Preview JLT - Lions v Demons, Casey Fields, Saturday March 9th 3.10pm (Brisbane time).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aston Villa, LA Rams
Apparently Hodgey picked up a minor niggle yesterday. One of only 3 players not at the Melb family day today, due to managing injuries. Archie also not there and the third player escapes me. Hopefully he is right for round 1.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
J Bez there? Not too knocked around?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Viceregal

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Doesn’t matter who we play we’re gonna get teamed. #realitycheck
I presume you meant reamed?

In any case you seem to be certain that we are doomed at least relatively speaking compared to the general optimistic bent around here atm ... at what point would you concede that you were incorrect ie if we win x games or our percentage is >y etc?

ie What would Billy consider to be a acceptable season and what would he consider to be a good season and at what point would his lid be removed should we get there?

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I presume you meant reamed?

In any case you seem to be certain that we are doomed at least relatively speaking compared to the general optimistic bent around here atm ... at what point would you concede that you were incorrect ie if we win x games or our percentage is >y etc?

ie What would Billy consider to be a acceptable season and what would he consider to be a good season and at what point would his lid be removed should we get there?
Expecting - 7 wins.

Pass mark? - 12 wins

Lid removed > 12

BangyBangy

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Expecting - 7 wins.

Pass mark? - 12 wins

Lid removed > 12
From 5 wins in a season (although a solid percentage) to 12. That's a seriously big jump for a pass mark. Not saying we can't do it, but damn. Do you have kids Billy? They must tremble when handing over their report cards.

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apparently Hodgey picked up a minor niggle yesterday. One of only 3 players not at the Melb family day today, due to managing injuries. Archie also not there and the third player escapes me. Hopefully he is right for round 1.

The other player was Starcevich mate. Who went off yesterday in the curtain raiser with a hammy.

Berry had a big bandage on his left leg but assured me he was fine.

Darcy Gardiner said he was confident to go for round 1. Marcus Adams is hoping to be available round 3/4. Nick Robertson is 100% fit and raring to go. Tommy Cutler seemed a little disappointed he wasn't in the side which is a good thing but smiled when I said we need him in the 22 with his pace and kicking skills. He said pass that onto the coach :)

Cam Rayner was super with everyone and boy has he got some powerfully built legs. He is a going to be one seriously big unit in a few years.

Tom14

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From 5 wins in a season (although a solid percentage) to 12. That's a seriously big jump for a pass mark. Not saying we can't do it, but damn. Do you have kids Billy? They must tremble when handing over their report cards.
12 wins would be an outstanding result, its crazy to call it a pass mark.

For me, pass would be 8-9 wins with an excellent result being 10-12.

a mayes ing

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The other player was Starcevich mate. Who went off yesterday in the curtain raiser with a hammy.

Darcy Gardiner said he was confident to go for round 1. Marcus Adams is hoping to be available round 3/4. Nick Robertson is 100% fit and raring to go. Tommy Cutler seemed a little disappointed he wasn't in the side which is a good thing but smiled when I said we need him in the 22 with his pace and kicking skills. He said pass that onto the coach :)

Cam Rayner was super with everyone and boy has he got some powerfully built legs. He is a going to be one seriously big unit in a few years.
Cheers for the info.

Good to know regarding Gardiner, hope he will be match fit.
Robbo is interesting as l thought he did his hammy and was listed 3 or so weeks away?

BangyBangy

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
12 wins would be an outstanding result, its crazy to call it a pass mark.

For me, pass would be 8-9 wins with an excellent result being 10-12.
I've done the ladder predictor more times than I should have. Pessimistic me (yeah I know, I'm a horribly optimistic person) has us with 9 wins, optimistic me has us making finals.

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars

Thanks mate, forgot about Starc.
Good little summary there, much appreciated. Funny you say that about Cuts, I also told him that I had him in my best 22 and he said to make sure I let Fages know haha.

I also had a chat with Cam Rayner’s Mum who was a lovely lady. Said she couldn’t have asked more from the club and Cam now considers Brisbane ‘home’. Said they have bent over backwards to ensure the family gets every opportunity possible to see Cam and he considers many of the other players as brothers. Can’t believe there was so many negative rumours about him pre draft. He is such a great kid and will tear the competition apart sooner, rather than later.

Was a great day and so good to see so many young (and old) Lions fans there. The players really are a great bunch of lads.

a mayes ing

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just wondering about the Round 1 match:

Who do we think is going to be more dangerous against us: Liam Ryan or Willie Rioli.
You would think Bailey would go on the most dangerous just because he could match them both on pace.

If Diz really is available for Round 1 then you would think he gets Darling.

Tom14

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've done the ladder predictor more times than I should have. Pessimistic me (yeah I know, I'm a horribly optimistic person) has us with 9 wins, optimistic me has us making finals.
I don't think I'm quite that optimistic yet! Having said that, I would be over the moon with us getting to 10-12 wins as it has been such a long time since we've even been close to that mark.

The other key indicators of a successful season for me would be winning a majority of our home games (essential if we are going to get into double digits) and starting out the season no worse than 2-2 - we haven't won 2 games before the bye since 2013 (when we went 2-8). Our first month doesn't have any gimmes but it does have winnable games, and then the draw evens out after that.

If we win say 9-10 games, plus the majority of our home games and we start the season well I'd consider that a success. Anything more than that is just icing on the cake for this year.

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks mate, forgot about Starc.
Good little summary there, much appreciated. Funny you say that about Cuts, I also told him that I had him in my best 22 and he said to make sure I let Fages know haha.

I also had a chat with Cam Rayner’s Mum who was a lovely lady. Said she couldn’t have asked more from the club and Cam now considers Brisbane ‘home’. Said they have bent over backwards to ensure the family gets every opportunity possible to see Cam and he considers many of the other players as brothers. Can’t believe there was so many negative rumours about him pre draft. He is such a great kid and will tear the competition apart sooner, rather than later.

Was a great day and so good to see so many young (and old) Lions fans there. The players really are a great bunch of lads.

Yeah I though Cutler looked a bit disillusioned. Fingers crossed he forces himself back into the 22 sooner rather than later. He is too good a player not to be in the seniors.

Josh Walker and Ryan Lester both said yesterdays game was very physical but a perfect work out and result. Two really nice guys. Can see why Ryan is well respected.

BangyBangy

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think I'm quite that optimistic yet! Having said that, I would be over the moon with us getting to 10-12 wins as it has been such a long time since we've even been close to that mark.

The other key indicators of a successful season for me would be winning a majority of our home games (essential if we are going to get into double digits) and starting out the season no worse than 2-2 - we haven't won 2 games before the bye since 2013 (when we went 2-8). Our first month doesn't have any gimmes but it does have winnable games, and then the draw evens out after that.

If we win say 9-10 games, plus the majority of our home games and we start the season well I'd consider that a success. Anything more than that is just icing on the cake for this year.
Personally I doubt we'll be 2-2. It's possible, but we'll have to do well. I actually think 1-4 is a very likely scenario. Still think we'll get 9 wins minimum though.

Top Bottom