Preview JLT- Lions v Hawks, Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex, Sunday March 3rd 12.40pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

I only saw bit's and pieces of the game. What are everyone's thoughts on Starcevich's chances of playing Round 1? I really like the skill set he brings to the side.
I really like him, got high hopes that he could be integral to our side when he develops, think he will be a slow burn tho. I don't believe that he will be round 1 as there are too many people in front of him but would hope he gets plenty of senior opportunities this year. Hopefully he can nail a spot down back or in the middle as he just is such a good decision maker.

Agree with the concerns with forward line like most other posters I'll stick my hand up and say hipwood is a massive concern but the one thing I will give him a bit of leeway with is our ball movement is way too slow at times got so frustrated with the sideways or backward little chips especially against hawks they love having time to get 15 blokes back defending simply no room for forwards to lead.

Just watched the replay. A few things I took out of it:

1. Once we upped our defensive pressure, we had the game won. We didn't do it near enough, but we turned the heat up when fatigue started showing which really helped us end quarters better. It definitely felt deliberate as opposed to just the opposition slowing down so I reckon that attitude will definitely help us moving forward.
  2. Our run and carry look great....IF we don't fumble every second attempt at ball movement. I don't think I've ever seen a game at Burpengary that has had good skills and I don't suspect I will in the future. We absolutely need to put a greater emphasis this week on out ball movement.
  3. As others have said and as it was apparent watching live - our forward structure and/or coaching is absolutely wayward. No doubt the coaches will be onto it. Personally I'd love to see one or Ballenden or Fullarton get a go in JLT 2 up forward and let McStay play seconds. Hipwoods effort was there but timing was off. McStay did run hard but didn't look like he had his heart in it.
  4. Christensen will be a nice addition when he's back this/next week. Need is class off the half back. Would love to see Cox get a shot too.
  5. Stef needs to play this week and see how he can work with our mids. Our midfield group is bloody exciting and really toweled the young Hawks up and would have done far more damage if it weren't for fumbles.
  6. Eli Smith is a beast. His tackling hurts and his ability in congestion is obvious and exciting. Like Starc, it'll be all about developing the tank to get from contest to contest and looking at 20+ touches a game. If they both can do that then our depth will take a big step forward
  7. Rayner is incredible. He can do it all and I'm still pinching myself we've got someone that talented committed to the club.
  8. McCarthy is a jet. If he and Cameron stays fit we've got 30+ goals from the both of them in 2019. If Hippy can get 40+ and another forward can too, then we will click up wins.
  9. Neale is next level good. Zorko took it easy but once both are fired up their work both ways and ability to win the ball will be great
  10. Rich will be a weapon for us this year. He is super fit and ran out the game very well. His overlapping runs and deliveries inside 50 were awesome to see. Clearly a deliberate strategy and one opposition coaches will have to actively coach to avoid which is a + for us.

I am glad I never have to watch that game again. Huge improvement needed to compete with West Coast but we've got the time to do it. Don't expect us to win but expect us to be competitive. Melbourne will be a good test.

I suspect the boys are holding back on their plans with the kick outs from full back. Cannot believe Fagan has not got a plan in place considering he was on the rules committee that helped bring in the changes. The intraclub game is closed so a fly on the wall may well report back that a number of different option will end up being fine tuned.

I also felt the game style changed after the 1st qtr when we stopped bringing it into the centre corridor early. Only a practice game and a few thing being held back I reckon.

Fair point LongLion. Agree fully that Fagan must have a plan, but me personally i would like to see them trying it now. What's the point to role it out in round 1 if there is a plan? I watched all the other games, and the majority of teams were quick to play on. Even if it wasn't a long kick down the middle, i would have liked Rich to move a bit quicker. Maybe his options down field weren't great, so that puts the onus on the targets movement. Just seemed a bit slow to me, and hopefully it won't continue.

Get Rich to take kick outs. The obvious play is to play on, get Hodgey to do his signature shepherd the man on the mark move, Rich takes a 25m run and hits up a target on the lead somewhere around the forward flank.

At the game today, not a bad crowd considering the weather was a bit suspect leading up to start time.
Can't comment to much on how we played, as i decided to take camera and concentrate on some photos for the day.
So anyone that was not able to watch the game the below link has 59 photos if anyone interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145366432@N03/albums/72157707300734764/with/33389609948/

Either just click on first photo and then go through each one. Or Click on small Monitor icon top right hand side for slide show

Great shots! Mind if we post some on the Moreton Bay Lions Facebook page?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back