Autopsy JLT Game 2: Suns v Dons @ Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

It was really great to see the young suns team play very well today. Definitely some light for us suns supporters.

Just finished watching the replay after watching the first quarter live, and first of all how good is it to see a win (in pre-season) with so many young blokes in the side.

Just a few thoughts:
- Even though we lost the hit-outs we were well on top in the middle which is a great sign and if we had of converted a few more of our inside 50s early on we could have put alot more points on the board.
- The gameplan of quick handballing up the guts looked alright, although we are still obviously learning it and probably over used it a bit too much.
- Brodie and Ainsworth have fit in seamlessly. Ainsworth is a genuine goal threat from any angle/position, something we havent had since Materas first season, and what can I say about Brodie that hasn't already been said? Those 2 first quarter goals were a great reward for him.
- Barlow is just a ball magnet. Is always in the right position and its great having that big, tall body in the middle.
- Sexton = lock for round 1. 26 touches @ 86%, 2 goals and 8 inside 50s. Is another real damaging player who looks like he could benefit greatly from our midfield additions.
- Jacky Martin is silk. Looks a bit bigger and just had so much time with the ball. Seems more confident as well. Could be an astute pick in the draft fantasy for the handsome genius that picked him up. ;) (knock on wood)
- I thought Kk looked like he is back to near his best too. He just glides across the ground and that long left-foot turns defence into attack with 1 kick.
- And finally, I thought Lonergan was alright playing more half-forward it seemed. Has improved his skills and can play almost anywhere Rocket asks him to. If he is the 21st/22nd player picked in the squad then we should have a pretty good year and I wouldn't be dissapointed, unlike last year where he was in the first dozen picked and was asked to carry a bulk of the grunt work.

Good time to have a week off and freshen up for the Doggies at Metricon which will really show exactly where we are sitting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back