Game Day JLT- Matchday Discussion Carlton@Collingwood(Morwell Reserve- 2:10PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't watched the second half yet but Crocker... I just don't get him! He actually appears to have a pretty good tank, and gets in really good spots. Hell, he even does good kicks in field play here and there.

But he just kept killing momentum as if he was too scared to make a decision, holding the ball up. If he could fix this issue and make the most of his opportunities in front of goal, he'd be hard not to give a game.

Unfortunately the same issues seem to haunt him in the VFL as well though. He's better than what people on here give him credit for, but I would agree it hasn't quite clicked for him yet.

Didn't get a chance to watch the game. Was at Mornington Peninsula Hot Springs all day getting massages and facials and s**t like that.

Recorded the game and will endeavour to provide expert comments
Should we get Bolton?

Music has Mchael Bolton.

Football has Brendan Bolton.
Micheal might be available, might be hard prying him away from the lucrative talking book industry though :(

Thanks for the context! For me he just doesn’t work as a fwd because he isn’t clean enough at ground level with his chronic case of the fumbles and he isn’t an option overhead. His work rate at ground level is second to none, but the games moved on from pressure fwd’s, IMO.

Early season I like him v Hawkins more than Roughead because I think he’ll be more competitive on the lead which is how I expect Hawkins will get his ball rather than wrestling. Could the lack of Stephenson have also brought about the switch?

Hah it doesn’t really, but it’s a better sign than being iced up at the time or in the hands of trainers! I think I’ll wait until tomorrow morning when the sharks are circling at Olympic Park medical before I can breathe easy.
*ing hope Goldsack doesn’t actually play forward next week, doubt he will

Hard to get excited about this game. For us it was mostly a "friendly" match, Carlton went hard to win in the end.

So glad they didn't. Don't want them to have the satisfaction of a win, even a meaningless one.

I am not going RD 1 as I been in Noosa. My 1st Game I be going to when I get back is Anzac Day. Be away from the 21st and head back around the 21st of the next month

I love Noosa. It's everything that's great about Queensland. Have a happy time Dave. :thumbsu:

I haven't watched the second half yet but Crocker... I just don't get him! He actually appears to have a pretty good tank, and gets in really good spots. Hell, he even does good kicks in field play here and there.

But he just kept killing momentum as if he was too scared to make a decision, holding the ball up. If he could fix this issue and make the most of his opportunities in front of goal, he'd be hard not to give a game.

Unfortunately the same issues seem to haunt him in the VFL as well though. He's better than what people on here give him credit for, but I would agree it hasn't quite clicked for him yet.

I think he's like a version of Mayne, but without the experience. He might get there one day -- he's playing on the wing.

Will be up tomorrow if you have a live pass

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jen, do you know why it always loads quite a bit after the game?

Drives me mad when I want to watch it back.

Though I do like the game cut up into quarters - makes it quite easy to watch a really good quarter again.

Didn't get a chance to watch the game. Was at Mornington Peninsula Hot Springs all day getting massages and facials and s**t like that.

Recorded the game and will endeavour to provide expert comments during the week.

Hope everyone had a great day re.
That is a seriously good place to visit - did you dream of kebabs in the Turkish steam room?

Hard to get excited about this game. For us it was mostly a "friendly" match, Carlton went hard to win in the end.

So glad they didn't. Don't want them to have the satisfaction of a win, even a meaningless one.

Interested to see why a few posters here think Collingwood were taking it easy? Is it because of the scoreline that you didn't win by more?

I know there were some managed minutes, for example Howe only playing a half, that wouldn't happen in a real game. You also gave game time to 24 players to our 22.

But from watching the game it looked to me like both teams were going in pretty hard...the pace and intensity was quite high from start to finish.

And the structures looked pretty much the same as what both teams will use in round 1...not like Buckley and Bolton were simply experimenting. Heard most coaches and players say in interviews that they treat JLT2 seriously as a full dress rehearsal for round 1 to get their structures/cohesion in place so they aren't mucking around.

Jen, do you know why it always loads quite a bit after the game?

Drives me mad when I want to watch it back.

Though I do like the game cut up into quarters - makes it quite easy to watch a really good quarter again.

No clue why they do that. Something to do with Telstra maybe?

No clue why they do that. Something to do with Telstra maybe?
You might be right on that.

Or their agreements with the networks and Foxtel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solid showing today from the boys, very happy with Treloar first up. Fingers crossed that Billy is indeed cherry ripe for round 1. And Cal Brown very impressive too, looking forward to him forcing his way in at some point, I just don't think it will be next week

Interested to see why a few posters here think Collingwood were taking it easy?
Probably because the intensity that we were used to seeing last year just wasn’t there.

Sorry bud, but our boys barely got out of second gear...

Interested to see why a few posters here think Collingwood were taking it easy? Is it because of the scoreline that you didn't win by more?

I know there were some managed minutes, for example Howe only playing a half, that wouldn't happen in a real game. You also gave game time to 24 players to our 22.

But from watching the game it looked to me like both teams were going in pretty hard...the pace and intensity was quite high from start to finish.

And the structures looked pretty much the same as what both teams will use in round 1...not like Buckley and Bolton were simply experimenting. Heard most coaches and players say in interviews that they treat JLT2 seriously as a full dress rehearsal for round 1 to get their structures/cohesion in place so they aren't mucking around.
Obviously no one can play at 100% all game, however my impression came from bursts of greater intensity here and there after their opponent bested them or a Carlton goal. For example Varcoe's smother in the centre after his tackle was shrugged. With the odd exception we didn't chase, tackle or run with anything close to the same vigour as we displayed at the back end of 2018.

Look at how low our tackle count was (we still won the tackle count i think so maybe you guys were half assing it too because neither team cracked 60 tackles)
Beams in particular gave minimal effort imo

Yep throttled back and played the percentages - best practice is to have as many players as possible cherry ripe for the big dance in 6 months time - not winning a ridiculous and irrelevant 'entertainment' for the sheep who believe it actually means anything except a glorified training run.
Easy tiger. For a minute there, I thought you were being logical!

We are only supposed to be emotional, cynical, and short tempered around here :drunk:

Seriously though, love your outlook. I caught myself wanting to belt them today too, but I'll gladly wait for round 1 against Geelong, at the 'G :D

We were saying the same thing about Mayne this time last year.

It’s curious, he looked to play a lot of gametime (3 quarters) in both forward and defensive lines. The club clearly have some faith in him.

I don’t think he did too badly. My biggest knock on his performance today was that when we were free flowing he would stop with the ball and hold up play.

My suspicion is that he seems to be favoured due to his ability to get to the right spots. Which is the opposite to Daicos.

If you could combine Daicos' pure skill with Crocker's running and ability to get to the right spots, you'd have some player. But skill can't be taught so I'd choose Daicos all day long.

Sorry if that came across like they weren't trying; the players don't like to lose and we had a few that were going 100%. On the flipside Beams, Pendles, & Howe were in cruise mode.

My bestie is a blues fan, the week would have been unbearable if we had lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back