Game Day JLT Pre Season rnd 2 Port v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to decide whether I should bother watching a pre-season match. Haven't even seen the score yet.

Would you bother watching a chess game being played in outer space? That's what watching AFL is like these days.

I hate when Kern throws Polec in the back pocket. Put him in the middle or on the wing.

Also nothing to worry about Eddys kicking. Most of them were on pretty tough angles maybe apart from 1.

Upgrade him and having him leading inside 50.

The last quarter we dominated but it was like the first quarter against the Hawks in the 2014 prelim. Nearly every time St Kilda went inside 50 they scored; at 11.29 we had been in 8 times to their twice but the last quarter score was 1.1 apiece. When Karl Amon kicked our last goal we had been in probably 6 or 7 more times to just 2 more from them.
Irrespective of the result, though, as we could have snagged a win, it was not a great hitout as so many of the Saints better players were off the field towards the end.

Sat next to KT at Etihad last night. He was as flat as a s**t carters hat at quarter time. Couldn't imagine living that Rollercoaster all year.
Never heard that one before.... Love it.

s**t Carters Hat
In the days before modern plumbing the Night Soil Man (s**t carter) would pay weekly visits to one's home to collect the sewage receptacle (large metal can) and leave an empty one. This service was usually arranged by the local government authority (the council). As the can was large and heavy the s**t carter would often place the can on his head, in order to take it back to the s**t truck. To make this task more comfortable he would wear a padded hat. The hat would, over a short period of time, become very flat on top due to the weight of the load.
"Strewth mate, the surf today is as flat as a s**t carters hat."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never heard that one before.... Love it.

s**t Carters Hat
In the days before modern plumbing the Night Soil Man (s**t carter) would pay weekly visits to one's home to collect the sewage receptacle (large metal can) and leave an empty one. This service was usually arranged by the local government authority (the council). As the can was large and heavy the s**t carter would often place the can on his head, in order to take it back to the s**t truck. To make this task more comfortable he would wear a padded hat. The hat would, over a short period of time, become very flat on top due to the weight of the load.
"Strewth mate, the surf today is as flat as a s**t carters hat."

You can use it

He was happy to chat and I reminded him that it's Only Feb.

monfries & white will be lucky to play again imo, eddy already looked better than dixon because he knows how & when to lead

i know its only preseason but all the problems we had last year were still there, you cant hide from that
That's completely wrong. We are a much better team with Monfries at half forward instead of S.Gray or Impey. Neither of those two are damaging around goals. White definitely has a place still, he may be struggling on and off with injury, but boy is he damaging when fit. He may only get 10-15 possies a game, however he breaks the lines and creates run and drive. It also provides the threat of what can occur and teams need to put in place defensive measures to protect against it.

Dixon missed 3 months of training mate. He basically had an ankle reconstruction and this was his second hit out, after only a half in the intra club. Are you really claiming Eddy is better than him? Sorry but that is just completely ridiculous. I loved what Eddy did and he should be in the round 1 team, however as the second foil to Dixon. If Eddy was the number 1 forward in a serious game, he would struggle. As the second or third stringer, that's a different story.

I had two real concerns, however will temper my thoughts due to preseason. Wines and Westhoff. God the skills are just frustrating. I will let it slide as it is round 1 of preseason, however I will be watching closely. We can kind of get away with Westhoff's poor foot skills up forward, sounds odd but we can. However we cannot get away with it if he is going to be playing on the wing and sliding across the half back line. Turnovers there create instant goal opportunities.

For the people slamming and hanging Boak, I was at the game and he was not anywhere near as bad as players suggesting. Yes he made a few mistakes, but he was actually one of the only ones getting the ball. Finished with the most disposals and as the game went on he started to settle down and be a lot cleaner. Put Gray back in that midfield and Boak/Wines/Wingard/Ebert etc. all start to play better. Gray is our best player and best midfielder by a long long way. He is as important to us as Fyfe is to Freo, Danger to Geelong, Sloane to Crows, Pendles to Collingwood etc and so on. He is a top 5 player in the game. I am so damn excited to see Gray roving to Ryder for a full season. I think it would be a pretty good bet to put money on Gray for the Brownlow.

