Game Day JLT game 2 vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

we beat up a neafl side. not a great test going into round 1.
clarke, COR and thurlow needed that performance but it was against very poor opposition.
their midfield made pappy look like patrick dangerfield.

Totally agree, but all you can do is beat the opposition in front of you and in terms of some of our depth players/new faces needing to prove themselves, guys like Clarke, Dawson, Blakey and to a lesser extent COR and Thurlow did just that. Even though you can't take much from it at least those guys gave good showings and at least created some competition for spots and cranked up the pressure for selection. That's a plus to come out of it even if their form is indecipherable due to the standard.

But there's just a good healthy competition for spots in our best 22 going into round one and just the start of the season in general really. As I said in another post, the efforts of McInerney and Rowbottom yesterday would have been enough to earn them debuts in recent seasons, because so often have we been floundering for depth we've turned to fresh faces not yet ready to provide what we need from them (see: Florent & Hayward in 2017, Stoddart & McCartin in 2018). But we now have some more experienced, senior-ready bodies putting their hands up, giving us the chance to let these kids develop in the NEAFL where they realistically belong.

Got some game-time into some returning players and came out of both matches with no apparent injuries (besides O Flo). That's about all you could ask for from a fortnight of useless pre-season competition.

29 disposals at 79% DE today. Keep that up and he'd be our best user in the midfield.

As a comparison, Dan Hannebery averages
2018 - 18.7 Disposals @ 64.7% DE
2017 - 24.7 @ 71.3%
2016 - 30.8 @ 67.6%
2015 - 30 @ 71.3%
2014 - 25.2 @ 70.6%
2013 - 25.3 @ 70%
2012 - 23.8 @ 69.7% (Ryan's current age)

So looking at those stats if Ryan can produce a season averaging mid 20's in disposals and around 70% DE then he is tracking very nicely in comparison to Hanners at the same age.

FWIW Ryan's average DE last year was 70.1% so the whole "Ryan's kicking can let him down" line doesn't fly with me.

Didn't you watch the game v GWS?

So, anyone want to reprise the discussion of Aliir in the ruck from last week...? Just about best on ground today.

Played well. Defence suffered in his absence. Out of form Melican gifted GoCo several goals. Why risk our best kpd?

I don't overrated him. Players like Ronke are an enigma. He will only kick one or two then have a blinder and kick 6. Daicos was the same. So was Darren Jarman. They are freaky players. I think Ronke is in that class.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crikey. Jarman and David were (unfortunately) champs. Only Eddie Betts and the little GWS dog, of current players, could end up rivalling those two.

I like Ronke but he has a long way to go to be a 30+ goal a season small forward.

I rate Paps as a small fwd more highly, but it seems his minutes there will be reduced. Pressure will be on Ronke as well as HayBarn to provide a ground level presence.

Crikey. Jarman and David were (unfortunately) champs. Only Eddie Betts and the little GWS dog, of current players, could end up rivalling those two.

I like Ronke but he has a long way to go to be a 30+ goal a season small forward.

I rate Paps as a small fwd more highly, but it seems his minutes there will be reduced. Pressure will be on Ronke as well as HayBarn to provide a ground level presence.

In theory they should be kicking more goals than Papley anyway. Hayward became the youngest player since Buddy to kick 50 career goals, and Ronke kicked bags of 7 and 5 last year, two things Papley has never done in his career. So their trajectories seem destined to be more prolific than Papley’s anyway. I still think Papley should be predominantly forward and tease him in the midfield to see how he copes.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Didn't you watch the game v GWS?

I did and I don't think it should be held against any player. It was our first hit out of the year, Ryan's first for the Swans. Understandably he would have been nervous. The whole team played like crap so that adds to the pressure Ryan would have put on himself. He would have also been rusty to start. Playing with new team mates, trying to learn a new roll, trying to learn how his new team mates setup. There's a whole heap of reasons. I just think people are to quick to write players off after 1 preseason performance and then to stubborn to admit when they were wrong so in 5-10 years time when they finish their careers they can bang on about how pathetic a player he was and I told you so just to stroke their ego. Give a bloke a chance to fit in with his new club.

In theory they should be kicking more goals than Papley anyway. Hayward became the youngest player since Buddy to kick 50 career goals, and Ronke kicked bags of 7 and 5 last year, two things Papley has never done in his career. So their trajectories seem destined to be more prolific than Papley’s anyway. I still think Papley should be predominantly forward and tease him in the midfield to see how he copes.

Watched Wayward closely. Just about everything he does looks easy, belying the actual task difficulty. He is fun to watch.

While he is still a kid, seems to me we really need him to step up this year. This means increasing his goal, assist and pressure output.

