Preview JLT- Lions v Hawks, Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex, Sunday March 3rd 12.40pm.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McStay will never be our leading goal kicker. He just needs to play his role. Hipwood, Cameron, Rayner and even McCarthy and Zorko will be more dangerous in the forwardline. If McStay can kick 30-40 (which won’t be hard if he stops missing so many set shots) and creates space for the other forwards then that’s enough from him.

This would be an ideal front 6 if everyone is fit IMO.

Cameron Rayner, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy.
Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay + 1 rotating/resting Fwd- Lewy Taylor/Dayne Zorko/Jarrod Berry/Hugh McCluggage.

We desperately need McStay to step up, this is Dan's 6th season, it's time. If he can't I wouldn't mind seeing Marcus Adams given a go up front.
If Toby Wooller has a good start to the season? He could fill the role really well too.
He looks like a forward who likes to keep moving and lead up at the ball which would create a bit of space for Hippy in behind. In fact I think a forward line of Hippy, McStay and Wooller would work better than with O’Mac in the team. Although it probably leaves Walker to pinch hit for Stef.

I read the posts (god help me). There are multiple posts from me during the game. I agree that the tall forward setup needs tweaking. There have also been lots of posts, though possibly a minority, overreacting to JLT week 1 and the GC practice match.

All I'm saying is maybe some people need to calm down and realise that the season hasn't started yet and there is no need to extrapolate to a doom and gloom scenario yet.
Fair enough. No tanty here. For the final game against Melbourne I'll be looking for some greater semblance of system and cohesion in our game than was evident in either of our games so far. There was some nice link up play through the middle of the ground but as others have observed, no system thereafter except a long kick to a congested forward line. Early days but I still worry about our skill level. For those who didn't watch the TV on Sunday, Gerard Healy was asked what he took from attending our training last week and the comment that struck me was that he thought our skills were not great and the ball spent more time on the ground than he would have liked. The commentary also noted, I think quite fairly, the number of times a short kick or handball failed to find its target. Hopefully we will see improvement there in the next game as well.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If Toby Wooller has a good start to the season? He could fill the role really well too.
He looks like a forward who likes to keep moving and lead up at the ball which would create a bit of space for Hippy in behind. In fact I think a forward line of Hippy, McStay and Wooller would work better than with O’Mac in the team. Although it probably leaves Walker to pinch hit for Stef.
LOL, I was going to mention Toby Wooller, as the little I have seen of him I like the look of but I thought better of it as he hasn't even played a senior game yet. Even Connor Ballenden in for Dan McStay may be an option, Connor can genuinely play as that relief ruckman as well.

I hope the Demons play their best available 22 this weekend.

LOL, I was going to mention Toby Wooller, as the little I have seen of him I like the look of but I thought better of it as he hasn't even played a senior game yet. Even Connor Ballenden in for Dan McStay may be an option, Connor can genuinely play as that relief ruckman as well.

I hope the Demons play their best available 22 this weekend.
Pretty sure they will because I don’t think they did this week!
I Love O’mac And I love his endeavour and when Stef fades it will be a genuine fight between he and Archie as to who takes his spot. But I just don’t think he is ready for a predominately forward role.

I just hope we play well and show some structures in the next match.

Also, no injuries. How bad is Camerons hammy?

I genuinely think that the way the boys played on the weekend is the structures that were set in place.
If we moved the ball quickly through our defensive end and into our forward line quickly, we were hitting up targets.
But if there was a stoppage just outside our forward 50, which happens often in a game. Then we were just bombing it long (I believe as directed) to have the 3 big fellas contest in the air if they got it to ground, the ball was being locked in or goals kicked from the crumbs. Not all the time but they did have 27 shots on goal in the game.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Hippy has a tendancy to position himself at the drop of the ball too soon. Making it easier to be nudged under it.
Rather than hanging back a bit and then push off his opponent and lunge forward at the ball at the last moment.
Although when the ball is continually put on his head it makes it a bit hard for him.
That is what made McCarthy’s kick to Rayner such a beauty, because he put the ball to where he wanted Rayner to run.
Yeh I tend to think it's a bit of A and B where A is our forwards haven't quite got the timing or ability to check their runs and B where the delivery is not dropping at the best spot.
When say Hippy runs under the flight at pace and barely has his outstretched fingertips on it as the opposition touches him ,it's more about him than the incoming kick. He's young I know.

