Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
:rolleyes: Let's not hand him a brownlow and likely multiple club B&F quite yet.
And you should know better than to mention the war Tich - it'll only upset folks.

Brownlow predictions are folly. He’ll win at least 2 Norm Smith’s, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paps coped beautifully. Some real pace to break through the packs. Needs to stay in the engine room

You are basing this off one JLT game against very mediocre opposition. Virtually every midfield group we encounter from here on out will be much tougher. Let’s keep him as a forward who dips his toes in the midfield pond, and if he shows the same impressive signs as yesterday, then I would have no objections to him making the full transformations.

Watched Wayward closely. Just about everything he does looks easy, belying the actual task difficulty. He is fun to watch.

While he is still a kid, seems to me we really need him to step up this year. This means increasing his goal, assist and pressure output.

He is such a gun and can’t wait for his breakout season. Not sure it will be this year but I think he’ll be worth the wait.

I'm wondering when the praise for Horse will kick in after this JLT match? People were quick to lay the boots in after the first JLT game, where apparently there weren't enough changes or bold moves made. This game he injected necessary pace into the midfield (Jones, Papley), unleashed guys like Clarke and Dawson on the ball more, threw the dynamic Aliir into the ruck to help with our clearances.

Yet no praise.

Let me guess, it's only a JLT match so it doesn't count now?

I'm wondering when the praise for Horse will kick in after this JLT match? People were quick to lay the boots in after the first JLT game, where apparently there weren't enough changes or bold moves made. This game he injected necessary pace into the midfield (Jones, Papley), unleashed guys like Clarke and Dawson on the ball more, threw the dynamic Aliir into the ruck to help with our clearances.

Yet no praise.

Look what we played

We before a half decent team and get done pretty easy and kick 8 goals

This week a team they isn’t VFL standard

Yet no praise.

Papley also was up against a much better midfield and didn’t really get a kick that’s why I’m still not convinced that he should be played there more than the front half

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Yet no praise.

He will get praise if he can actually show a reasonable game plan against a tough opposition. It is easy to look good against Gold Coast. I did see a game plan yesterday which was nice, but all that is pointless if we don't see the same game plan in the tough matches. It certainly was not there against GWS.

He will get praise if he can actually show a reasonable game plan against a tough opposition. It is easy to look good against Gold Coast. I did see a game plan yesterday which was nice, but all that is pointless if we don't see the same game plan in the tough matches. It certainly was not there against GWS.

A JLT match against anyone is not tough opposition. JLT matches are low intensity games compared to the real deal. If you thought we were giving 100% in either JLT matches then you're sorely mistaken. So if you can't judge our form on one game, you shouldn't judge it on the other either.

But you didn't want to see a reasonable game plan. You said all you wanted to see was evidence that Horse was willing and trying to change things to improve. I think in both games he made some bold positional changes to get the desired outcome. Some worked, some didn't. But he still tried things. We can slam him off one meaningless JLT game, why don't we praise him for the other meaningless JLT game?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
For periods of the game when the ball was in their front half we pushed up and the 50m was vacant (the same for them for what it’s worth, the modern game...).

What was evident however:
1. We tried to move the ball quickly and with purpose
2. The forwards were prepared to work hard to get back and provide leads

We had 18 Marks inside 50. This is the second most of any team during the 2019 JLT (Richmond with 19). In the 2018 season we only beat this once (23).

So I guess I was happy with the intent shown. If it continues to work when under more pressure and playing a more disciplined and better team we will see.

Yet no praise.

Hmnn ..... Not a convincing coaching performance at all.

The GoCo had several run ons. Risked our best kpd in the ruck. Fwd line failed to regularly spread to provide targets. Did not give McInerney enough TOG. Did not provide Melican clear reminders on how to play defence. Didn't ruck Papley balanced on Ronkes shoulders. Team failed to bury a GoCo team showing fewer signs of life than the morgue.

Hmnn ..... Not a convincing coaching performance at all.

The GoCo had several run ons. Risked our best kpd in the ruck. Fwd line failed to regularly spread to provide targets. Did not give McInerney enough TOG. Did not provide Melican clear reminders on how to play defence. Didn't ruck Papley balanced on Ronkes shoulders. Team failed to bury a GoCo team showing fewer signs of life than the morgue.

- GoCo had several run ons because that is the nature of the JLT. No team is going to go ham for 100% game-time. That would be absurd and to our own detriment. Look at every other JLT game, and there were ebbs and flows. It's the result of the 6-6-6 rule basically meaning teams are finding it easier to capitalise on their momentum because they can get quick goals in succession. This was not an isolated issue for the Swans or for Horse.