I did and I don't think it should be held against any player. It was our first hit out of the year, Ryan's first for the Swans. Understandably he would have been nervous. The whole team played like crap so that adds to the pressure Ryan would have put on himself. He would have also been rusty to start. Playing with new team mates, trying to learn a new roll, trying to learn how his new team mates setup. There's a whole heap of reasons. I just think people are to quick to write players off after 1 preseason performance and then to stubborn to admit when they were wrong so in 5-10 years time when they finish their careers they can bang on about how pathetic a player he was and I told you so just to stroke their ego. Give a bloke a chance to fit in with his new club.

He was obviously much better yesterday. At the time v Giants I admired his efforts in getting the ball and having a crack. I hope you are right re nerves affecting his disposal.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
He was obviously much better yesterday. At the time v Giants I admired his efforts in getting the ball and having a crack. I hope you are right re nerves affecting his disposal.
He looks like a mainstay in the firsts to me. Also I think people forget he is only 21. He has alot of time ahead of him to improve. By comparison he is the same age as Jordan Dawson, Callum mills & Ben Ronke. Pretty much everyone believes those guys all have alot of improvement left in them so why not Clarke?

He looks like a mainstay in the firsts to me. Also I think people forget he is only 21. He has alot of time ahead of him to improve. By comparison he is the same age as Jordan Dawson, Callum mills & Ben Ronke. Pretty much everyone believes those guys all have alot of improvement left in them so why not Clarke?

Again, I hope you are right. There is no question about the kids effort or ability to read and impose himself on a contest.

I hope the Bloods board him with Buddy. After bringing Mr and Mrs Buddy brekky in bed, they could then repair to the nearest oval where they'd meet up with Plugger and Nick Bloody Davis for some kicking tutorials.

Again, I hope you are right. There is no question about the kids effort or ability to read and impose himself on a contest.

I hope the Bloods board him with Buddy. After bringing Mr and Mrs Buddy brekky in bed, they could then repair to the nearest oval where they'd meet up with Plugger and Nick Bloody Davis for some kicking tutorials.

NB, Would like Tom McCartin to board with Plugger.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
My observations at the end of JLT2 and the preseason.

1. Decision to move Papley into the midfield was justified. He still kicks goals but brings a huge presence into the guts.
2. Recruiting this year was inspired. Some great ins, a lot of competition for spots and a mostly young list peaking towards the next 2-6 years.
3. Swans have done a great job developing Aliir, adding flexibility, versatility and discipline to his natural game. He's no longer a one trick pony. I don't mind seeing him playing as mobile ruckman if need be. Gives us a few options.
4. Melican missed a lot of footy after just getting going and it shows. Tried hard all day but needs to find his touch. Still he's showing some good signs. Sound move to put him on 2 metre Peter as a learning experience even though Grundy could more easily have done the job. It left Reg to have a bit of a dash. He looked great. Could go a few more years.
5. Rampe not having to mind a big forward meant that he and O'Riordan could get on a real run. Looked so much more dynamic.
6. Reid is a huge presence even as he's still finding his touch. Seeing 3 defenders going up to spoil gave our smalls a feast.
7. I hope the old bull Kennedy continues in this fresh vein of form now the weight of the captaincy has been shared. He's a great leader but he struggled to play his own game for the past 2 years. Plenty of life in him.
8. Parker's my bet for The Charlie this year. He's the whole package.
9. Dawson stood up and declared himself ready. I hope this is his breakthrough year.
10. McInerney and Clarke are straight up ready to play (if there's room). Rowbum showed a bit but not quite there yet. Seemed a bit hurried.
11. Only a JLT game against GC but we were playing attacking footy and were accurate around goals.
12. Buddy, Sinclair, Jack, Smith, Cameron, Naismith, LLoyd and Menzel are still to be squeezed into the side.
13. Blakey will get better as the year goes on. Melican, Reid and some young guys will too.
14. Can't wait to see the Swans selectors having to pick a forward line from Reid, Menzel, Buddy, Dawson, Sinclair, McCartin and Blakey. Throw in a resting ruckman...Maybe more scope for Buddy to roam. Certainky streets ahead of 2018 optons.
15. Hope Heeney's OK. Big blow to lose him early. I would have liked to see more of him in the midfield.
16. Liked Jones in the midfield a lot.
17. Macca looks fit and strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Paps coped beautifully. Some real pace to break through the packs. Needs to stay in the engine room

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I personally think Melican should play in the reserves this week. He could still easily play round 1, but I think he needs that extra game under his belt in order to find his touch.

