Unofficial Preview JLT cup Strathalbyn, Sunday 25th Feb @ 1.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our problem is an inability to meet fire with fire, when the Opposition really comes out to play. Under intense pressure as in the GF, we folded. Really good teams don't eg Brisbane when they were hot, Hawks as well --- they got more aggro than the opposition!
Without Gov and Smithers and with the infighting surrounding Leaver (thanks Jake, for nothing) we were unable to lift and overcome Richmond's (Umpire-aided**) pressure. Mentally, heads not right.

This is what I was saying through, when teams brought the game to us regardless if theyre a good team or not, we adjusted and matched them at home, and then put them to the sword. We seem to be not as effective at this away from home, which good teams shouldn't suffer from.

As you said, a team like Hawthorn would take it to anyone, anywhere. We need to replicate this more so, because we do it (to an extent) at home (but there's still room for improvement), but there seems to be something missing/lacking mentally away from home.

What do you think of Lachie Murphy now?? Looked alright in both the AFLX and yesterdays games to my eye? AFL attributes?
No comment James_37 ?
You were quick to jump on me when I suggested we should draft Lachie or rookie him on what I'd seen of him in the TAC Cup Comp in 2016 and then having had an outstanding season in the SANFL culminating in winning the Dean Bailey Award?

It does make you question what the hell they were doing even playing there? I'm all for getting the JLT games out of the city and to places that don't normally get to see AFL footy, but you'd think the bare minimum prerequisite is that the ground be a close-enough facsimile of an actual AFL ground, otherwise it undermines the whole purpose of it has a warm-up match. We already had AFLX last week for those wanting to watch the game on a novelty ground, JLT should be about preparation for the real season.
There are lots of different shaped grounds in the competition. Decent teams should be able to adjust

No comment James_37 ?
You were quick to jump on me when I suggested we should draft Lachie or rookie him on what I'd seen of him in the TAC Cup Comp in 2016 and then having had an outstanding season in the SANFL culminating in winning the Dean Bailey Award?

I listened to ya bicks... and as far as I have seen in the video footage of him on YouTube and the AFLX and JLT1 games he’s pretty much as fast as Cameron, can take a screamer like Cameron, tackles as hard as Cameron and has a massive long kick on him.. and he can kick straight.

So he’s currently no1 in my books as the CAmeron replacement and if he listens to the coaches and Eddie, Tex and others in our forwardline and learns from them.. he’ll quickly become better than Cameron ever was for us.

There are lots of different shaped grounds in the competition. Decent teams should be able to adjust

Nah, the shape and size of the Strathalbyn ground was not conducive to good AFL football. You could go inside 50 with a decent kick from the back pocket--well, almost. The ground was so narrow there was no chance of any decent play out wide because out wide didn't exist. This meant the wingmen had nowhere to go. Sam Jacobs couldn't play his linkup game as there wasn't the space to get into space. The forward lines were cluttered and forwards had no space to lead into.
Good training for the SGG and maybe the Cattery perhaps.

See a lot of Dislike for Hampton games, Think a few who watch only remember his first quarter.
He played like a nervous nellie, could not get any ball control. He was in the right spots just could not get anything to work. But as the game went on he improved. I would reserve my judgement until Sat. or the next JLT game.
Would have been better too if he iced the 2 set shots for goal.

Not sure what thread I should put this in so I might chuck it in a couple..

When you get to the over 40’s you stop listening to triple j and start listening to ABC radio.. well that’s what I’ve found... anyway every weekday on abc radio they have a program at 11am called “conversations with Richard Fidler” where Richard basically interviews people about their lives and it’s really interesting hearing some of the amazing stories of famous and non famous people..

Anyway.. Today’s episode had Richard Fidler chatting to Peter Bell of both North Melbourne and Freo fame.. and it was a really great insight into the life of Peter Bell and had a good section of it that discussed Pagan drafting him to North Melbourne..

Anyway, if your a footy tragic like me and you enjoy a really good yarn you can listen to it here as a podcast...

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-peter-bell/9463078

goes for nearly an hour and I guarantee you’ll enjoy hearing the story of Peter Bell even though he wasn’t a crow!..

it’s a pretty bloody amazing story about a young Korean baby that was adopted by an Aussie couple and become an AFL great... a two time premiership player and a hall of famer.. he nearly didn’t make it and the way his birth mother found him years after giving him up for adoption is amazing.

