 47, R.Clarke 4, J.Rowbottom 8, N.Blakey 22, O.Florent 13, J.McInerney 27

Emerg: J.Rose 1, R.Stoddart 33, J.Bell 32, S.Wicks 45

Notable absentees: Nick Smith, Lance Franklin, Jarrad McVeigh, Kieren Jack, Zak Jones, Tom McCartin

Matthew Nick's and Matt De Boer have the keys to the Ferrari tonight. Just bring it back with no dents and it's all good guys.

Both teams tone down the aggro for *s sake, it's a practice game.

I'll be watching to see how the guys l8ok in the new season.

:thumbsu: for the OP BTW. Someone needs to care.

Could be posted on the MB as well if you were so inclined. Mods will probably pin it if you do.

Looking forward to the first semi real game for most of the best 22, I can see 4 spots up for grabs so a few with a lot to play for with I think 2 bench spots and then a possible in for Haynes and Langdon.
I am hoping Perryman and Cumming have significant game time as I think the club needs them to take a step towards best 22 for their careers

So, great to see the footy back, even in a pre-season capacity. To be honest, the number one outcome I'm looking from today's game is no injuries, and after that, just to see the cobwebs blown out. Win or lose, as long as we don't look like absolute rabble, it's mainly about the players getting out there. Of course, for a small number of players, it is about trying to win a spot in the round 1 team, so excited to see what Jye Caldwell & Jackson Hately bring.

I'm certainly in the camp which has believed that there's likely just 2 spots (injuries notwithstanding) up for grabs. The question marks for me have been Taylor v Corr, Tomlinson's role in the side (back, wing or even third tall/relief ruck), and a resting mid/forward position.

In the backs: We haven't seen Corr to date, and he still seems to be suffering some groin issues. Haynes too has been having back problems, which in combination with Corr's issues may open the day a smidge for someone such as Buntine or perhaps Keeffe. I guess I'm hopeful that Haynes is OK for round 1, in which case I'd see the backline as Davis, Taylor, Haynes, Tomlinson, Shaw, Williams & Kennedy, so preseason is just about the backups (Buntine, Keeffe, Cumming) finding form and putting pressure on.

Mids. The mids pick themselves (Cogs, Kelly, Ward, Whitfield, Deledio, Hopper, Taranto) so today's just a runaround to clear out the cobwebs.

Forwards. This is the area of main question for me. Cameron, HH, Greene (who seems on course for round 1) & de Boer pick themselves. Third tall / relief ruck, resting mid, and now another small forward all give Bonar, Flynn, Caldwell, Hately, Reid and Lloyd something to play for.

P.S. Damn internet playing up, had to switch to my phone to post this!

Cogs, Williams had it on a string in the 1st

Great 1st qtr by the boys - look sharp

Perryman on the wing looked good creating chances running forward

Taranto looks like a tank

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems that we escaped with no injuries - Zac Williams had some concern with a heavy landing hurting his knee but appears to have shrugged it off. No 1 goal achieved.

We also blew some cobwebs out pretty well. Some good ball movement and leg speed, and smart work in both the midfield and defence at times. No 2 goal covered.

Cogs starting the year in fantastic form - goals, tackles, contested possessions. Mr Reliable. Tim Taranto too showed plenty and appears ready to step up this year. Jezza did plenty of work, albeit his radar is off target kicking for goal. Heater looked pretty solid and hopefully will have a great year.

Lachie & Zac looked slick again and really provided some run and drive from the back at times. Kenners was his usual reliable self - shows how we missed him first half of last year. Cumming looked pretty good with limited time - I don't know why he got so few minutes?

Lloyd put up a good audition for the vacant small forward position. Daniels had some good flashes but not as good as Lloyd for mine. Perryman another who kept his name in the frame with some good work.

Caldwell slick at times, and I think keeps his chances alive for a debut in round 1. Hately not bad either - perhaps a safer player than Jye but also less dangerous in an attacking sense? Interesting to see the team for next week - happy if they get another audition and I can see them live in Canberra.