Considering this scenario happens quite a bit with us not just Hippy but others as well.
We need another strong lead into the area behind the flight, space created , then we would clean up.
Nth Melb. used to do it , one player leads out to the kicker then, immediately another forward leads to the space behind him.
Their forward pattern running was like clockwork to watch, both of their players having good separation from their defenders.
Gave the kicker a short option or a long option in the same direction.
Continual leading even if it's unrewarded.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As far as expectation goes....that's a bit easier - continued improvement, evidenced by elements like starting the games well (not being 5 goals down at quarter time), more personnel to share the load (not relying on one or two players to dig us out of trouble all the time) and our bugbear over the last few years, that of allowing a run of 4-5+ goals to the opposition in a 10-15 minute window.

This is the piece I expect our new recruits will add most value. Ball returns to the middle after an opposition goal and I expect now we have a far better opportunity to win the next clearance. Hence slowing down the number of times opposition get a run of 4-5 goals on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some observations:

- I would like to go into a season at some stage and be able to say "wow the work we have put into our skills really is paying off". Fagan deprioritizing skills again I think condemns us to another year of mediocrity at best. If we are going to make a jump we need to be able to hit a target and we missed way too many on the weekend.
- our midfield works better when we don't have Zorko, Robbo etc in there. Leave it to Neale and the young brigade and I think we will be better off.
- speaking of Neale he looked very clean. He needs to run harder defensively if we are to improve though. Too much walking or casual jogging when the ball is turned over.
- we lacked a lot of pace in the backline. Lester was okay going forward but was caught out time and again for pace. Gardiner is not much better when he comes back. Personally I would love to see Allison play that medium /third tall defender role. His positioning is very good and he has height and pace.
- Hodge looked cooked. He may have been just mailing in a preseason game but he looked old and slow out there and did not add much.
- Bailey was solid at the back and was one of the few who actually looked quick in the back half. Witherden was poor given what he can do.
- Up forward we lacked for any real leading forward. Hipwood was not going strongly for the ball and was nudged under the ball all day with minimal contact. McStay was nowhere as usual (the coaching staff seem to like him but we rarely see him add anything). McInerney got up a bit but did not really threaten.
- McCarthy was one of the genuine bright lights of the game. I didn't think he did much exceptional but just did what you want when you want it. Positioning was good and he showed some genuine smarts. Rayner also showed some really good smarts up forward but looked knackered after even short burst efforts. I worry about him ever having the engine to play significant time through the middle.
- McCluggage looked classy at times. I think he is not far away from taking his game up several notches. He is significantly bigger than last year. Berry positioned himself well but was untidy with the ball. Not overly worried there but he does need some work done on making his skills more consistent.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Fair enough. No tanty here. For the final game against Melbourne I'll be looking for some greater semblance of system and cohesion in our game than was evident in either of our games so far. There was some nice link up play through the middle of the ground but as others have observed, no system thereafter except a long kick to a congested forward line. Early days but I still worry about our skill level. For those who didn't watch the TV on Sunday, Gerard Healy was asked what he took from attending our training last week and the comment that struck me was that he thought our skills were not great and the ball spent more time on the ground than he would have liked. The commentary also noted, I think quite fairly, the number of times a short kick or handball failed to find its target. Hopefully we will see improvement there in the next game as well.
I believe he also said that we "overused" the ball a lot (which North were also guilty of) and didn't take the correct option many times, which I think was evident to everyone. Cam Rayner is only young, but Healy was right a couple of times when Cam either had a shot (when he should have passed) or passed (when he should have had a shot), but hey, it was a pre season game with a lot to take home and a lot to learn. And no, none of this was directed at Cam in a negative manner given he was exceptional in getting as much ball as he did and making an impact on the game.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You just look at the winning forward structures of the last few years. It’s the pressure mediums and smells that give the most bang for your buck. With one or two big guys as a focus point. We did it so often last year way too tall. With McCarthy who looks a jet, Charlie back fit too I don’t know why we’re persisting with the giant forward line.

Rayner looks a gun in that medium forward role, we have the cattle now please Fagan end this terrible forward structure or we’ll pay all year for it
it's McStay IMO. he ruins out forward structure. Just doesn't work hard enough up the ground but tries to play close to goals taking space from Oscar and Hipwood, who should also move more.

it's McStay IMO. he ruins out forward structure. Just doesn't work hard enough up the ground but tries to play close to goals taking space from Oscar and Hipwood, who should also move more.