Trust me... Give it a listen.

Why did we keep Hunter?
Not sure what thread I should put this in so I might chuck it in a couple..

When you get to the over 40’s you stop listening to triple j and start listening to ABC radio.. well that’s what I’ve found... anyway every weekday on abc radio they have a program at 11am called “conversations with Richard Fidler” where Richard basically interviews people about their lives and it’s really interesting hearing some of the amazing stories of famous and non famous people..

Anyway.. Today’s episode had Richard Fidler chatting to Peter Bell of both North Melbourne and Freo fame.. and it was a really great insight into the life of Peter Bell and had a good section of it that discussed Pagan drafting him to North Melbourne..

Anyway, if your a footy tragic like me and you enjoy a really good yarn you can listen to it here as a podcast...

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-peter-bell/9463078

goes for nearly an hour and I guarantee you’ll enjoy hearing the story of Peter Bell even though he wasn’t a crow!..

it’s a pretty bloody amazing story about a young Korean baby that was adopted by an Aussie couple and become an AFL great... a two time premiership player and a hall of famer.. he nearly didn’t make it and the way his birth mother found him years after giving him up for adoption is amazing.

Trust me... Give it a listen.
Fidler is excellent

Why did we keep Hunter?

Fidler is excellent

Ive been listening to him for a few years now... some of the stories have been unbelievable... and I’ll say peter bells story today was one of the best..

As for Hunter... I don’t know, but maybe he’s just insurance if both O’Brien and sauce went down at the same time.. he was horrid yesterday but it wasn’t the greatest footy ground for the big slower men..

Ive been listening to him for a few years now... some of the stories have been unbelievable... and I’ll say peter bells story today was one of the best..

As for Hunter... I don’t know, but maybe he’s just insurance if both O’Brien and sauce went down at the same time.. he was horrid yesterday but it wasn’t the greatest footy ground for the big slower men..
I suspect even if Sauce went down, we'd go JJ and Keath before ROB, so Hunter seems like a rather odd insurance policy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect even if Sauce went down, we'd go JJ and Keath before ROB, so Hunter seems like a rather odd insurance policy
Last time Sauce went down for 2 games we played ROB. No reason to think we wouldn't do the same, particularly as ROB is now a better player.

I listened to ya bicks... and as far as I have seen in the video footage of him on YouTube and the AFLX and JLT1 games he’s pretty much as fast as Cameron, can take a screamer like Cameron, tackles as hard as Cameron and has a massive long kick on him.. and he can kick straight.

So he’s currently no1 in my books as the CAmeron replacement and if he listens to the coaches and Eddie, Tex and others in our forwardline and learns from them.. he’ll quickly become better than Cameron ever was for us.

Which is awesome, considering he isn't even the player we got for the Cameron pick.

Just on the Cameron pick....obviously we got Fogarty. I had a shed installed a few weeks ago, young lad who was working on it was Wayne Weidemann's son. We got talking and he said he'd played against Jackson Edwards, Ben Jarman and Darcy Fogarty. I asked him which he'd rate highest and he said Fogarty - tough unit and ready to go at senior level now. Was interesting to hear.

Why did we keep Hunter?

Fidler is excellent
They rated him pretty highly at the time of drafting. Might be one of those things where they want a 3rd string ruck/forward, but don't want to spend more than a rookie pick currently and just don't rate anyone else in the state leagues better than him at the moment to be worth drafting.

Re: Hunter

I play footy with his uncle - After training on Sunday a bunch of us went to the pub to watch the game and cheer him on. His uncle loves the green post-training so he was pretty blazed but after a bit he was convinced that #37 wasn't his nephew and it must be someone else out there instead...

It wasn't until he gave away the 50 metre penalty that the camera got a real good look of him and then he realised it was him, but he just hadn't seen him with a beard before

But yeah, certainly wasn't a great game by him, especially when there was 15 or so people watching out for him

Why did we keep Hunter?

Yes, “Mike” was a bit lost on Sunday but in the SANFL he is not far behind Dear and ROB.

I saw his first trial game with our Twos and it was the worst performance I have ever seen. He has improved substantially but I would be surprised if he became a regular AFL player.

No comment James_37 ?
Good call Bicks
Hope he has a great career at Adelaide but its preseason and only one game. I feel that after one game there is a huge expectation on a young fella now

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back