Review JLT Community Series game 2 - GWS V Sydney @ Blacktown

First of many Friday nights even though it's only a pre season game.

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes starting this - If so please delete

INS: Buddy Rampe & Naismith

Great to get games into these guys at this stage so they are ready round 1

Unsure who else but if the likes of Grundy Allir McVeigh don't come in then only one more opportunity.

Shame we are meeting GWS in the pre season IMO as I feel a return match after last years final loss would have had some spice in the regular season (Probably still will)

Anyway it's only pre season but exciting nonetheless.

Many here heading there to watch live?

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
hopefully leonardis gets a go. maybe ronke and dawson if they are fit. i also think melican and newman did enough to be persisted with.

SlingshotFooty

Team Captain
May 30, 2015
Folsom, CA
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kansas State, KC Chiefs & Royals
It'll be a good measure of our kids against the thousands of GWS draft picks...not an exaggeration!

Wonder how seriously we will take this match.

We didn't shy away in the 1st game vs North.

I think it'll be similar, our younger guys will go flat out with places up for grabs whilst the older ones are just blowing out some cobwebs.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
No injuries, no suspensions, good signs from some newbies and improvement from Reid as he finds his feet would suit me. Very keen to see how Reid and Buddy set up, how the younger guys do in the midfield and how KJ does playing forward. Bugger the score. Let's give them false confidence then belt them in the season proper.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
First of many Friday nights even though it's only a pre season game.

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes starting this - If so please delete

INS: Buddy Rampe & Naismith

Great to get games into these guys at this stage so they are ready round 1

Unsure who else but if the likes of Grundy Allir McVeigh don't come in then only one more opportunity.

Shame we are meeting GWS in the pre season IMO as I feel a return match after last years final loss would have had some spice in the regular season (Probably still will)

Anyway it's only pre season but exciting nonetheless.

Many here heading there to watch live?
Kizza was mentioned as an IN. Aliir, Sinclair and/or Towers may also be possible

Last edited:
SYDNEY
4. Daniel Hannebery, 6. Jordan Foote, 7. Harry Cunningham, 8. Kurt Tippett, 9. Will Hayward, 10. Zak Jones, 11. Jeremy Laidler, 12. Josh Kennedy, 13. Oliver Florent, 14. Callum Mills, 17. Darcy Cameron, 18. Callum Sinclair, 20. Sam Reid, 21. Jack Maibaum, 22. Dean Towers, 23. Lance Franklin, 24. Dane Rampe, 26. Luke Parker, 27. Daniel Robinson, 28. Nic Newman, 29. George Hewett, 31. Harrison Marsh, 35. Sam Naismith, 38. Colin O'Riordan, 39. Heath Grundy, 40. Nick Smith, 42. Robbie Fox, 43. Lewis Melican, 44. Jake Lloyd

Notable absentees: Aliir Aliir, Shaun Edwards, Isaac Heeney, Kieren Jack, Jarrad McVeigh, Tom Papley, Gary Rohan, James Rose, Michael Talia

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-01/jlt-giants-v-swans-stevie-j-returns-swans-name-buddy

Hoping Leonardis and Dawson get a run next week

I reckon James Rose will have a breakout season for the Swans this year. With McGlynn retiring and Heeney likely to see more midfield time there's a spot on the half forward flank and even though Rose played five games last season he was quite impressive averaging 5 marks and 5 tackles. Nearly half of his possessions are contested. He has the talent to make it and this year he could kick over 20+ goals and become a best 22 player.

JLT-3-TEAM-WEB.jpg

In: Davis, Coniglio, Greene, Shiel, Ward, Scully, Smith, Johnson, Cameron, Haynes, Shaw, Griffen, A.Kennedy, Mumford
Out: Isaac Cumming, Tendai Mzungu, Zach Sproule, Matthew Flynn, Jeremy Finlayson, Lachie Tiziani, Tim Mohr, Tom Downie, Sam Reid

I reckon James Rose will have a breakout season for the Swans this year. With McGlynn retiring and Heeney likely to see more midfield time there's a spot on the half forward flank and even though Rose played five games last season he was quite impressive averaging 5 marks and 5 tackles. Nearly half of his possessions are contested. He has the talent to make it and this year he could kick over 20+ goals and become a best 22 player.

I don't see it myself. Someone else posted on here a while ago that Rose was like an almost player. He does some good things but nothing others couldn't do and at a more regular consistency.

Is that the final line-up or will a few miss out?

I would like to have seen Edwards and Heeney get another game. Heeney's a machine and it wouldn't surprise me if they were managing him against the filthiest side in the comp, and Edwards is a mature recruit but they're both at the stage where they need as much pre-season practice as possible. Especially because I can see them both playing important roles for us this season. Not concerned about Kizza, he could miss a whole year and come back as good as gold.

Back