Unofficial Preview JLT cup Strathalbyn, Sunday 25th Feb @ 1.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Our ball movement from defence was radically different compared to last year. That is the main thing I took from the game.

Last year we went at 1.25 kicks per handball.

In JLT 1 we went at 0.90 kicks per handball.

I reckon if we had the ratio by zone the swing would be even more pronounced in the D50.

We don’t have Brodie Smith’s long bullet passes, anymore, and Lever’s ability to cut through traffic is also gone. Made it a lot harder to play the style of the last couple of years of rapidly pinging the ball up the ground with passes to leading forwards.

Now, after winning possession in D50 there would be a cluster of our small defenders and mids pushing back ready to receive a hand pass and run and carry.

Will be interested to see how that progresses especially against the teams with strong defensive pressure.

Now, after winning possession in D50 there would be a cluster of our small defenders and mids pushing back ready to receive a hand pass and run and carry.

Will be interested to see how that progresses especially against the teams with strong defensive pressure.
Keep an eye on Atkins

Our ball movement from defence was radically different compared to last year. That is the main thing I took from the game.

I reckon if we had the ratio by zone the swing would be even more pronounced in the D50.

We don’t have Brodie Smith’s long bullet passes, anymore, and Lever’s ability to cut through traffic is also gone. Made it a lot harder to play the style of the last couple of years of rapidly pinging the ball up the ground with passes to leading forwards.

We did that a lot in the early days with Pyke, have 2-4 guys linking up through the back 50 and midfield with hand passes. Didn’t happen a ton after the first month or so though.

I wouldn't assume any significant handball to kicking ratio change based on 1 JLT game played on a smaller ground...

Also, we had half our best team out!

No Strathalbyn 135 x 105 ( using sat data for measurement) was both Short and Narrow and has pointed ends, In comparision, Symonds 170 x 115 But has potato-like ends, Closer to Adelaide 167 x 123 oval than most realise. Sydney 149 x136 a Lot wider.

I really don't know why Strathalbyn was chosen. I thought these games were supposed to take footy to regional fans that couldn't otherwise attend AFL games? If you live in Strath you can still travel to Adelaide quite easily.

Add this to the fact the ground was simply too small. Seems an odd choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back