Game Day JLT- Matchday Discussion Carlton@Collingwood(Morwell Reserve- 2:10PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not going RD 1 as I been in Noosa. My 1st Game I be going to when I get back is Anzac Day. Be away from the 21st and head back around the 21st of the next month
Be nice for you to come back to Melbourne and we’re undefeated.

:)

I disagree with that.

Some of our players were clearly taking it seriously (eg: Varcoe, C.Brown, Treloar) and some were clearly cruising (eg: Beams, Pendlebury, Howe)

Moore and Elliott was taking it seriously, sometimes too seriously

I am not going RD 1 as I been in Noosa. My 1st Game I be going to when I get back is Anzac Day. Be away from the 21st and head back around the 21st of the next month
Have fun in Noosa TD.

How did grundy go? Seemed last’s prolific than usual

Started Really well but was Hurt at start of last qtr but played it out so was nothing too bad.

Though the best Piece of play today was when Grundy got the Ball in the Midfield and took a Bounce and Ran then Kicked on his Left Foot and put it down 1 of our Forwards Throat:thumbsu:

Anyone else see that dodgy boundary umpiring going our way in the last Quarter? I've been doing boundary umpiring in the EFL going 4 years now and I've never seen anyone miss those before.

There was a passage by Crisp, second quarter I think, sublime.

Good to Actually have a FB and CHB in the team
Both Moore and Roughead are strong intercept markers too; while it may cost us at times that ability is invaluable and will cause headaches for the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t catch a minute of this one, but looking at the numbers the best I can make of it is that without Adams, Sier, Wills and with Beams on restricted minutes we struggled a bit at the stoppages. We overpossessed which is probably a sign of a more makeshift fwd setup. We had the 4 lowest TOG players so played with Rd 1 more in mind. Three goals between McKay, McGovern and Curnow is a tick for the defensive group.

For me the composition of the Rd 1 team is teetering between cause for concern and comfort in the knowledge that we will field a team strong enough to topple Geelong. Does Goldsack stay in as a FWD (assumption based on his stats)? Does Crocker stay in on a wing? Does Sier make his way back for an inside midfield role? Did Elliott really get through unscathed? You would hope all of Stephenson, JDG and Sier can make their return for Rd 1 so who misses?

In 2018 selection settled down a lot which played a massive role in our resurgence. It should be easy to come to 4 or 5 with Brown x 2, Crocker and one of Goldsack/ Roughead making way, but there’s still that lingering doubt for me when it comes to selection. Overall the past month of pre-season has gone almost to script pending Elliott’s fitness because I expected to enter the season with at least 4-5 walk up best 22 missing and right now it’s only Adams and WHE with fresh injuries that will rule them out. Tentatively optimistic is where I stand 11 days out 👍

Does Goldsack stay in as a FWD (assumption based on his stats)
Goldsack played the first quarter in defence before being switched around a couple of times. At a guess he would have spent 60-65% of his time forward. Perhaps the injury to Reid the day before brought on a rethink?

I didn’t catch a minute of this one, but looking at the numbers the best I can make of it is that without Adams, Sier, Wills and with Beams on restricted minutes we struggled a bit at the stoppages. We overpossessed which is probably a sign of a more makeshift fwd setup. We had the 4 lowest TOG players so played with Rd 1 more in mind. Three goals between McKay, McGovern and Curnow is a tick for the defensive group.

For me the composition of the Rd 1 team is teetering between cause for concern and comfort in the knowledge that we will field a team strong enough to topple Geelong. Does Goldsack stay in as a FWD (assumption based on his stats)? Does Crocker stay in on a wing? Does Sier make his way back for an inside midfield role? Did Elliott really get through unscathed? You would hope all of Stephenson, JDG and Sier can make their return for Rd 1 so who misses?

In 2018 selection settled down a lot which played a massive role in our resurgence. It should be easy to come to 4 or 5 with Brown x 2, Crocker and one of Goldsack/ Roughead making way, but there’s still that lingering doubt for me when it comes to selection. Overall the past month of pre-season has gone almost to script pending Elliott’s fitness because I expected to enter the season with at least 4-5 walk up best 22 missing and right now it’s only Adams and WHE with fresh injuries that will rule them out. Tentatively optimistic is where I stand 11 days out 👍
If it makes you feel any better about Elliott, he walked out to the 3qtr time huddle unassisted and unhindered, despite not playing.

Goldsack played the first quarter in defence before being switched around a couple of times. At a guess he would have spent 60-65% of his time forward. Perhaps the injury to Reid the day before brought on a rethink?

Thanks for the context! For me he just doesn’t work as a fwd because he isn’t clean enough at ground level with his chronic case of the fumbles and he isn’t an option overhead. His work rate at ground level is second to none, but the games moved on from pressure fwd’s, IMO.

Early season I like him v Hawkins more than Roughead because I think he’ll be more competitive on the lead which is how I expect Hawkins will get his ball rather than wrestling. Could the lack of Stephenson have also brought about the switch?

If it makes you feel any better about Elliott, he walked out to the 3qtr time huddle unassisted and unhindered, despite not playing.

Hah it doesn’t really, but it’s a better sign than being iced up at the time or in the hands of trainers! I think I’ll wait until tomorrow morning when the sharks are circling at Olympic Park medical before I can breathe easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back