Game Day JLT Pre Season rnd 2 Port v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting little tidbits from the match feed:

St Kilda is up to 27 clanger kicks, six more than it recorded per game in 2016 and 14 more than Port Adelaide in this game.

The Saints won just one hitout-to-advantage in the first half. They won six in the third quarter with Patrick Ryder off the field.

Since quarter-time the Power have generated 14 scores from 24 inside 50s while the Saints have generated just five scores from just three fewer inside 50s.

That goal to Jack Billings (1:02 into Q3) was the first sourced by either team from a centre clearance. St Kilda lead the centre clearance count 7-2.

That goal to Chad Wingard was the Power's first from a turnover, ending a sequence of eight behinds from this source.

To make things worse it wouldn't surprise me if the Crers win by 10 goals tonight. With icing on the cake T.Menzel getting bog, kicking 5 goals with 20 possessions at 100% efficiency.
Who gives a **** they suck and will be found out as usual

Lobbe is in good form at the moment which could be the Lade factor? Looks fit and firing.

My impressions:

1. I think Ollie is almost ready for the captaincy, he's one of the few out there besides Trengove that look physically and mentally invested in the outcome of each contest.

2. In isolation you consider that maybe some of our players weren't going in hard for the contest in an effort to not injure themselves in a throw-away-practice game. But this doesn't account for the fact that our disposal and skills are dreadful under perfect conditions.

3. Eddy looks good at this early stage and a natural replacement for Schulz, would have loved to have seen him kick a goal or two for his own confidence.

4. Early impressions, but Wingard doesn't look like a natural midfielder to me. He's more deliberate and composed with his disposals, the frantic burst of pace and disposal required for the midfield seems like it'll take some adjusting to for him. If our midfield are struggling then we'll have no choice but to rotate him forward, the exact to what you do when a player isn't touching the footy.

5. I don't want to be too negative but that first quarter is the template for our round 1 game vs Sydney, we are going to get crushed in the first quarter while the Swans take their foot off the pedal and coast in the second half to help us tie the margin back.

6. The admission of 'work-to-be-done' this late in the pre-season/early season by our coaching staff is sending real warning signs to me.

I totally agree with this, which in my opinion is pretty bloody un professional. We've known for a while we have Sydney and Adelaide in the 1st few weeks of the season.

I'd like to know how much match simulation we actually did at training? No wonder we don't have any injuries atm, they were all placed in cotton cool by the looks of it over summer.

Depends if you want to get anything out of the games. Because if you do, you'll be disappointed.

I'll give you a football analogy. I saw Real Madrid v Manchester City at the MCG once, for a pre-season friendly. On paper the game of a lifetime. In reality, I'd rather have watched paint dry.
I know what you mean. I generally hate watching soccer pre-season friendlies - they're meaningless but due to a lack of stuff to talk about, people try to analyse and make far too much of them. I imagine aussie rules friendlies must be similar

My impressions:

1. I think Ollie is almost ready for the captaincy, he's one of the few out there besides Trengove that look physically and mentally invested in the outcome of each contest.
Ollie and Trengove were the two who most looked like they were concerned with the result
2. In isolation you consider that maybe some of our players weren't going in hard for the contest in an effort to not injure themselves in a throw-away-practice game. But this doesn't account for the fact that our disposal and skills are dreadful under perfect conditions.
Westhoff kicked over the top of a players head from 30 metres, passes in the midfield continually missed the man, giving the Saints time to run us down. And often the man going for the ball would let it bounce when they could have taken it on the full, risking a bad bounce which more often than not came.
3. Eddy looks good at this early stage and a natural replacement for Schulz, would have loved to have seen him kick a goal or two for his own confidence.
Would have liked to have seen Eddy taken onto our list earlier, if he had been then Hinkley may be more ready to put him on the starting team.
4. Early impressions, but Wingard doesn't look like a natural midfielder to me. He's more deliberate and composed with his disposals, the frantic burst of pace and disposal required for the midfield seems like it'll take some adjusting to for him. If our midfield are struggling then we'll have no choice but to rotate him forward, the exact to what you do when a player isn't touching the footy.
Wingard should be able to kick 50 goals from a forward position, why fiddle around with what has worked?
5. I don't want to be too negative but that first quarter is the template for our round 1 game vs Sydney, we are going to get crushed in the first quarter while the Swans take their foot off the pedal and coast in the second half to help us tie the margin back.
Saints kicking for goal in that first quarter gave us a chance, the Swans will not do that.
6. The admission of 'work-to-be-done' this late in the pre-season/early season by our coaching staff is sending real warning signs to me.
Not all bad - we were coming back in the second quarter even while Jack Steven was on but our poor kicking for goal and a late error that allowed a goal stopped us being within a goal at half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we don't want him to stagnate. We want him to become a champion. We need his smarts around the ball. And he'll get frustrated being stuck in the forward line

If averaging 50 goals a year for his career is stagnating then we can do a lot worse. We significantly diminish our scoring capacity with him as a full time middle.

Sent from mTalk

I've wanted Wingard in the middle since I first saw him. His ability to read and stay ahead of the game and to find an outlet, he's first to the drop and first to see what next. I think he'll be worth more goals in the middle, either with first hands or disposal inside 50. Yes he needs to adjust to the physicality.

A small thing - watch the way Chad attacks the ball with his tackling. More and more quick chains of handball are needed to clear congestion in the middle. Chad is exceptional at breaking this up, at spilling the ball.

Not writing him off. Just saying his strengths are better used where he can help the team kick goals - how games are won.

Sent from mTalk
The loss of not having him up forward will be made up for in time as he learns his craft

Think we'll be OK with one of him or r gray up forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back