Preview JLT - Lions v Demons, Casey Fields, Saturday March 9th 3.10pm (Brisbane time).

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just wondering about the Round 1 match:

Who do we think is going to be more dangerous against us: Liam Ryan or Willie Rioli.
You would think Bailey would go on the most dangerous just because he could match them both on pace.

If Diz really is available for Round 1 then you would think he gets Darling.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've done the ladder predictor more times than I should have. Pessimistic me (yeah I know, I'm a horribly optimistic person) has us with 9 wins, optimistic me has us making finals.

I don't think I'm quite that optimistic yet! Having said that, I would be over the moon with us getting to 10-12 wins as it has been such a long time since we've even been close to that mark.

The other key indicators of a successful season for me would be winning a majority of our home games (essential if we are going to get into double digits) and starting out the season no worse than 2-2 - we haven't won 2 games before the bye since 2013 (when we went 2-8). Our first month doesn't have any gimmes but it does have winnable games, and then the draw evens out after that.

If we win say 9-10 games, plus the majority of our home games and we start the season well I'd consider that a success. Anything more than that is just icing on the cake for this year.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks mate, forgot about Starc.
Good little summary there, much appreciated. Funny you say that about Cuts, I also told him that I had him in my best 22 and he said to make sure I let Fages know haha.

I also had a chat with Cam Rayner’s Mum who was a lovely lady. Said she couldn’t have asked more from the club and Cam now considers Brisbane ‘home’. Said they have bent over backwards to ensure the family gets every opportunity possible to see Cam and he considers many of the other players as brothers. Can’t believe there was so many negative rumours about him pre draft. He is such a great kid and will tear the competition apart sooner, rather than later.

Was a great day and so good to see so many young (and old) Lions fans there. The players really are a great bunch of lads.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah I though Cutler looked a bit disillusioned. Fingers crossed he forces himself back into the 22 sooner rather than later. He is too good a player not to be in the seniors.

Josh Walker and Ryan Lester both said yesterdays game was very physical but a perfect work out and result. Two really nice guys. Can see why Ryan is well respected.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think I'm quite that optimistic yet! Having said that, I would be over the moon with us getting to 10-12 wins as it has been such a long time since we've even been close to that mark.

The other key indicators of a successful season for me would be winning a majority of our home games (essential if we are going to get into double digits) and starting out the season no worse than 2-2 - we haven't won 2 games before the bye since 2013 (when we went 2-8). Our first month doesn't have any gimmes but it does have winnable games, and then the draw evens out after that.

If we win say 9-10 games, plus the majority of our home games and we start the season well I'd consider that a success. Anything more than that is just icing on the cake for this year.

Personally I doubt we'll be 2-2. It's possible, but we'll have to do well. I actually think 1-4 is a very likely scenario. Still think we'll get 9 wins minimum though.

Brizzys Squizzy

All Australian
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just wondering about the Round 1 match:

Who do we think is going to be more dangerous against us: Liam Ryan or Willie Rioli.
You would think Bailey would go on the most dangerous just because he could match them both on pace.

If Diz really is available for Round 1 then you would think he gets Darling.
I think kennedy unlikely to play Rnd 1 so Harry A to get darling if that's the case.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Neale is the best player we have had since Black retired. His balance and vision is next level. Rich was fantastic yesterday and when he puts his body on the line is a much better player. Would not swap Andrew's for Rance or any other back in the league considering his age.

We will have some frustration this year, but will also have quarters/halves that will have us fist pumping the air and screaming in delight. Consistency will be our issue but our best will be as good as anyone's.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doubt they will play together as they both suck forward.
Took a hit on the throat, went to the hospital, hopefully all good

So Stef will play as the sole ruck? I’m asking from a fantasy perspective

(Log in to remove this ad.)

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
So Stef will play as the sole ruck? I’m asking from a fantasy perspective
Martin has said in a Lions podcast that he is aware Archie is after his spot as No.1 Ruck. It appears Archie will eventually take over from Martin. Barring injury, I'd expect Archie to play only a handful of games this year, enough for him to stay keen & stick with the Lions.

dizzysquizz

Senior List
May 16, 2016
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Herald Sun was the same. The radio commentary was nearly as bad too when I went for a jog at half time - just Frawley talking absolute rubbish and the game not being called for what seemed like minutes at a time. There was more discussion on Demons injuries that happened in the first quarter than on what was actually happening in the first 10 minutes of the third.

totally agree the radio coverage was terrible, Spud seemed much more interested in the horse races going on at Randwick then the match in front of him, that was bad, but then thought all the listeners should get a run down on specific races ....

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hard to see Matho missing a start in game one on that performance. Basti unfortunately did what Basti does, showed promising signs early and then faded to the point of being almost invisible. Maybe he was benched for a fair slice of the second half? Bailey will also play round one you would think.
The 2 players I was happiest about with their form and the way they went about it were Matho & Bailey.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Everyone remember last time we had a great preseason? How did that season go.
Come round 1 we’ll see
Life's a lot more fun when the glass is half full not half empty. Enjoy the positives out of the game, don't worry there will be plenty of negatives coming up where you can get your knickers well and truly twisted.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Neale is the best player we have had since Black retired. His balance and vision is next level. Rich was fantastic yesterday and when he puts his body on the line is a much better player. Would not swap Andrew's for Rance or any other back in the league considering his age.

We will have some frustration this year, but will also have quarters/halves that will have us fist pumping the air and screaming in delight. Consistency will be our issue but our best will be as good as anyone's.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Most determined Rich I have ever seen.......didnt let anyone past and copped a battering a few times. Kicking not the usual starring performer but much rather tough and hungry Rich turning up each week.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Reflecting on the game on Saturday the one area where I was really impressed was how clean we were in the trenches. I watched some other JLT games over the weekend and there was an awful lot of fumbling.
Was thinking the same before and how much an impact Robertson will have on that.

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back