Game Day JLT game 2 vs Gold Coast

That happens when you dont have sufficient core strength, few gym sessions he should be fine.

About a year’s worth. We shouldn’t see much of our draftees besides Blakey this year and frankly if we do we’re in trouble. It’s refreshing to not have to rely on kids who aren’t ready and can’t consistently contribute. But I’ve liked everything I’ve seen from the three we’ve seen in action.

I just checked and today Clarke got more disposals and tackles than in any game he played in 2018.
Not surprising since North insisted on playing him in defence. He’s always had ball-winning ability but disposal can let him down.

Fox didn’t play forward and to be honest I don’t think he is a pressure forward either.

Ronke will probably play Round One, I am just saying he hasn’t set the world alight in pre-season. That might mean nothing of course.

In saying that I do feel like Ronke is a little overrated here due to 2 quite unbelievable performances. It is yet to be determined as to whether that is a sign of future performance or just freak games.

He played 18 games last year and kicked 24 goals. 12 of those goals came in two games thus he kicked 12 from 16 games outside of these (amazing) performances.

In the last 7 rounds of 2018, he kicked 3 goals.

So I don’t think he is necessarily a sure thing. There have been players before that have started like lightning and then stalled. I am not saying he will be one, but it’s possible.

Probably one of the more memorable examples of that was Adrian McAdam who kicked 23 goals in his first 3 games and ended his first season with 68 goals from 17 games. He was unable to repeat the performance in 1994 and managed only one game in 1995 before being delisted and effectively career over.

Hopefully Ronke isn’t like that, but I still feel he has a ways to go before he can be absolutely considered a lock selection.

Very strong points, plus second year blues maybe, teams more aware

Hopefully he can be consistent as time goes by

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not surprising since North insisted on playing him in defence. He’s always had ball-winning ability but disposal can let him down.

Which seems like such an odd choice since it is pretty obvious Clarke is an in the guts, high traffic sort of midfielder. His kicking can let him down, so you really don't want him in defence since a bad kick there will likely lead to an opposition goal. His strengths and weaknesses seem to suit the midfield much more.

Which seems like such an odd choice since it is pretty obvious Clarke is an in the guts, high traffic sort of midfielder. His kicking can let him down, so you really don't want him in defence since a bad kick there will likely lead to an opposition goal. His strengths and weaknesses seem to suit the midfield much more.
Don't know about that, Andrew Dunkley went okay!

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
He'll be used as a chop out this year with Reid. Interesting is whether Sinclair and Naismith can play in the same side.
He's trained as a second ruck.
All summer.
Sinkers and Naismith won't play together.
Why would you?
The value of the ruckmen has diminished IMO.
AA is an ideal second stringer.
You want a second effort ruckmen.
Mobile.
The amount of space around the square in the new rules means ruckmen will become more involved in disposal of the footy.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals

29 disposals at 79% DE today. Keep that up and he'd be our best user in the midfield.

As a comparison, Dan Hannebery averages
2018 - 18.7 Disposals @ 64.7% DE
2017 - 24.7 @ 71.3%
2016 - 30.8 @ 67.6%
2015 - 30 @ 71.3%
2014 - 25.2 @ 70.6%
2013 - 25.3 @ 70%
2012 - 23.8 @ 69.7% (Ryan's current age)

So looking at those stats if Ryan can produce a season averaging mid 20's in disposals and around 70% DE then he is tracking very nicely in comparison to Hanners at the same age.

FWIW Ryan's average DE last year was 70.1% so the whole "Ryan's kicking can let him down" line doesn't fly with me.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
JLT was a pretty good hitout. We won six out of eight quarters. The young players who we need to step up look like they're stepping up - Papley, Heeney, Dawson, AA, Mills.

How good was it to see Dawson and Blakey delivering into the forward line like they did today. Admittedly against an outgunned GCS backline. But the mid-forward connectivity is where we've been rubbish so often.

Like our mids a refreshing improvement after struggling last year. Clarke did everything asked of him. This year's midfield of JPK, Parker, Heeney, Paps, Clarke plus Blewett, Mills looks ready to rock.

Plus AA - the value of him in the ruck is having a sixth midfielder at the contest, a real weapon in the 666 era.

Up back Melican pretty rusty, Thurlow seemed OK, COR fumbled a bit but gained a lot of territory - must be close to selection.

Blakey's obviously got the skill and composure to play at this level. It's just a matter of how well his body can cope. Wild guess is he'll play a dozen games this year.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Very strong points, plus second year blues maybe, teams more aware

Hopefully he can be consistent as time goes by
I don't overrated him. Players like Ronke are an enigma. He will only kick one or two then have a blinder and kick 6. Daicos was the same. So was Darren Jarman. They are freaky players. I think Ronke is in that class.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't overrated him. Players like Ronke are an enigma. He will only kick one or two then have a blinder and kick 6. Daicos was the same. So was Darren Jarman. They are freaky players. I think Ronke is in that class.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

D.Jarman was far more than a goal sneak. Easily one of the best handful of kickers of the footy in the last 30 years.

Ronke is nowhere near that class. Yet.

Back