Game Day JLT Pre Season rnd 2 Port v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I have this terrible feeling now about the first qtr vs the Swans. I seem to recall what happened the last time we played them there.
If you are an opposition player/coach, it must be refreshing to know that against us you only need to work hard for the first quarter and then relax for the rest of the game.

edit: unless you want to build your % up which we also seem too keen to facilitate.

Too many of the kicks into the forward line were taken away too easily. They may have been hoisted in too high to competitions where St Kilda had the advantage or often were just bad kicks. One in the first quarter Westhoff had an easy pass to put it on the chest of one of our players and he lifted it over his head from 30 metres away for Jake Carlisle to mark it. And we would not punch from the back. From the very start when they threw Riewoldt back to provide an extra tall in defence we were beaten in the air.

Was Dixon playing in the second half when Eddy came on?

Yeah he was. Apart from a wicked bump he didn't do a whole lot though.

I'm willing to cut him some slack, it's the first game and he missed most of preseason. I have no doubt he will get better over time and could cause problems for the opposition with Eddy and Jacko/Ryder helping him out.

The inability of our talls (all of them) to impact on marking contests saw us smashed in the air. We were insipid in that aspect of play in particular.

Edit: Hombsch was pretty good
I thought Ryder and JT were good in that aspect.

Still want Trengove ruck Ryder FWD.

The inability of our talls (all of them) to impact on marking contests saw us smashed in the air. We were insipid in that aspect of play in particular.

Edit: Hombsch was pretty good
My buddy Hombsch was totally awesome and my other buddy DBJ didn't put a foot wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Ryder and JT were good in that aspect.

Still want Trengove ruck Ryder FWD.

Ryder was very poor in the first quarter, couldn't spoil to save himself, but worked his way back into the game when moved forward.

On a different note, we had zero hit outs to advantage at three quarter time. Not sure as to the final tally.

I'm not sure why everyone is surprised at what we dished up? They looked exactly as I thought they would - exactly the same as last year! And the year before that...

What makes people think that another pre-season is going to magically transform us into anything more than a 50/50 prospect every time we step onto the field?

I think people are annoyed at not being surprised

I'm not sure why everyone is surprised at what we dished up? They looked exactly as I thought they would - exactly the same as last year! And the year before that...

What makes people think that another pre-season is going to magically transform us into anything more than a 50/50 prospect every time we step onto the field?
Because Ryder (0 hitouts to advantage) is back and hartlett (8 possessions at 62.5% and 3 clangers) will dominate in defence. :drunk:

For people who are claiming it's the apocalypse because of a NAB JLT match, I've had a quick look into correlation with practice form and H/A form. It's a little iffy given the small sample size of practice matches played vs H/A matches, but I think it still tells a decent story.

Below is the scatter plot of final ladder positions for both NAB and H/A "seasons". If there was a perfect correlation between practice form and H/A form you'd see a perfect diagonal line from bottom left to top right, but clearly this isn't the case - with significant variation all over the board. In fact, there is a slight weighting to the bottom right: teams do well in the NAB cup but do poorly in the H/A.
NAB v HA.png

Some significant differences between NAB and H/A:
- 2014 North: 17th NAB, 6th H/A
- 2015 Brisbane: 1st NAB, 17th H/A
- 2016 Fremantle: 1st NAB, 16th H/A
- 2016 Melbourne: 2nd NAB, 11th H/A
- 2015 Hawthorn: 10th NAB, 3rd H/A
- 2015 WCE: 14th NAB, 2nd H/A

In 2016 the average difference between NAB ladder position and H/A position was 4.4, while 2015 and 2014 were 5.1.

I get that people can criticise based on poor standards of play, poor form in a match by a player, etc. but this I just thought I'd throw some numbers behind the assertion that NAB form doesn't really give any sort of indication of H/A form.

I thought we were done for pace (especially in the first). The saints seem to outnumber us at every contest. I really can't see us playing Lobbe, Ryder, Dixon, Trengove, Westhoff and Jonas all in the same team. Good height but scarifying a lot of pace, the big boys need to hold marks if that's the way we want to go. You can't allow the op to crumb off our big like they did last night. After the first I liked how the backs managed to stop the bleeding which is something we didn't do well last year. Also I thought the forwards locked the ball in the 50 at times and the saints really had trouble trying to move it on which was nice to see.

For people who are claiming it's the apocalypse because of a NAB JLT match, I've had a quick look into correlation with practice form and H/A form. It's a little iffy given the small sample size of practice matches played vs H/A matches, but I think it still tells a decent story.

Below is the scatter plot of final ladder positions for both NAB and H/A "seasons". If there was a perfect correlation between practice form and H/A form you'd see a perfect diagonal line from bottom left to top right, but clearly this isn't the case - with significant variation all over the board. In fact, there is a slight weighting to the bottom right: teams do well in the NAB cup but do poorly in the H/A.
View attachment 339611

Some significant differences between NAB and H/A:
- 2014 North: 17th NAB, 6th H/A
- 2015 Brisbane: 1st NAB, 17th H/A
- 2016 Fremantle: 1st NAB, 16th H/A
- 2016 Melbourne: 2nd NAB, 11th H/A
- 2015 Hawthorn: 10th NAB, 3rd H/A
- 2015 WCE: 14th NAB, 2nd H/A

In 2016 the average difference between NAB ladder position and H/A position was 4.4, while 2015 and 2014 were 5.1.

I get that people can criticise based on poor standards of play, poor form in a match by a player, etc. but this I just thought I'd throw some numbers behind the assertion that NAB form doesn't really give any sort of indication of H/A form.
Is what I've been trying to say only you nailed it perfectly:)

Trying to decide whether I should bother watching a pre-season match. Haven't even seen the score yet.

Going to try not to be too dismissve or disappointed. Its the first game of the preseason. We were sloppy, we know that but I'm choosing to believe we will go up instead of down.

SPP showed some signs but his disposal, one of the points hotly debated during the draft, needs work. The composure will come with more time hopefully. Tipping Houston to be like the DBJ bolter this year, especially if we falter in the second half of the year, maybe play around 5-8 games. Showed some signs.

Jacko was massive, Hombsch playing at superhero levels, Wines bull like. Dixon worrying me a little. At GC, looked capable of tearing games apart and always appeared threatening. Has seemingly gone downhill since joining us.

At round five, we should have a clearer picture of where our season is headed. I'll reserve judgement until then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back