Wasn't impressed with Dan's game, but he did run up the wing a lot so don't think it was due to a lack of effort.

berrylicious

Rookie
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi all,

All in all, i thought we played well. Conditions were clearly not perfect, and for this time of year the skills are always going to be a bit scratchy. I look for the enthusiasm in the player's at this time of year, and sadly a few were lacking in this department for mine.

My observations for each player, feel free to add or comment further as i just call it as i see it. Apologies if it's too long.

Neale - His agility and vision out of the congestion was on show. Handball to kick ratio in favor of handballs, though I can’t recall any of them missing the target. Picks the right options, though at times felt he wouldn’t release due to team mates not being in the right position. With more game’s together will come awareness of each other’s thinking, will be truly valuable to us throughout the season.

Mathieson – Got plenty of the ball, though his use was not first rate. Seems to have built his tank further, will be on the fringe of best 22 during the season.

J Lyons – Got plenty of the ball. Nicely balance game, showed a bit of what he can bring to us. Liked his in close skills through congestion, has a strong core to break tackles. Kicking was not outstanding, though effective.

Rayner – If Mathieson didn’t have the nickname “Beastmode”, I would be giving it to this kid. Hits the packs hard, has genuine awareness and skills, likeable player and yeah………..superstar in the making.

McCarthy – Glimpse of what he can do. Breaks packs open in marking contests, is a strong mark, excellent kick, and great ground skills. Laid 8 tackles, applies great pressure and is a lock for us in the fwd pocket.

McCluggage – Was excellent without standing out, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Skills were slightly off target at times, but his positioning around the ground was first rate. Expect big things from suitcase this year.

Robinson – Usual self, hitting hard and applying pressure, though only laid 2 tackles. His blind kicking of the ball is what we get with Mitch, but definite lock for best 22 as he shows passion and always wills himself for the team. He’s a nutter, and feel the team walks taller when he’s about.

Rich – Good solid game, but can someone please sit him down and explain the new kick in rule? Needs to get some pep in his step.

Andrews – Nice game, glad he is in the backline and there he should remain. Took 7 marks, and plenty of spoils as usual. Skills were a bit rusty, seen him drop some easy marks but still a vital cog in our team. Still sometimes hard to believe he’s only 22, feels like he’s been around for years already.

A.Smith – Worked hard, though too many hitouts were not to our advantage. 4 solid tackles and applied good pressure, though still has concrete hands when marking. Will he be best 22? I don’t think he plays before Stef or Oscar, so a no from me.

Zorko – Just a solid game, went through the motions I suspect. Skills were a bit off at times when trying to hit simple targets, but is in for a big season I feel with the help of Neale and Lyons. Look for a standout year from our captain.

Lester – Nice game, but is still too slow at times. Good efficiency, but what position will he play this season, if gets a game at all? Not a best 22 lock for me.

McInerney – Still prone to the odd brain, his goal square fumble was a thing of beauty. Can bring the ball to ground for our smalls, and lays hard tackles for a big man. A tall presence, i can see him playing best 22 but i'm still on the fence.

Bailey – Good solid hit-out for him. 17 possessions and 8 marks, his run is super important and he gets to the right positions to receive. We’ve seen this last season, and judging by this game things haven’t changed. I suspect he will be given a free licence to take the game on at every opportunity. Half back flank, best 22 lock.

Witherden – Ordinary game, looked spent before ½ time. Skills were not up to his usual standard, and looked a bit lost at times when defending the incoming high ball. Not to be concerned, we know what he offers and hopefully is better for the run. Needs to sit down with Rich and discuss the new kick in rule also.

J.Berry – 21 possessions and 3 behinds. His skills were off slightly, and looked to be struggling at times. Only 2 tackles, I suspect the glandular fever had a bit of impact. Super player and can’t wait to see him in full flight this year.

McStay – Seems lackadaisical to me, I really think he doesn’t get it. Does impact contests at times, and does offer us something as a big unit, but I just think he’s capable of more. Backing the coaching staff to get him right.

Bastinac – Did some nice things when he came on, and laid 5 tackles. Still think he’s too slow for AFL now and is past it, happy to be proved wrong but don’t want him in our best 22.