Overall, happy with that hitout. On to JLT No 2 next week.

Some random thoughts as they come to me....

Enjoyed that. Some nice ball movement at various points. Some silky skills and some shockers (pre-season, nothing to worry about.)

Liked the look of Hately and Caldwell - Caldwell reminds me a bit of Tim Taranto actually.

Matt Flynn did some nice things, but then got bumped out of a marking contest by a midget. But then again, he’s still only 21 and despite being around the club for what feels like years (he has) he’s still only 21 - big men don’t come on that quickly (apart from a couple) so there’s actually still plenty of time.

Liked the look of Lids, looked class when he was on.

Cummings was good when he was on.

Liked Jezza’s game - deserved his pie tonight.

Lloyd is getting better.

You know it’s pre-season and doesn’t mean much when Philthy kicks a goal.:oops:

F##k but Cogs is good and Taranto will step up this year.

Liked Perryman’s game early, didn’t see much from him later not sure if he was rested or just faded out of the game.

All in all, not bad, but it is what it is and we’ll move on from here. Looking forward to the season proper.

Hey fellas. Was at the game and boy did Z.Williams blitz the first half. He was abuzz with energy and everywhere. Looking forward to seeing more of him this year. Not sure what happened in the second half but they seemed to shift Zac to half forward for a bit where he barely touched it, and then benched him. I imagine that's just JLT for you though...

Cogs and Taranto dominated the Swans midfield making them looks second rate.

Hadn't heard of Caldwell before but he was lively up forward, had a great second half.

Some great signs for 2019.

Cheers, thanks for that - always useful to get a report from someone who saw it live, always a better perspective. Really hope we can keep the best team on the park this year; we can certainly give it a real shake if so.

Some random thoughts as they come to me....

Enjoyed that. Some nice ball movement at various points. Some silky skills and some shockers (pre-season, nothing to worry about.)

Liked the look of Hately and Caldwell - Caldwell reminds me a bit of Tim Taranto actually.

Matt Flynn did some nice things, but then got bumped out of a marking contest by a midget. But then again, he’s still only 21 and despite being around the club for what feels like years (he has) he’s still only 21 - big men don’t come on that quickly (apart from a couple) so there’s actually still plenty of time.

Liked the look of Lids, looked class when he was on.

Cummings was good when he was on.

Liked Jezza’s game - deserved his pie tonight.

Lloyd is getting better.

You know it’s pre-season and doesn’t mean much when Philthy kicks a goal.:oops:

F##k but Cogs is good and Taranto will step up this year.

Liked Perryman’s game early, didn’t see much from him later not sure if he was rested or just faded out of the game.

All in all, not bad, but it is what it is and we’ll move on from here. Looking forward to the season proper.
Cumming will be AA this year, bookmark it. Otherwise pretty much what you said. I saw the bum on Flynn and he was pissed with himself after it which I liked.

What do I take out of this weekend?

That Caldwell and Hately are two very good selections and if you watched the debuts of Butters and Clark (the two other kids we were heavily linked with at the draft) you can see why we have one of the best of not the best recruitment manager’s in the game in Adrian Caruso.

Swallow doesn’t make a summer but if you add to what he has brought in over the last few years the bloke is a gun. Such a shame we didn’t have him instead of the Carlton insider all those years...

Pardon the intrusion. Jye Caldwell was awesome last night. I would’ve loved to have him at the Saints.

What are the chances of him playing Rd 1??

Pardon the intrusion. Jye Caldwell was awesome last night. I would’ve loved to have him at the Saints.

What are the chances of him playing Rd 1??
Mathew Nicks was pouring cold water on the idea in the post game presser. The dogs are barking our intention to use Taranto and Perryman stepping into the mid rotations. Bonar spent a fair bit of time after the first QTR as a primary ckearance mid as well, indicating we are least looking at him.

He is an excellent prospect, but we're really not in a place to prioritise future development by getting games into teenagers. Our time to contend is now.
An aoorenticeshio in the NEAFL until he forces his way in I think. It'll happen at some point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back