- I agree re Aliir and still wish he would stay in defence. But I also think it was a byproduct of Horse doing exactly what you folks were asking of him, which was to try something different to give us more of an edge. You can't deny that Aliir made our midfielders more pro-active by creating contests they otherwise would never have been a part of if Witts was allowed free reign over the hopeless Sinclair.

- McInerney had plenty of TOG, more than some of the seniors in fact, but as expected for his age, he just couldn't impact regularly enough. There were several cases where he was hanging around the fringes waiting for the ball that just wasn't going to come out to him. It's a double-edged sword being a predominantly-uncontested youngster. There are times when it will be easy for you to find the footy, such as later in the game when he was winning a lot of easier touches, and then there are times it will be very difficult, such as earlier in the game when it was pretty contested and our senior blokes were hogging a lot of the possessions. The fact Horse gave McInerney so much TOG when a) I don't think he was ready to be a four-quarter contributor and b) he's not in contention for round one, should be applauded.

- Melican looked rusty as s**t, but if there's one thing we don't need to question Horse on, it's how to coach defenders. He's been the best in the last decade at producing quality key defenders. He's like the Henry Ford of defenders. Playing Melican in these games where he will inevitably struggle after such a long absence from the game is a necessary evil.

- Not understanding your point regarding Papley & Ronke?

- Refer to my first point: who wants to bury a team if it means giving any more than is necessary in a match that matters for naught? I certainly don't.

You and I usually see eye to eye on a lot of things but to summarise: I think you're reaching.

Brownlow predictions are folly. He’ll win at least 2 Norm Smith’s, though.
I disagree, can't see Aliir leaving us for West Coast or Richmond. He seems to really like being at the Swans

Yet no praise.

Beat Dew in a regular season game first then I’ll get excited

Horse gets credit for everything sydney ever did or will do , so I think he will be fine

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
A JLT match against anyone is not tough opposition. JLT matches are low intensity games compared to the real deal. If you thought we were giving 100% in either JLT matches then you're sorely mistaken. So if you can't judge our form on one game, you shouldn't judge it on the other either.

But you didn't want to see a reasonable game plan. You said all you wanted to see was evidence that Horse was willing and trying to change things to improve. I think in both games he made some bold positional changes to get the desired outcome. Some worked, some didn't. But he still tried things. We can slam him off one meaningless JLT game, why don't we praise him for the other meaningless JLT game?

I think he was slammed based off multiple seasons of repetitive bomb it long to 3 on 1s. JLT 1 followed suit. JLT 2 was a change from years of drudgery.

Beat Dew in a regular season game first then I’ll get excited

Horse gets credit for everything sydney ever did or will do , so I think he will be fine

Alternatively, lose to GWS in a regular season game first then you'll be disappointed in him. Is that not fair?

Because the vibe I'm getting here is

When we look really good it's only cause it's a JLT match

When we look really bad it's because of our coach, not cause it's a JLT match

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
I disagree, can't see Aliir leaving us for West Coast or Richmond. He seems to really like being at the Swans

Nah, they’ve already been to the well. They’re s**t now.

It’s all about the Swans next gen and young guns with cool nicknames like A2 or O-Flo. Then the two studs of the engine room in Heeney and Mills, who I like to refer to as Hills, or Meeney.

The vibe is real and it’s happening in twenny9teen!

Then the two studs of the engine room in Heeney and Mills, who I like to refer to as Hills, or Meeney.
Please don't make this a thing! I don't ask for much

Nah, they’ve already been to the well. They’re s**t now.

It’s all about the Swans next gen and young guns with cool nicknames like A2 or O-Flo. Then the two studs of the engine room in Heeney and Mills, who I like to refer to as Hills, or Meeney.

The vibe is real and it’s happening in twenny9teen!

Hills and Meeney, aka the 2016 US election

Alternatively, lose to GWS in a regular season game first then you'll be disappointed in him. Is that not fair?

Because the vibe I'm getting here is

When we look really good it's only cause it's a JLT match

When we look really bad it's because of our coach, not cause it's a JLT match
Screenshot_20190312-090149.jpg

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
D.Jarman was far more than a goal sneak. Easily one of the best handful of kickers of the footy in the last 30 years.

Ronke is nowhere near that class. Yet.
Of course he isn't yet and may never reach that class but he is one of a group of players who over the years do freaky things. He has potential. But more importantly he has X factor

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back