Review JLT Community Series | Game 1 | NM vs Sydney - Postmatch Discussion & Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Jmac was rubbish. Watch the game again. It's only a pre-season game sure, but the acceptance and ridiculous excuses for so-called leaders is a concern.

He wasn't his usual assured, confident best, but do you think there might be a reason for that? Instead of just saying "yeah he was atrocious, rubbish, couldn't kick over a jam tin, is his left foot painted on", might we question why he was that way? We've seen him produce excellent football over a consistent period so we know that it's not because he's a garbage footballer.

Might it just be that because he was clearly the most experienced player in our backline, marshalling Durdin, Vickers-Willis, Williams, McDonald, Taylor and Hibberd, covering extra ground to cover for those players and attempting to get up the ground and be an option in the midfield AND cover his direct opponent defensively? Which, covering all those extra kilometres, might just contribute to fatigue and exhaustion, especially in the first match of a gruelling pre-season in humid and sticky conditions, and could potentially lead to poor disposal?

He wasn't his usual assured, confident best, but do you think there might be a reason for that? Instead of just saying "yeah he was atrocious, rubbish, couldn't kick over a jam tin, is his left foot painted on", might we question why he was that way? We've seen him produce excellent football over a consistent period so we know that it's not because he's a garbage footballer.

Might it just be that because he was clearly the most experienced player in our backline, marshalling Durdin, Vickers-Willis, Williams, McDonald, Taylor and Hibberd, covering extra ground to cover for those players and attempting to get up the ground and be an option in the midfield AND cover his direct opponent defensively? Which, covering all those extra kilometres, might just contribute to fatigue and exhaustion, especially in the first match of a gruelling pre-season in humid and sticky conditions, and could potentially lead to poor disposal?

Nope. He's a spud. End of.

I'm not as big a JMac fan as most are on here but his errors are (imo) a result of doing a sh1tload of work. Covers a heap of ground.

That AFL.com match report is terrible. Basically says we won thanks to the likes of Blakey, Martyn etc.

The AFL match report pumps up the Swan's ruckman that got absolutely pantsed by Pruess. Pruess not even mentioned. Talk about your usual tripe Journalism from AFL.com.au.

Also loved the how composed Florent comment was. I think his first few posessions were smothered. Kid looks good, but to say he showed composure was absolute dogs balls.

Nope. He's a spud. End of.

No, but he played like one today. We need elite standards from our leadership group (of which he is) to be winning a premiership.

Can't have such terrible/ordinary players setting the standard and expect to be the best.

No, but he played like one today. We need elite standards from our leadership group (of which he is) to be winning a premiership.

Can't have such terrible/ordinary players setting the standard and expect to be the best.

Are you planning on responding to my post or are you just going to continue to say J-Mac had a shocker and not offer up any reasoning as to why?

Are you planning on responding to my post or are you just going to continue to say J-Mac had a shocker and not offer up any reasoning as to why?

I'm planning on ignoring your post as JMac was rubbish and I don't agree with your excuses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive always considered Macmillan to be a jack of all trades, but a master of none.

His best qualities are his knowledge of everyone's role and his running capacity.

He's a meat and potatoes footballer and sits right in the middle of the Hard/Fast/Skillful matrix (TM ArjenTheGreat)

Jmac was rubbish. Watch the game again Devington. It's only a pre-season game sure, but the acceptance and ridiculous excuses for so-called leaders is a concern.

No wonder we haven't won anything for near 2 decades with such an attitude.

I listened to some of the game on SEN and they were giving him a wrap; the AFL website has him in the best players and the Age names him first in North's best, so not everybody thinks he was rubbish

A few posters bemoaned Durdin dropping a marking opportunity in the fourth. Yes they should be taken but conditions look quite slippery, which gives even greater credit to McKay's mark in the last.

Instead of dwelling on the negative of Durdin dropping the mark, how about flipping it and taking a positive slant. He's reading the play quickly and getting in the right positions to be in a marking situation. A very important facet of a tall defender's makeup.
You sonud like a friend or family member, but yes youre right !!:thumbsu:

EVW - Outstanding, close to BOG. Should be a lock for Rnd 1

Durdin - Far more comfortable at CHB, reads the play extremely well there, we should be pumping 22 games into him this year

Hrovat - Took a half to get right into it, but just oozes class and smarts, going to be very important this year.

Wood - Was in and out of the game I thought, was OK for his half.

McKay - Will be better for the run, clearly getting used to speed of the game, look forward to seeing him against Hawthorn.

Preuss - Excellent, quality backup now, feel sorry for the VFL ruckman.

Taylor and Watson showed a bit, Watson's willingness to run for a link up possession was impressive, given that won't be his role at AFL level, was good to see none the less.

Clarke - just so much poise for a young player.

I'd like to see a full game from Mountford next week.

Thought some of the older blokes were petty poor today, Swallow and Gibson namely.

I can't add much more to what has already been written, but I thought I'll give a special roast to the entire commentary of the match.

Stupid comments such as VW not being good at one on ones, their over-potting of McKay and the commentators (especially the boundary knobs in Lake and Dixon) were negative on a lot of our better efforts/plays (some of it was warranted, but most of the negativity wasn't).

Last edited:
Wood didn't excite me as much as he could've.

Very fumbly and didn't hold many marks.
Thought he was down defensively as well at times, but he will be better for the run, far from our worst out there.

I believe we want JMac playing on the......

upload_2017-2-19_18-34-31.jpeg
Not sure anyone could have a reason to be dissatisfied with today's efforts? I thought we hunted the ball carrier and made it hard for Sydney to find space and opened them up the other way.

Also added bonus was Sam Durdin- did well.

I believe we want JMac playing on the......

View attachment 338093
Not sure anyone could have a reason to be dissatisfied with today's efforts? I thought we hunted the ball carrier and made it hard for Sydney to find space and opened them up the other way.

Also added bonus was Sam Durdin- did well.
Player positives are the icing on the cake that is a slow burning win over South Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back