JLT Community Series (preseason matches)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I thought he got better as the game went on. That's a tough one with round 1.
I thought Vardy was excellent and liked what I seen of him aswell.

With Lycett back come rnd 1 we have four rucks to choose from. Lycett, Vardy, Petrie and Giles aswell but to me his last in the pecking order.

Petrie would be dieing to play against North.
I think Lycett/Vardy is the combo we should go with but feel kind of bad leaving Petrie out.
Lycett still has to play and play well before he makes it into the side for round 1. His fitness base is also a long way behind Vardy and Petrie because he hasn't been able to put the work in yet

Lycett still has to play and play well before he makes it into the side for round 1. His fitness base is also a long way behind Vardy and Petrie because he hasn't been able to put the work in yet

Yeah I think we should play it safe with Lycett and make sure he's really ready to go. No need to rush him in. Go with Vardy/Petrie rnd 1

I think Nelson will get first crack at Butlers spot. Nelson in the last 6 months or so looks very good when attacking off half back. It's reminiscent of when he played midfield for East Perth. His kicking has come a long way and yesterday he had some Lazer like passes. He also seems to have grown a 15cm and looks bigger.

I think Nelson will get first crack at Butlers spot. Nelson in the last 6 months or so looks very good when attacking off half back. It's reminiscent of when he played midfield for East Perth. His kicking has come a long way and yesterday he had some Lazer like passes. He also seems to have grown a 15cm and looks bigger.

Yeah agreed. Would love to see Nelson given first crack. He's still got a lot to work on, but there's enough there in my opinion.

If I was picking our 22 for Round 1 I'd be taking yesterday's team and removing EMac, Masten, Redden and Butler. (Assuming Lycett still unavailable)
Then you'd be one short

We actually only played with 25 as Cole didn't play despite being named in the 26

If you feel like a laugh go read the first 7 pages of the Freo v Eagles game thread from yesterday on the Freo board.

A couple of pearlers.

"Even India are better than us!":p

"Is leading by our forwards banned?":thumbsu:

"Oh no, I remember this feeling from last season":D:'(

And they started off with so much optomism!!:D
I did the same and after 8 pages I started to feel sorry for them . Too much of a good thing

I didn't even notice that. Just went back and looked and it's a clear super goal - not sure how they missed that.

28vbv2b.png

ws8kzq.png

We should be given a three point head start in round one to make up for it!
They even showed it again on highlights after the game from a zoomed in side angle and it was Def a 9 pointer. So surprised not one commentator picked up on it.
Guess they were to wrapped up with how good the Bulldogs are, talked about them enough. The only thing that annoyed me more than the Bulldog hype was how this was Freo's first hit out and our second, yea for like half a dozen players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Butler McGovern Sheppard
HB: Hurn Barrass Jetta
C: Shuey Mitchell Gaff
HF: Cripps Darling Hill
FF: LeCras Kennedy Lycett
R: Vardy Priddis Sheed
I/C: Yeo Wellingham Hutchings Nelson

Emg: Masten Redden Petrie
Just checking your thoughts on Jetta in defence. That was tried last year and the web did not allow him to use his speed and give us the run and carry he offers. Just loved the deliver into the forward line with his and others having got freedom. I would have thought Yeo in defence was back to his accountable and not needing to think too much best.

Overall I think you have nailed most of the best 22, just debating positions.

Guys my phone has s**t itself and the ******* live pass is beign a w***er and won't work for me. I have one but it won't work. is there any other way i can watch a replay of the match?

Let's not forget it was super hot and humid up there, that had a huge impact on intensity from both sides come half time. I thought everyone played much "clearer", decisions were better and most kicks and handballs had purpose as oppsed to thrown on the boot that we have been so accustomed to, which is nice to see.

Always heard Alistair Clarkson talk about how Hawks players had to have "elite kicks" first and foremost, hoping Mitchels influence helps in that regard

Just watching game for the first time. 5 minutes into the 2md quarter.

Sam Mitchell.

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahbahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaahhah
And the Hawks are paying some of his wage!!

They even showed it again on highlights after the game from a zoomed in side angle and it was Def a 9 pointer. So surprised not one commentator picked up on it.
Guess they were to wrapped up with how good the Bulldogs are, talked about them enough. The only thing that annoyed me more than the Bulldog hype was how this was Freo's first hit out and our second, yea for like half a dozen players.
I was listening to 94.5 and they picked up on it.

Thoughts on Vardy? I wasn't watching for him tbh

Dunno what's wrong with Emac, thought he played the same as some of his poorer games last year. Crunch time

Thoughts on Vardy? I wasn't watching for him tbh

Dunno what's wrong with Emac, thought he played the same as some of his poorer games last year. Crunch time
Vardy was ok.. not great. Good to get through uninjured and for him to get some minutes in the legs.

Emac is cactus

FB: Butler McGovern Sheppard
HB: Hurn Barrass Jetta
C: Shuey Mitchell Gaff
HF: Cripps Darling Hill
FF: LeCras Kennedy Lycett
R: Vardy Priddis Sheed
I/C: Yeo Wellingham Hutchings Nelson

Emg: Masten Redden Petrie

Forget about Lycett playing forward for the first 6 games untill he builds some match fitness. Rotate him off the bench and play a smaller forward line when Vardy rucks. Lycett will struggle up forward and apply very little forward pressure in the first half of the year IMO.

Wellingham at half back instead of Jetta but Jetta will thrive with the new run and handball game plan from defense.

Just checking your thoughts on Jetta in defence. That was tried last year and the web did not allow him to use his speed and give us the run and carry he offers. Just loved the deliver into the forward line with his and others having got freedom. I would have thought Yeo in defence was back to his accountable and not needing to think too much best.

Overall I think you have nailed most of the best 22, just debating positions.

The logic for me is that these days the nominal wingers often end up spending quite a bit of time on-ball. Having Jetta set up off half-back and employ that link-up handball and burst role plays more to his strengths imo. I think he got too easily lost in the play when he was playing up forward. He's capable of being accountable down back as long as he has a defined role.

I agree with Yeo in defence and would have him as the first half-back rotation while occasionally pinch-hitting in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back