Preview JLT- Lions v Hawks, Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex, Sunday March 3rd 12.40pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our forward set-up is just so obviously out of balance. However, the rest is encouraging.

I've been a consistent critic of McStay, basically because I don't think he contributes enough and his kicking is routinely crap. However, to be fair he is being asked to compete against teammates who are bigger and better able to contest. In competing for the same high ball in the hot spot McStay is just making the contest less viable, and unfortunately he lacks the ability to add to the competition for the loose ball. Either he is sent elsewhere or someone else should be. In the end I doubt whether he has the skills set.

Our not so big recruits all add something positive to the mix.

Not yet convinced we'll definitely improve although the extra talent should tell in the end. Should. Continually adding to the talent pool usually helps. It's putting it all together. Belting it blindly forward in the general direction of various tall people isn't the solution.

I'd be giving Cedric Cox and Tom Cutler a run against the Demons next Saturday, I'd also like to try a 2 talls up front structure.

Ins- Tom Cutler, Cedric Cox, Nick Robertson.

Outs- Ryan Lester, Oscar McInerney, Charlie Cameron(injury or precaution).
Bundy a definite for next week so that's one change probably taylor out

Was at the game and yes there was lots of flying for the same ball by our key forwards. Wasn't working all that well, especially when Rayner tried to come in over the top as well a couple times. However when we played our best football last year our forward line did have all three of McStay, Hipwood and McInerney. Hopefully they can get some cohesion in there soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, again a little perspective here. The media is banging on about how the Hawthorn side is young & inexperienced vs a full strength Lions side. And sure, it's a far cry from the team that would be their best team in the season proper (the full strength team we destroyed twice last year ;)). But it's not like playing our NEAFL team. These are players on the Hawks senior list that haven't be able to break into the senior team as young players because their team has been filled with premiership players. Hodge came to us and could play a role as we were at a different stage development wise than the Hawks. They had third and fourth year players he was starting to hold back by playing on, we didn't have those types of players, so he could fill a role with our club. Sure these hawks don't have the afl exposure our young players do, but they are still developing & training against these premiership players in the hawks development system.

Don’t want to be too negative on young players but Hipwood looked totally lost today.

really? he competed for about 15 balls he just couldn't make one stick. Our forward line was so congested. He had a tough day but didnt look lost Imo.. nor did he stop trying. He is not that big target.. he is a hit up forward who needs to use his speed and agility. Our whole forward structure is questionable.

Surprised how quick Linc McCarthy is. Neale, Rayner and Lyons were great. Taylor and Hipwood bad. Witherden cooked by 1/4 time.

Cutler walking around the ground with compression bandage on left leg and slight limp. Anything on that ?

Surprised how quick Linc McCarthy is. Neale, Rayner and Lyons were great. Taylor and Hipwood bad. Witherden cooked by 1/4 time.

Cutler walking around the ground with compression bandage on left leg and slight limp. Anything on that ?
Just asked Whiting on Twitter.

I reckon the sweet spot will be with one less tall.

Would much rather see:

Rayner - Hipwood - McCarthy
Bailey - McStay - Cameron
I guess the thing is all of the small/medium forwards you listed there are very capable of taking overhead marks (with Bailey perhaps being the exception). That does give you flexibility to go shorter, although I do think the new rules will mean 2 ruckmen will be the way to go. I'm just not sure how to make that work structurally without including mcinerney and dropping mcstay

I dont mind the 3 tall set up, they just need to work better together. Dont need 2 and sometimes all 3 of them going for the same ball. If it is a slow ball coming in and there is a pack they need to start taking up space and blocking for each other. Otherwise they need to be leading up the ground and pulling their defenders away. Omac and Hippy are damn tall and 1v1 deep near the goal square they will make defenders nervous. Need the crumbers getting front and square. Defenders dont follow the leads we can hit them up short and hippy can slot them from 50.

Midfield is still getting their rhythm, as is the forward line. Then they need to time things better together. It is a strength that we can pump the ball deep and score over 100 points without our tall forwards making an impact. Better movement will only opem up the scoring.

I guess the thing is all of the small/medium forwards you listed there are very capable of taking overhead marks (with Bailey perhaps being the exception). That does give you flexibility to go shorter, although I do think the new rules will mean 2 ruckmen will be the way to go. I'm just not sure how to make that work structurally without including mcinerney and dropping mcstay

Especially when you've got Dizzy, Adams and Andrews as our KPD - would be very easy to swing one forward when needed.

This is a pickle indeed. In a few years time when Hip can cover the ruck it won't be much of an issue, but until then....

I dont mind the 3 tall set up, they just need to work better together. Dont need 2 and sometimes all 3 of them going for the same ball. If it is a slow ball coming in and there is a pack they need to start taking up space and blocking for each other. Otherwise they need to be leading up the ground and pulling their defenders away. Omac and Hippy are damn tall and 1v1 deep near the goal square they will make defenders nervous. Need the crumbers getting front and square. Defenders dont follow the leads we can hit them up short and hippy can slot them from 50.

Midfield is still getting their rhythm, as is the forward line. Then they need to time things better together. It is a strength that we can pump the ball deep and score over 100 points without our tall forwards making an impact. Better movement will only opem up the scoring.

The problem with the three KPF is that they had last year to start to gel and I can't say I've seen much progress in how they work together from last year to the next. Obviously this was just one JLT game and as you said the mids need time to gel and we need to get used to Linc and Charlie, but if by a few weeks in this is still an issue then I really hope we drop one tall.

Match threads are always hilarious in retrospect. This one was no exception.

I particularly enjoy the good old reliable-

OUTS: Lester, Lester, Lester, Lester, Lester, Lester

INS: Anyone, Someone, Somebody, Some-otherfella, Anyone-else, PleasegodnotLester

Remove this Banner Ad

Back