Hodge – Did what is expected as always. Still looks in good nick, great leader that still offers us something and may play 15 games this year.

Taylor – Very poor game, just looked lost and lacking enthusiasm. Injury? Illness? Hopefully picks up next week, otherwise could be looking at some NEAFL time which would be a shame. Still think we can slot him into the best 22.

Starcevich – Liked his game, and thought he did well at half back. 6 marks and 9 kicks from half a game with excellent efficiency, looked composed, fit and enthusiastic. May have found a position on the half back flank, next week’s game will be an insight to where he may play this season. Knocking on the door for best 22, though I would love to see him have a regular spot.

Hipwood – Average game and well beaten, but also stiff not to receive a few more free kicks for pushing. Still can’t seem to find his right position, but I wouldn’t swap him for anyone else. Will be a genuine superstar, is a key to our future and will be backing the coaching staff to get the best from him.

Walker – Poor performance. Dropped some easy marks, and missed some simple targets. Didn’t lay a tackle, and seemed disinterested at times. I expect more, still a lock for 22 and hopefully was just blowing out the cobwebs this game. Will be watching closely next JLT.

Cameron – Was slightly off his game, though as would be expected after being out for so long. There were times when he was just so close to a clean getaway, but slightly fumbly. It will come, hopefully the hamstring is not a deterrence and will look for him to explode again soon. Lock for best 22, in the other fwd pocket with McCarthy could cause some headaches with our pressure.

E.Smith – Bull! Didn’t do a lot, but has a presence. Laid 3 tackles, and got a taste of the level. I suspect he will play more minutes next JLT, and we could be seeing him in the team during the season. Him and Rayner could be swapping the fwd/mid role?

Ballenden – Didn’t see much game time, but thought he did a couple of good things. Lovely kick, but a bit slow. Can’t see him playing seniors this year, but plenty of upside.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Starcevich boy oh boy if he can get up to averaging 20 touches a game he will dominate/ such a well rounded players that has amazing vision
Yep, lots of his posessions are just so classy. Reckon he will start off at HB before transitioning to midfield a bit like Heppel

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Playing devil's advocate; what we don't know are what the coaches instructions are to McStay.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi all,

All in all, i thought we played well. Conditions were clearly not perfect, and for this time of year the skills are always going to be a bit scratchy. I look for the enthusiasm in the player's at this time of year, and sadly a few were lacking in this department for mine.

My observations for each player, feel free to add or comment further as i just call it as i see it. Apologies if it's too long.

Neale - His agility and vision out of the congestion was on show. Handball to kick ratio in favor of handballs, though I can’t recall any of them missing the target. Picks the right options, though at times felt he wouldn’t release due to team mates not being in the right position. With more game’s together will come awareness of each other’s thinking, will be truly valuable to us throughout the season.

Mathieson – Got plenty of the ball, though his use was not first rate. Seems to have built his tank further, will be on the fringe of best 22 during the season.

J Lyons – Got plenty of the ball. Nicely balance game, showed a bit of what he can bring to us. Liked his in close skills through congestion, has a strong core to break tackles. Kicking was not outstanding, though effective.

Rayner – If Mathieson didn’t have the nickname “Beastmode”, I would be giving it to this kid. Hits the packs hard, has genuine awareness and skills, likeable player and yeah………..superstar in the making.

McCarthy – Glimpse of what he can do. Breaks packs open in marking contests, is a strong mark, excellent kick, and great ground skills. Laid 8 tackles, applies great pressure and is a lock for us in the fwd pocket.

McCluggage – Was excellent without standing out, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Skills were slightly off target at times, but his positioning around the ground was first rate. Expect big things from suitcase this year.

Robinson – Usual self, hitting hard and applying pressure, though only laid 2 tackles. His blind kicking of the ball is what we get with Mitch, but definite lock for best 22 as he shows passion and always wills himself for the team. He’s a nutter, and feel the team walks taller when he’s about.

Rich – Good solid game, but can someone please sit him down and explain the new kick in rule? Needs to get some pep in his step.

Andrews – Nice game, glad he is in the backline and there he should remain. Took 7 marks, and plenty of spoils as usual. Skills were a bit rusty, seen him drop some easy marks but still a vital cog in our team. Still sometimes hard to believe he’s only 22, feels like he’s been around for years already.

