Game Day JLT- Matchday Discussion Carlton@Collingwood(Morwell Reserve- 2:10PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

The only bloke that seemed to give 110% was dale thomas. That flog should have been delisted after 5 years and 2.5 million in lost salary cap revenue for Carlton. Not sure if he was playing for his career or had something to prove but he is a shell of the player he was at the pies 😂

I haven't watched the second half yet but Crocker... I just don't get him! He actually appears to have a pretty good tank, and gets in really good spots. Hell, he even does good kicks in field play here and there.

But he just kept killing momentum as if he was too scared to make a decision, holding the ball up. If he could fix this issue and make the most of his opportunities in front of goal, he'd be hard not to give a game.

Unfortunately the same issues seem to haunt him in the VFL as well though. He's better than what people on here give him credit for, but I would agree it hasn't quite clicked for him yet.

For players to get to that level, they need to have a sense of where their team-mates are and what they’ve doing. “I’m on the wing facing the left defensive pocket, we’re going into attack, so I should expect to see JT over my left shoulder and Goldsack over my right, I‘ve noticed that JT’s opponent’s has been wearing him like a glove so I’m instantly going to turn right where I expect to see Goldsack, handball. there he is, release, boom!”. That’s how players like Pendlebury and Beams do it. And it’s probably more instinct than thinking - because there isn’t much time to think.

Both Moore and Roughead are strong intercept markers too; while it may cost us at times that ability is invaluable and will cause headaches for the opposition.

Still better then having Goldsack and Howe in those postions

Thanks for the context! For me he just doesn’t work as a fwd because he isn’t clean enough at ground level with his chronic case of the fumbles and he isn’t an option overhead. His work rate at ground level is second to none, but the games moved on from pressure fwd’s, IMO.

Early season I like him v Hawkins more than Roughead because I think he’ll be more competitive on the lead which is how I expect Hawkins will get his ball rather than wrestling. Could the lack of Stephenson have also brought about the switch?

Hah it doesn’t really, but it’s a better sign than being iced up at the time or in the hands of trainers! I think I’ll wait until tomorrow morning when the sharks are circling at Olympic Park medical before I can breathe easy.

I agree with both of your points, except the bit about the game having moved on from pressure forwards. The game has moved to the point where all forwards are expected to be pressure forwards, therefore you can't rely on just pressure, because the good forwards apply pressure and also are dangerous.

Having read peoples observations of the match and seeing the disparity in disposals between both sides it would appear that we deliberately played a slow high possession game in periods and enacted our plan B.

No doubt we did this looking towards the game against Geelong who if I recall correctly defeated us last year by effectively slowing the way we wanted to move the ball (plan A) which ended up forcing us to often kick long to a wall of tall intercepting Geelong defenders.

They then counter attacked with a patient kick mark game that looked to keep the ball out of our hands and minimized our ability to cause a turnover that resulted in a fast rebound.

By all reports this is similar to the method they used successfully against Essendon in JLT2.

Sorry if that came across like they weren't trying; the players don't like to lose and we had a few that were going 100%. On the flipside Beams, Pendles, & Howe were in cruise mode.

My bestie is a blues fan, the week would have been unbearable if we had lost.

Two of my best mates came for dinner last night, one from Sydney and one from Japan.
Have not seen either for a few years.
Both are Cartoon supporters.
Dinner was excellent, as was the roast.:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you watch Kayo on your tv without adding all these extra connections?
I haven't actually checked that.

*Runs to google*

Okay apparently they have apps in the pipeline. I have an LG Smart tv myself, but for the moment they seem to only have chromecast from your laptop as the option.

Still, $25 a month for just sport. Not to bad. Foxtel wants you to pay far more than that, and mostly have the extras over the sport too.

Would recommend. They have replays of the finals series last year on there. There is one called "Grand Final" I would steer clear of, however ;)

Though had some real Shanks of Kicks yesteday
Yeah agree TD, I rate Crisp but I thought his kicking was a bit average yesterday.
TBH, I was really only happy with Moore and to a lesser extent Rougheads
disposal.
Plenty of improvement in defence after yesterday.
Especially Howe, he was very well down.
Few in defence need more game time

Yeah agree TD, I rate Crisp but I thought his kicking was a bit average yesterday.
TBH, I was really only happy with Moore and to a lesser extent Rougheads
disposal.
Plenty of improvement in defence after yesterday.
Especially Howe, he was very well down.
Few in defence need more game time

Howe was Badly Under Done. Looked a Mile off it yesterday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back