Game Day JLT Pre Season rnd 2 Port v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, it must have been the only hitouts he got for the 70% of the time he was on the ground cause he ended up with 6.

He's got awhile to go.
Yeah after the first 5 minutes or so he struggled - which is what I expected given his time out of the game. If the 2 I thought were better than 50/50, CD didn't give them to him and said no one won, then another 3 for the rest of the game sounds about right from what I saw.

Well, it must have been the only hitouts he got for the 70% of the time he was on the ground cause he ended up with 6.

He's got awhile to go.

Tinnnnn roof RUSTY

At the moment I am wanting to write Boak off as just rusty getting the feel for it.

The only problem is Stevens getting 21 possessions with 39% tog.

I sort of expect to see this from Boak in a game like this.

Lobbe played fine.
As a payed member I'm taking no pitty on this squad this season. I've had a gutful of these types of basic skill errors continually happening over and over. He volleyballed the pill to three players around him putting them under pressure when he could of easily marked it. Inexcusable at this level really.

Aint this ^ the truth and the improvement under Ken? imo one of the most damning things about our coach.
iirc at one stage last year in Sydney the score was 54-0. We knew our foot skills were poor last year so we made that a focus of
our pre-season. Is it any wonder we're angry thru' frustration.
Just listened to Ken's presser at 5:32 he says "be wrong if I didn't like seeing Hombsch and Jonas out there big tough etc"
Hombsch was outstanding as for Jonas well.......for the record his TOG was 91% for 3 kicks and 2 h/balls.
When we were under the cosh in the 1st Qtr he had 1 possession. Perception's a funny thing isn't it.

Jonas was great. How many times he made sure his man couldn't get to the fall of the ball so Hombsch could mark it I lost track of.

People are worried about offensive structures, but seriously, the Dogs won the flag last year through their defence. There's a lot to work on, but the foundation for a premiership comes from keeping a side under 85 points.

At the moment I am wanting to write Boak off as just rusty getting the feel for it.

Steven had the benefit of knowing he was coming off the ground early so he could run harder. At that pace he'd be up for 50 possessions if he played the whole game.

People seriously need to get a handle on what these games are about. I thought we played exceptional defensively and ok offensively - and I agree that we should be investing in AFL size posts for Alberton.

Why were the Saints able to come out breathing fire while we gave hardly a whimper?

Probably correlates to the fact the Saints barely gave a whimper for the remaining three quarters.

Jonas was great. How many times he made sure his man couldn't get to the fall of the ball so Hombsch could mark it I lost track of.

People are worried about offensive structures, but seriously, the Dogs won the flag last year through their defence. There's a lot to work on, but the foundation for a premiership comes from keeping a side under 85 points.

Steven had the benefit of knowing he was coming off the ground early so he could run harder. At that pace he'd be up for 50 possessions if he played the whole game.

People seriously need to get a handle on what these games are about. I thought we played exceptional defensively and ok offensively - and I agree that we should be investing in AFL size posts for Alberton.
Possibly but the excuses for him are becoming too much.

But like I said first game for them and us. We will get a clearer picture as the preseason goes on.

Also holy s**t Jack Steven played 39% of the game and ended up on 21 touches.

That doesn't mean squat really. Put a body on him and he gets under half that. He's notorious for not handling a tag. I just hope shed loads of people pick him in fantasy football, based on that half.

Jonas got rekt by a couple of perfect kicks to Membrey early on but he was fine after that.

Hartlett and Westhoff, on the other hand? Woof.
I do remember 1 really good long kick from deep in the back half from Hartlett which Paddy marked nicely then proceeded to turn over.. How a bloke can kick like that and then muff really basic passes is perplexing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's what I see when I look at Bonner going for that run:

ac9e37d3f452316d42735c4ffd6bac3a.png

Completely burnt Polec who was in a better position and had the option of switching quickly to Ebert who was running in support or handballing to Pittard who was pushing up from defence.

3e693a4278a7b3685e787a3d57f297be.png

He has the opportunity to give off an attacking handball to at least three players at this point - who were all running in support. One of those players was Pittard - so we were down to Hartlett with Clurey, Jonas and Hombsch at the back. Pittard at least would have been able to run the ball a bit deeper into the 50 and hit a target.