A.Smith – Worked hard, though too many hitouts were not to our advantage. 4 solid tackles and applied good pressure, though still has concrete hands when marking. Will he be best 22? I don’t think he plays before Stef or Oscar, so a no from me.

Zorko – Just a solid game, went through the motions I suspect. Skills were a bit off at times when trying to hit simple targets, but is in for a big season I feel with the help of Neale and Lyons. Look for a standout year from our captain.

Lester – Nice game, but is still too slow at times. Good efficiency, but what position will he play this season, if gets a game at all? Not a best 22 lock for me.

McInerney – Still prone to the odd brain, his goal square fumble was a thing of beauty. Can bring the ball to ground for our smalls, and lays hard tackles for a big man. A tall presence, i can see him playing best 22 but i'm still on the fence.

Bailey – Good solid hit-out for him. 17 possessions and 8 marks, his run is super important and he gets to the right positions to receive. We’ve seen this last season, and judging by this game things haven’t changed. I suspect he will be given a free licence to take the game on at every opportunity. Half back flank, best 22 lock.

Witherden – Ordinary game, looked spent before ½ time. Skills were not up to his usual standard, and looked a bit lost at times when defending the incoming high ball. Not to be concerned, we know what he offers and hopefully is better for the run. Needs to sit down with Rich and discuss the new kick in rule also.

J.Berry – 21 possessions and 3 behinds. His skills were off slightly, and looked to be struggling at times. Only 2 tackles, I suspect the glandular fever had a bit of impact. Super player and can’t wait to see him in full flight this year.

McStay – Seems lackadaisical to me, I really think he doesn’t get it. Does impact contests at times, and does offer us something as a big unit, but I just think he’s capable of more. Backing the coaching staff to get him right.

Bastinac – Did some nice things when he came on, and laid 5 tackles. Still think he’s too slow for AFL now and is past it, happy to be proved wrong but don’t want him in our best 22.

Hodge – Did what is expected as always. Still looks in good nick, great leader that still offers us something and may play 15 games this year.

Taylor – Very poor game, just looked lost and lacking enthusiasm. Injury? Illness? Hopefully picks up next week, otherwise could be looking at some NEAFL time which would be a shame. Still think we can slot him into the best 22.

Starcevich – Liked his game, and thought he did well at half back. 6 marks and 9 kicks from half a game with excellent efficiency, looked composed, fit and enthusiastic. May have found a position on the half back flank, next week’s game will be an insight to where he may play this season. Knocking on the door for best 22, though I would love to see him have a regular spot.

Hipwood – Average game and well beaten, but also stiff not to receive a few more free kicks for pushing. Still can’t seem to find his right position, but I wouldn’t swap him for anyone else. Will be a genuine superstar, is a key to our future and will be backing the coaching staff to get the best from him.

Walker – Poor performance. Dropped some easy marks, and missed some simple targets. Didn’t lay a tackle, and seemed disinterested at times. I expect more, still a lock for 22 and hopefully was just blowing out the cobwebs this game. Will be watching closely next JLT.

Cameron – Was slightly off his game, though as would be expected after being out for so long. There were times when he was just so close to a clean getaway, but slightly fumbly. It will come, hopefully the hamstring is not a deterrence and will look for him to explode again soon. Lock for best 22, in the other fwd pocket with McCarthy could cause some headaches with our pressure.

E.Smith – Bull! Didn’t do a lot, but has a presence. Laid 3 tackles, and got a taste of the level. I suspect he will play more minutes next JLT, and we could be seeing him in the team during the season. Him and Rayner could be swapping the fwd/mid role?

Ballenden – Didn’t see much game time, but thought he did a couple of good things. Lovely kick, but a bit slow. Can’t see him playing seniors this year, but plenty of upside.
I suspect the boys are holding back on their plans with the kick outs from full back. Cannot believe Fagan has not got a plan in place considering he was on the rules committee that helped bring in the changes. The intraclub game is closed so a fly on the wall may well report back that a number of different option will end up being fine tuned.

I also felt the game style changed after the 1st qtr when we stopped bringing it into the centre corridor early. Only a practice game and a few thing being held back I reckon.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Hoping we get many more highlights this year like the buildup to the rayner goal at 0:30 in the vid - Cameron-McCarthy-Rayner on leads with excellent penetrating kicks to the forward's advantage.

If we can keep McCarthy fit he is going to be such a big upgrade on the #2 small forward from last year.

Back