Preview JLT- Lions v Hawks, Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex, Sunday March 3rd 12.40pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Something I'm keen to bring back is the Lions play of the day. Won't do a thread for it during pre season but any nominations?

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Fagan said a few weeks ago that the new rule changes will favour those with speed. From what I have seen this weekend he is dead right. A few times we looked exposed with our very slow backline Lester, Witho, Hodgey and rich. Bailey has speed and Harris is quite quick for a big man but the rest are not.
I think it has been a very good idea to play our best 22 in the jlts as clearly a number of our players are rusty (Zorko, Hodgey, Taylor, Mitch, Berry to name the ones which stood out to me). A couple of good hit outs playing together will help no end.

Something I'm keen to bring back is the Lions play of the day. Won't do a thread for it during pre season but any nominations?
Rayner’s first goal for mine!
Classic small forward craft - front and centre and pushed off his man at precisely the right time to score a classic crumbing goal.
He has a footy brain that kid!

And to be fair, Mitch actually played a lot better and was much cleaner after my post too.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Mitch as a player, however, prior to that post, despite giving everything (which always goes without saying) I thought he was rushed a lot of the time and fumbly.
p

Rushed is one of his tricks unfortunately. I'm tipping Mitch to her have big year. He loves a contest and fires up for to a challenge. Staying best 22 and getting another one year contract is definitely going to be a his biggest challenge yet. Odds are against him but ...

Lyons, Neale, and McCarthy all had significant impact and stood out. Gotta think that the addition of at least two of those onto last years team (allowing for the loss of beams, but he only played part of the season) means we are going to step up this season. Plus Cameron back.

Might take another few games to get it to gel but we are going to watch some pretty entertaining footy this year.

Looking forward to watching the replay but reckon Clugg played a great but underrated game. Finished with 27 but his drive through the middle and ended up with a whopping 11 score assists. I watched him closely as he was in my wing and his read of the play was very good. While our Lyons/Neale/Zorko wombo combo is very good, Clugg is a very, very good fourth string.

Bad comparison. Different era and different level of talent.
And different defensive structures these days as well.
There is no where near as much room to lead into these days as those blokes had, back in the golden era.
And as far as talent goes, I am pretty sure most of the old boys would say straight up that they wish they could do some of the things the boys can do these days. The talent is there, the space is not!

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And different defensive structures these days as well.
There is no where near as much room to lead into these days as those blokes had, back in the golden era.
And as far as talent goes, I am pretty sure most of the old boys would say straight up that they wish they could do some of the things the boys can do these days. The talent is there, the space is not!

Agree. Which team has had the best tall forward line of the last year or two? Would you say West Coast? Kennedy & Darling? They too are switching to a smaller forward line now. Not saying a three tall system can't work, but it would be a pretty big diversion from what most teams are moving towards. Hippy has to move further up the ground to utilize his assets, there's every chance he will have the same frame when he retires similar to Dustin Fletcher :) But he was a pretty handy player despite his frame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
While the 3 talls structure looked terrible today, the delivery nearly all day was nothing more than bomb it long. Brown/Lynch/Bradshaw would look crap when three defenders are in the one spot and can all spoil. Bez looked clearly effected by the effects of the glandular fever :(

I knew Neale was good, but he was clearly a class above everyone else on the ground today. McCarthy a pleasant surprise as I wasn't expecting so much so soon.

Eric can’t play long periods up field. He just doesn’t have the engine and when he is fatigued, the first thing to go is his pace, which is his best asset.

If we are set on playing all three talls, it has to be a shared responsibility to get up field.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe this is where Stef has an advantage over Oscar. He could play as a center half forward.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At the game today, not a bad crowd considering the weather was a bit suspect leading up to start time.
Can't comment to much on how we played, as i decided to take camera and concentrate on some photos for the day.
So anyone that was not able to watch the game the below link has 59 photos if anyone interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145366432@N03/albums/72157707300734764/with/33389609948/

Either just click on first photo and then go through each one. Or Click on small Monitor icon top right hand side for slide show

Last edited:

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking forward to watching the replay but reckon Clugg played a great but underrated game. Finished with 27 but his drive through the middle and ended up with a whopping 11 score assists. I watched him closely as he was in my wing and his read of the play was very good. While our Lyons/Neale/Zorko wombo combo is very good, Clugg is a very, very good fourth string.

Clugger better than Lyons.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
End of the day we did what was expected, not much more and not much less. There were some very good performances and a couple who will need some time to fully develop.

I hope we persist with Bailey and I would give Eli Smith a longer run next week.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Neale was great but McCarthy was awesome as well. We got him for what a 3rd round pick. Geelong couldn't get him on the park, he has completed every single session in his first completed pre0-season of his career. Kudos to the medical staff. If he can stay on for the majority of the season not only will he contribute quite a bit but other players around the competition, injury prone players will take notice and want to come to us. We will be able to get them at a bargain price and really be able to bring in quality players to our team. Just need to keep our medical staff together as l am certain they will be targeted by other teams, if not already

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am a little disappointed with our contested possession stat today. Against their b team I thought the CP differential would be greater.

Back