Preview JLT - Lions v Demons, Casey Fields, Saturday March 9th 3.10pm (Brisbane time).

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I'm assuming we'll play our best available team. Who comes in who goes out? I'm not sure whether JLT2 is played under full normal season rules eg. 90 interchange cap, 20mins + time on, 4 on the bench.

1) Be overly cautious and rest Charlie Cameron?
2) Bring in Stefan Martin?
3) Does Tom Cutler and/or Cedric Cox get a run?

Hopefully the Demons play their best available side as well, Lions by 20 and no injuries please.

Ins: Cox, Fullarton, Hinge, Christensen, Martin, Cutler
Outs: Bastinac, Cameron, Ballenden, McInerney, Taylor, Lester

Cox for Cameron. Cox plays forward pocket to start.
Hinge for Bastinac. Want to see what he offers.
Fullarton for McInerney. More mobile fwd than McInerney? Let's see what he offers.
Christensen for Taylor.
Martin for Ballenden.
Cutler for Lester.

Backs: Starcevich, Walker, Witherden
Half backs: Rich, Andrews, Bailey
Centre: McCluggage, Neale, Cutler
Half fwds: Rayner, Hipwood, Zorko
Fwds: Cox, McStay, McCarthy

Followers: Martin, Lyons, Berry

Bench: A.Smith, Fullarton, Christensen, Robinson, Mathieson, Hinge, E.Smith, Allison

Last edited:

In: Cutler (best 22 IMO)
Out: (one of) ESmith, Taylor, Bastinac or Starcevich (all not best 22 IMO)

Cutler should be in our best 22. Adds a lot more than those others do ATM

In: Stef
Out: Ballenden

Rotate Stef and Archie through the ruck. Should give a good indication who should play round 1. Don’t need Ballenden. Still a long way off.

If fit Bundy plays for one that I listed above.

We’re pretty close to best 22 so no need to make a lot of changes and unlikely that we will.

Surprised everyone wants Bastinac out for the next one. I thought he was pretty good in the role he played, especially considering he barely played a half. Was applying pressure around half forward well and had two nice tag-team tackles with Rayner. I've got no stats to support it but felt like he also had a few score involvements. I wouldn't mind him getting a chance to stake a claim for a round 1 spot with some more game time.

In: Christensen, Cutler
Out: Smith, Taylor

Charlie apparently fine but in the event we decide to take the cautious approach Tom Berry in for him. Will be interesting to see if we bring in Stef or keep Archie and give him a run against Gawn. Tend to think it would be worthwhile giving Archie that chance and seeing how he goes.

All I'm really looking for from this practice run is better forward line function so we're not going for that extra handball in the chain when moving the ball from defence or through the midfield, some cleaner skills and maintaining that pressure we exhibited throughout the second half.

I'm assuming we'll play our best available team. Who comes in who goes out? I'm not sure whether JLT2 is played under full normal season rules eg. 90 interchange cap, 20mins + time on, 4 on the bench.

1) Be overly cautious and rest Charlie Cameron?
2) Bring in Stefan Martin?
3) Does Tom Cutler and/or Cedric Cox get a run?

Hopefully the Demons play their best available side as well, Lions by 20 and no injuries please.
Hodge was looking like he needed a spell...............

Out Lester- still slow
In -Cutler or Allison or Cox or Robertson

We can’t play Hodge and Lester in the same backline. The Hawks young guys just strolled past Lester. He is not the future so why not get games into the younger guys while Hodge is around to teach.

Out one of Archie or Oscar
In- Stef if ok
This is tough call. Archie is showing great signs at those Centre bounces but Stef has to come back in so I would give Oscar the centre tap job then swaps with Stef for general play ruck duties and Oscar goes forward.

Rest Charlie
In one of Christensen,Cutler, Allison or Cox or Wooller

Swap McStay and Walker. I believe Mcstay will make an excellent fullback. He just needs a run back there to get his confidence back. Give him a defined job and he will get his mojo back. He was recruited as a back. With the faster forward entries under 666 you need an athletic Fullback who is able to react quickly and match them in the air. Sicily made a mess of Josh. His reaction time was just too slow.

These are nice problems to have!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hodge was looking like he needed a spell...............

Hodge looked like he was already having an onfield spell when the opposition were chasing the ball to the sideline and he was in the background.

He needs better camera angles like I need better mirrors and camera lenses.

Easing into the season like the season pro he is

Absolutely. At 34 years old you don't want to be using up all your tickets on pre-season games. Listening to Adam Treloar the other week on SEN he said he likes playing on Pendles and the other seasoned players in preseason intra clubs as they don't lay a tackle until round 2 of JLT / TLC cup. Tongue in cheek sure, but a few pearls of wisdom there too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This off the lions site

https://m.lions.com.au/news/2019-03-05/neafl-keays

Keays played forward in the neafl match and has been training there all preseason. Went well. Wants goals plus five tackles per game.

Given the article release today I suspect he will play this weekend. Will be interesting to see - I really hope he can step up on this role. Would love to see him but best 22.

This off the lions site

https://m.lions.com.au/news/2019-03-05/neafl-keays

Keays played forward in the neafl match and has been training there all preseason. Went well. Wants goals plus five tackles per game.

Given the article release today I suspect he will play this weekend. Will be interesting to see - I really hope he can step up on this role. Would love to see him but best 22.
Can't see a spot for Keayes up forward. Just too much competition in Rayner, Cameron, Taylor, Mcarthy and resting mids.

Can't see a spot for Keayes up forward. Just too much competition in Rayner, Cameron, Taylor, Mcarthy and resting mids.

Can't see room for him in the midfield either.
Jlt is the time to try new things.

Gotta give the kid a chance if they have seen good signs during the preseason. Wouldn't want to try him out in season without a jlt game behind him.

Gotta give the kid a chance if they have seen good signs during the preseason. Wouldn't want to try him out in season without a jlt game behind him.

But it’s very clear that we’re not looking to experiment in the preseason.

Anyway, he’s played up forward heaps in the seniors. It’s not a new thing.

Reckon Keayes is just in a place right now where he'll have to bash the door down with continued NEAFL form. I'd be very surprised if he gets a JLT game.

Despite going down to Portsea for the long weekend, I've decided that I can't resist the lure of a Lions double-header and will brave the absolute s**t hole that is Cranbourne. Let's hope I have a car and / or four wheels to return to after the game(s).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back