Preview JLT - Lions v Demons, Casey Fields, Saturday March 9th 3.10pm (Brisbane time).

Remove this Banner Ad

Neale, Lyons and McCarthy are all seriously good additions. On that basis alone we are a better side than last year.

Really surprised with how good McCarthy was in the midfield actually - really great attack on the ball, good on the ground and when it was in dispute. Super quick first few steps. Immediately useful.

Hard to see Matho missing a start in game one on that performance. Basti unfortunately did what Basti does, showed promising signs early and then faded to the point of being almost invisible. Maybe he was benched for a fair slice of the second half? Bailey will also play round one you would think.

Bet the media will say Brisbane only got the win because these players from Melbourne didn’t play and they had a few injuries during the game.

That was promising on so many fronts. Ball movement, recruits, structures and response when challenged. Pretty much used the preseason as it should be. Solid build each week from our gc hitout.
Need to move it a bit better going into 50 and still lack a marking option, but we look very dangerous when it hits the ground.
At the time I though the Suns decision to deist Lyons was bizarre... and the swift move to the lions warranted further scrutiny. Nonetheless I sense he’s going to follow in the steps of our captain and make them look very foolish.
I wouldn’t be giving May a holiday. Don’t think it was high.

Think Lewey replaced Bastinac and that's when Basti disappeared. I thought McStay showed some really encouraging signs that he has continued to progress. I think he can make an impact this season.

I would rather win than lose any day - even if only jlt. Winning is a habit and we haven't had that habit for a long time!
Bailey had a brilliant game for such a young player playing in a new position. He is a 200 gamer.

Bailey is really smart with the ball. Handled a number of pressure situations in the backline well Today, stays calm and uses that extra second to find the best option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was a game won on our defence IMO. Stable, reliable and efficient ball movement.

ANDREWS 3

RICH 2 (honestly one of his better defensive games)

LYONS 1

Good set of lessons:

- the game will ebb and flow, so keep following the game plan like it’s 0-0
- we can come out firing
- it’s easier playing in front
- we can hold on to a lead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back