Instead, he kicks to a contest under pressure with his legs fatigued from going on a long run. If we want to overload a side with run, please use your teammates and don't do it yourself for this reason. Kthnx.

Was more impressed with Powell-Pepper's give and go and subsequent hit on the player following Bonner. That's teamwork.

Trying to decide whether I should bother watching a pre-season match. Haven't even seen the score yet.

Depends if you want to get anything out of the games. Because if you do, you'll be disappointed.

I'll give you a football analogy. I saw Real Madrid v Manchester City at the MCG once, for a pre-season friendly. On paper the game of a lifetime. In reality, I'd rather have watched paint dry.

Here's what I see when I look at Bonner going for that run:

ac9e37d3f452316d42735c4ffd6bac3a.png

Completely burnt Polec who was in a better position and had the option of switching quickly to Ebert who was running in support or handballing to Pittard who was pushing up from defence.

3e693a4278a7b3685e787a3d57f297be.png

He has the opportunity to give off an attacking handball to at least three players at this point - who were all running in support. One of those players was Pittard - so we were down to Hartlett with Clurey, Jonas and Hombsch at the back. Pittard at least would have been able to run the ball a bit deeper into the 50 and hit a target.

Instead, he kicks to a contest under pressure with his legs fatigued from going on a long run. If we want to overload a side with run, please use your teammates and don't do it yourself for this reason. Kthnx.

Was more impressed with Powell-Pepper's give and go and subsequent hit on the player following Bonner. That's teamwork.

Think you're being too harsh there. Great to see a young player have the confidence to TRY things in a TRIAL match. I won't disagree that there were safer options that he could have taken but part of our downfall last year was our inability to capitalise on turnovers. Bonner was able to transition the ball from mid d50 to mid i50 in the space of about 6 seconds. Given how heavily both teams were crowding the middle of the ground and leaving the 50s open, that was an impressive play and one that will be important if we are to improve.

I basically liken it to Pittard. He's going to make some mistakes but I've already seen him mature as a footballer in the last 18 months so I think there will be a lot of positives to come. The bigger picture outweighs the little things. Besides he kicked it long to a 1 on 1 contest that was neutralised - that's an effective kick so we can't criticise too much.

Boak and Wines both warmed into it after half-time, but it was like they needed Atley to show them how to position themselves around the contest to do so. For a trial game, Boak actually looked more interested than previous years, it's just that he had a horror first quarter and his fumbling didn't get better at any stage during the game. He's far from a clean, crisp ball handler anymore.

Steven is a gun. There's no doubt we performed better as a result of him going off at half-time. But that is a bit counter-balanced by Robbie not being out there at all.

Last edited:
Boak and Wines both warmed into it after half-time, but it was like they needed Atley to show them how to position themselves around the contest to do so. For a trial game, Boak actually looked more interested than previous years, it's just that he had a horror first quarter and his fumbling didn't get better at any stage during the game. He's far from a clean, crisp ball handler anymore.

Stevens is a gun. There's no doubt we performed better as a result of him going off at half-time. But that is a bit counter-balanced by Robbie not being out there at all.
Wines I thought was on from the get go. The only one.

Boak was much better after half time.

As bad as Hartlett was with the ball last night I must call you out on this. HH laid a whole raft of effective spoils last night. His defensive ability isn't a problem at all for me, in fact in the back half I trust him to win most contests he is involved in. For me it is his lacklustre attitude and his lazy kicking especially when that kick should be the ultimate weapon.

Agreed. The things he shouldn't be good at he was and vice versa.

As bad as Hartlett was with the ball last night I must call you out on this. HH laid a whole raft of effective spoils last night. His defensive ability isn't a problem at all for me, in fact in the back half I trust him to win most contests he is involved in. For me it is his lacklustre attitude and his lazy kicking especially when that kick should be the ultimate weapon.

All told we're paying an awful lot for him to play as a dime-a-dozen second year flanker

As a payed member I'm taking no pitty on this squad this season. I've had a gutful of these types of basic skill errors continually happening over and over. He volleyballed the pill to three players around him putting them under pressure when he could of easily marked it. Inexcusable at this level really.

Yeah looks like he had the timing and approach right there he should have backed himself in. Although he might have given a few supporters heart attacks at taking an actual contested grab.

Wouldn't say he could have 'easily' marked it, that sort of mark is never 'easy'.

This on the other hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back