To be fair to both teams, neither deserved to win that s**t show.
Almost like it was the first hit out for the year, hey??

Woeful first quarter then worked into the game after that.

I have this terrible feeling now about the first qtr vs the Swans. I seem to recall what happened the last time we played them there.

I sort of don't bother thinking about our games against the Swans individually anymore, it's easier to just lump them all together as one great big embarrassing display of incompetence and inferiority.

Almost like it was the first hit out for the year, hey??

Woeful first quarter then worked into the game after that.
I am with this

but if we are doing this come our 3rd preseason game we should be worried.

Now Saints are touted as one of the teams who will push top 8, we creamed them after qtr time. If anything the score board flattered them not us.

But in saying all this I am not taking any of it with me as it's just was our first hit out for us and them. It meant nothing.

I'm not sure why everyone is surprised at what we dished up? They looked exactly as I thought they would - exactly the same as last year! And the year before that...

What makes people think that another pre-season is going to magically transform us into anything more than a 50/50 prospect every time we step onto the field?
Several times throughout the summer the coaches stated that a lot of work had been done on our skills and ball movement.
None of this was evident last night. None. Nothing.
That is why i am disappointed and from what i've read there are few others on here who feel the same.

With regards to our ball movement i want to know what is our strategy/plan when we have taken a mark or win a free kick inside our own defensive 50.
With the exception of a few kids no one is prepared to play on and move it quickly. No one is prepared to run off their man and support the ball carrier.
Instead we get players slowing it down and bombing long to a contest we are out numbered in or kicking it short a few times which allows the opposition to push back before we then kick it long.

For people who are claiming it's the apocalypse because of a NAB JLT match, I've had a quick look into correlation with practice form and H/A form. It's a little iffy given the small sample size of practice matches played vs H/A matches, but I think it still tells a decent story.

Below is the scatter plot of final ladder positions for both NAB and H/A "seasons". If there was a perfect correlation between practice form and H/A form you'd see a perfect diagonal line from bottom left to top right, but clearly this isn't the case - with significant variation all over the board. In fact, there is a slight weighting to the bottom right: teams do well in the NAB cup but do poorly in the H/A.
View attachment 339611

Some significant differences between NAB and H/A:
- 2014 North: 17th NAB, 6th H/A
- 2015 Brisbane: 1st NAB, 17th H/A
- 2016 Fremantle: 1st NAB, 16th H/A
- 2016 Melbourne: 2nd NAB, 11th H/A
- 2015 Hawthorn: 10th NAB, 3rd H/A
- 2015 WCE: 14th NAB, 2nd H/A

In 2016 the average difference between NAB ladder position and H/A position was 4.4, while 2015 and 2014 were 5.1.

I get that people can criticise based on poor standards of play, poor form in a match by a player, etc. but this I just thought I'd throw some numbers behind the assertion that NAB form doesn't really give any sort of indication of H/A form.
JLT or not just like last year we had no direction and no form of structure in the way we played. You can sugar coat the crap out of it all you want but until I see a game plan where we can clear our defence from a behind or hit a target on the lead I will not be convinced.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

i don't think we look like a team at all and our gameplan seems to be a fast guy will get it to a tall guy and the fast guys will get to the contest and we'll try to overwhelm with numbers. does anyone see a unit out there? i saw a bunch of individuals?? no aggression in our play because nobody has a team to stand up for. our captain is super nice, everyone is nice, who is physical apart from Dixon and JT?

i don't think we look like a team at all and our gameplan seems to be a fast guy will get it to a tall guy and the fast guys will get to the contest and we'll try to overwhelm with numbers. does anyone see a unit out there? i saw a bunch of individuals??
I saw Hombsch, Houston lacing people out and the rest shitting in their hands and clapping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back