If it was anyone other than the Dogs I might agree. Melican needs the experience. At least with Grundy playing beside him Reg can step in if needed. Horse has to throw Melican in the deep end. There's generational change underway throughout our team and Melican's a key cog in our future defence. His development is already a year behind schedule.

Fortunately we've got some experienced heads around to fasttrack him. Grundy, Macca and Rampe have a big influence on developing our young defenders but the former two are playing on borrowed time.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
If it was anyone other than the Dogs I might agree. Melican needs the experience. At least with Grundy playing beside him Reg can step in if needed. Horse has to throw Melican in the deep end. There's generational change underway throughout our team and Melican's a key cog in our future defence. His development is already a year behind schedule.

Fortunately we've got some experienced heads around to fasttrack him. Grundy, Macca and Rampe have a big influence on developing our young defenders but the former two are playing on borrowed time.
Reserves are playing this weekend, if he looks fresher he can still make round 1

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham

Christ, 21? In this day and age of unrealistic expectations of new draftees he’s basically a veteran.

If he’s not top 3 in the Brownlow this year I’d cut him loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
My observations at the end of JLT2 and the preseason.

1. Decision to move Papley into the midfield was justified. He still kicks goals but brings a huge presence into the guts.
2. Recruiting this year was inspired. Some great ins, a lot of competition for spots and a mostly young list peaking towards the next 2-6 years.
3. Swans have done a great job developing Aliir, adding flexibility, versatility and discipline to his natural game. He's no longer a one trick pony. I don't mind seeing him playing as mobile ruckman if need be. Gives us a few options.
4. Melican missed a lot of footy after just getting going and it shows. Tried hard all day but needs to find his touch. Still he's showing some good signs. Sound move to put him on 2 metre Peter as a learning experience even though Grundy could more easily have done the job. It left Reg to have a bit of a dash. He looked great. Could go a few more years.
5. Rampe not having to mind a big forward meant that he and O'Riordan could get on a real run. Looked so much more dynamic.
6. Reid is a huge presence even as he's still finding his touch. Seeing 3 defenders going up to spoil gave our smalls a feast.
7. I hope the old bull Kennedy continues in this fresh vein of form now the weight of the captaincy has been shared. He's a great leader but he struggled to play his own game for the past 2 years. Plenty of life in him.
8. Parker's my bet for The Charlie this year. He's the whole package.
9. Dawson stood up and declared himself ready. I hope this is his breakthrough year.
10. McInerney and Clarke are straight up ready to play (if there's room). Rowbum showed a bit but not quite there yet. Seemed a bit hurried.
11. Only a JLT game against GC but we were playing attacking footy and were accurate around goals.
12. Buddy, Sinclair, Jack, Smith, Cameron, Naismith, LLoyd and Menzel are still to be squeezed into the side.
13. Blakey will get better as the year goes on. Melican, Reid and some young guys will too.
14. Can't wait to see the Swans selectors having to pick a forward line from Reid, Menzel, Buddy, Dawson, Sinclair, McCartin and Blakey. Throw in a resting ruckman...Maybe more scope for Buddy to roam. Certainky streets ahead of 2018 optons.
15. Hope Heeney's OK. Big blow to lose him early. I would have liked to see more of him in the midfield.
16. Liked Jones in the midfield a lot.
17. Macca looks fit and strong.

Brilliant breakdown.

I’d like to reiterate point 3. Whoever wanted A2 in the middle made an inspired decision. I said it yesterday but I’ll say it again, he’ll be one of those players the opposition struggles to match up on.

Losing him to the weagles would have hurt us more then Mitchell to Hawthorn in the long run.

Brilliant breakdown.

I’d like to reiterate point 3. Whoever wanted A2 in the middle made an inspired decision. I said it yesterday but I’ll say it again, he’ll be one of those players the opposition struggles to match up on.

Losing him to the weagles would have hurt us more then Mitchell to Hawthorn in the long run.

Happy at admit I was fractionally wrong with AA in the middle, I still don't want him having to do it too often as we need him down back.

Happy at admit I was fractionally wrong with AA in the middle, I still don't want him having to do it too often as we need him down back.
“Fractionally”....what are we talking here.....1/3...1/8...3/16.....😃

“Fractionally”....what are we talking here.....1/3...1/8...3/16.....😃

Tosh. 2A is a point of difference in a backline severely challenged by 666. It is sheer folly to play him in the ruck.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Tosh. 2A is a point of difference in a backline severely challenged by 666. It is sheer folly to play him in the ruck.

It's' not like we were spoilt for choice. Assuming Sinkers is good to go AA can play 25% of his game time at ruck until Naismith is back and it should all work out fine whichever way you look at it. And if he just so happens to turn into Goodes Mrk II before Naismith gets back...WINNING !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back